What Do You Cook Indoors When Weather Is Too Bad To BBQ?

Worse weather I have had to deal with is rain - much like tonight (74 and occasional showers). Right now I have two butts cooking, with a brisket flat ready to add in the very early morning hours. But, that is one advantage of living here in central Florida.

Originally posted by Rick Angiel:
Worse weather I have had to deal with is rain - much like tonight (74 and occasional showers). Right now I have two butts cooking, with a brisket flat ready to add in the very early morning hours. But, that is one advantage of living here in central Florida.

Oh 74º and a little rainy...you poor baby.
icon_biggrin.gif

We have just dug out of our first winter snow storm and are getting ready to face another storm that is due to roll in late tonight. BBQ and grilling are not in the cards for at least a few days, and I am looking for suggestions for things to cook indoors. The other day I tried homemade bread. It turned out OK but the process is too slow and drove me nuts. Does anyone have a good recipe?

You have gotta try this for bread. Multi use recipe. A real keeper. Have even used it for pizza dough. Awesome.
No-Knead Bread

Defining insanity ...
Jim, that's great! We're spoiled in central TX. Tonight it will freeze, but nothing like most of the nation will experience. When it gets nasty, (translates as too lazy to go out), I like a good batch of chili, homemade soup or pizza. Lately I've been on the upward learning curve with pizza dough and how it responds to the saltillo tiles in the oven.

and I am looking for suggestions for things to cook indoors
John,

No snow here this weekend but a lot of wind and rain. Last night I made enchiladas with some leftover smoked turkey. The chopped smoked poultry really kisks up the enchiladas.

Ray

Well, I woke up to 6" on the ground and it's snowing so hard I can barely see across the road but I am still planning on smoking up a couple racks of spares. I'll just have to shovel my way to the WSM. It's under a shelter that I built this fall off the back of my deck in anticipation of days like this. They should be ready for the second half of the Pats/Jets game.

Smoke on!

Temperature was 15F last night, the wind was blowing, but I was able to cook pizza on the smoker around 425F. No problem with the weather. I read some info on this site, decided that I would just like the charcoal at the bottomon the grate, and just cooked the pizza on the top rack. Turn out great, and wouldn't have wanted to do it in the oven.

Dave

Originally posted by Chris Brown:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We have just dug out of our first winter snow storm and are getting ready to face another storm that is due to roll in late tonight. BBQ and grilling are not in the cards for at least a few days, and I am looking for suggestions for things to cook indoors. The other day I tried homemade bread. It turned out OK but the process is too slow and drove me nuts. Does anyone have a good recipe?

You have gotta try this for bread. Multi use recipe. A real keeper. Have even used it for pizza dough. Awesome.
No-Knead Bread </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second the no-knead bread! Outstanding when it is like this outside
(view from window this morning)
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/doleary703/DecSnow001.jpg

Andy and Dave,

You guys are talking about your snow and cold weather - but where are you located? You can put your location in your profile and it will help us understand what your conditions are.

It is rainy and 54 degrees here today.

Ray

Hi Ray. How do I go about putting my location on the site? When I log into the Groupee site, I cant find anywhere to do this.

Dave,

Click on your name inthis note and drag down to "View DaveK's Public Profile. That takes you to your profile. Click on the edit button near the top of the page and you can add your location, e=mail if you wish, and other items.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Andy and Dave,

You guys are talking about your snow and cold weather - but where are you located? You can put your location in your profile and it will help us understand what your conditions are.

It is rainy and 54 degrees here today.

Ray

Ray,
I've added my location to my profile. The snow has changed to sleet and it's currently about 20 deg. Here's some pics of what it looks like out there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41563561@N00/sets/72157603474475001/

SMOKE ON!
Andy

I smoked up a brisket and a Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster today on the WSM during the Nor Easter that hit us here on the east coast on Sunday. Here in Lanc PA we had freezing rain and rain with high winds.
icon_biggrin.gif
I really can't think of anything to cook indoors if you really want to eat some BBQ. Brave the elements and have at it. My favorite is grilling or smoking during a snow storm. It's just so peacefull
wsmsmile8gm.gif

smoking during a snow storm. It's just so peacefull
Bryan,

Reminds me of when I was dating my fiance (now my wife). She lived in Broadheadsville, PA and I bought her a Weber grill. She thought I was crazy when I grilled a turkey on the back deck when it was really snowing (total of 14 inches). The turkey made a believer out of her.

We missed the nor'easter down here. It was only 49 degrees yesterday with rain - better than all the ice you got.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Ray

We did what we usually do when a storm hits like yesterday's snow, ice and rain. Chinese food takeout
icon_smile.gif

Ray, you did say that you bought the grill for her, right?
Well - kinda! I ws living near Philly at the time and already had my own Weber - so technically it was for her. Funny thing is that she has never, ever even used it! Ha!
icon_cool.gif

Merry Christmas to you and Jack.

Ray

Back