What Do You Cook Indoors When Weather Is Too Bad To BBQ?

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
It is 19 degrees in Marblehead, 12 miles north of Boston. We have just dug out of our first winter snow storm and are getting ready to face another storm that is due to roll in late tonight. BBQ and grilling are not in the cards for at least a few days, and I am looking for suggestions for things to cook indoors. The other day I tried homemade bread. It turned out OK but the process is too slow and drove me nuts. I have never tried to make chili. Does anyone have a good recipe?

I have a 7# brisket flat on the WSM now! It's 28 outside and snowing heavily!
The coldest smoke I had was 10 with a good 15 mph wind. I had a heck of a time keeping the ECB up to temp even with a windbreak. When the weather is really nasty in the winter I grill on my wood burning fireplace.

Doesn't snow here and doesn't get all that cold, but when I want to cook indoors PORK CARNITAS are always great!

Also cioppino. I'm thinking about making this tomorrow

I like a thick meaty chili with a little kick to it...

This is great in a bowl or on enchiladas...

Truck Stop Chili

Ingredients

* 3 lb. Chuck roast (assuming you don't have
any left over brisket!)
* 1/2 lb. bacon, diced
* 1 lb. onion, chopped
* 1 TB cumin
* 3 TB chili powder
* 2 tsp. paprika
* 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
* Salt and pepper to taste
* ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
* 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
* 1 (13 ¾ oz) can beef broth
* 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
* 2 dried chipotle chilies or from a can in Adobe sauce
* 1 c. water, optional
* Additional chopped onion for garnish

Directions

1. Cut beef into 1/4-inch cubes. In Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove; reserve. Remove all but 1 T drippings; reserve. Over high heat, saute beef in batches, adding drippings as needed. Remove to bowl; over medium heat, saute onions in any remaining drippings 10 minutes or until well browned. Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium heat. Add cumin; cook 1 minutes or until very fragrant and toasted Stir in chili powder, paprika, oregano, pepper, salt, thyme and cinnamon. Stir seasonings and garlic into onions; saute 1 minute. Stir in bacon, broth, tomatoes, chiles and beef, breaking up tomatoes with wooden spoon. Heat chili to boiling; reduce heat. Partially cover; simmer gently 3 hours or until beef is tender, stirring frequently toward the end of cooiing time to prevent sticking and adding water if necessary if mixture is too thick. In bowls, serve chili topped with chopped onion.

I wonder how long it will be until Chris moves this thread to the Recipes forum...I say at 8p EST tonight.

Vac-u-sealed Q from the deep freeze is what I usually reach for. If none, I agree with Kevin, a nice chili, stew, or gumbo (hmm…gumbo, that sounds good….).

larryr, wutcha mean it don't snow in the valley?? its snowed twice here since i moved here in 86. raichlin has a nice indoor cookbook that might help those with an itchy finger.

It's snowing like crazy here… made some home baked wheat bread, and either gonna make a killer mac and cheese, Tyler’s Ultimate style Tyler's Ultimateor maybe toss together the ultimate comfort food….. Meatloaf w/garlic mashed potatos. Maybe dream about better weather and what to cook next on the bbq!

Originally posted by Bob H.:
It is NEVER too cold to Q or grill!

I'm with Bob. Last year I even Q'd for a group of folks in (with wind chill) negative degree weather and made what I thought some of the best Q I've ever produced. Although I did end up with a very nice case of frostbite on my hands. But that was my fault, I shoulda used gloves while I was outside. NEVER ever too cold to Q. Heck I'm Q'in a pork shoulder tonight once I get off of work. 'Sides, snow just makes a nice backdrop to your shiny black WSM.

Adrian

I -slip-slided- my way out to the garage last night over a layer of ice to get the lump and chimney...started on the side burner and did a 5 oz marinated flank over the chimney…wow…definitely worth the effort…I agree with Bob H…..it is never too cold.
That being said…it is really bad outside….the gumbo was excellent.

I don't know what "weather is too bad to BBQ" means. Please explain.

Its in the high 20's here today. I shoveled 16" of snow and ice off the deck this morning to cook my hi-temp 12 pound packer. Another 3" of really big flakes came down before I cut off the flat to rest. The point is cubed and cooking in a pan for burnt ends.

Tonight I've got a pair of butts I'll be cooking over a 15# chuck roll. I hope the weather doesn't get "too bad to BBQ."

Jim

Hmm. Weather too bad. Nope, can't get the concept!
icon_smile.gif

A windbreak and overhead protection from rain and you should at least be able to fire up and smoke a whole chicken for a couple of hours.

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
I don't know what "weather is too bad to BBQ" means. Please explain.

Its in the high 20's here today. I shoveled 16" of snow and ice off the deck this morning to cook my hi-temp 12 pound packer. Another 3" of really big flakes came down before I cut off the flat to rest. The point is cubed and cooking in a pan for burnt ends.

Tonight I've got a pair of butts I'll be cooking over a 15# chuck roll. I hope the weather doesn't get "too bad to BBQ."

Jim

I can't help but hear the home improvement guy grunting while I read your post!!!

Adrian

larryr, wutcha mean it don't snow in the valley?? its snowed twice here since i moved here in 86.

Really, it's snowed here before? WOW, I relocated here in 2001 and haven't seen thank god. Moved here from San Mateo (no snow there) and to San Mateo from Salt Lake City, plenty of snow there, more than I wish to remember.

Defining insanity ...

It just won't stop - those are snowflakes in the picture.

I setup my WSM around noon today, it is on top of a oil drip pan. When I went to start cooking this evening, the lid had become frozen to the center section. I used a kitchen blowtorch to melt it loose. I even had to hack out a little nook under the snow on the patio table for my thermometer.

But it is relatively warm, and there is absolutely no wind. A great night to smoke.

Jim

Wow I didn't know you couldn't Q in bad weather.
icon_biggrin.gif

We don't get a lot of major snow storms here in Ohio. But 2 years ago when we got that 18" of snow the wsm was stoked and making us a great meal.

The worst thing for smokin is the wind. I have a 3 sided wind break and haven't looked back. I have had R2D2 going with the temps in the single digits, snow and/or 30 mph wind. Haven't let it keep me down. The worst part about the cold is having to go out to check on things. On occasion I will put off a cook if there are thunder storms. Mainly just so I don't have to get soaked several times.

It's 9F outside, snow is falling, and I'm just heading out to do a batch of Roadside Chicken. In consideration of the temperature I will be cooking indirect and basting less frequently.

You *knew* you were going to get replies like this, didn't you
icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin's chili recipe looks tough to beat. If it looks daunting, the simplified version with a pound of ground beef, a few strips of bacon, a big onion, a couple cloves of garlic, a couple tablespoons of chili powder, a big can of pasta sauce and a few shots of Franks hot sauce is good too. I always add a can of red kidney beans and a dollop of jerk seasoning paste but either of those will get you in trouble with some people
icon_eek.gif

re: homemade bread, try to score some sourdough starter from someone or start your own. It's even slower than regular yeast, of course, but the slower rise times let you spread the baking out over a couple of days and you never notice the time. Makes a big difference in taste and how well the bread keeps as well.

Back