What do you clean the grate with?

I used to use a brass brush. But it didn't get the hard stuff iff easily. But what I really didn't like was that it was leaving a brass coloring to the grste. Thus my switch to ss.

Yup, I have used a brush on grates before but have not needed it for the q grate. But I would certainly use one if I ever run into a bad one.

I don't think it did any damage to the grill grates. These are older Q grills and I am not even sure if they had ceramic coatings to start with.

I'm not sure if the grates have changed with the newest "Q" models but mine have all had (according to Weber) ceramic coated grates but the process does not leave a glossy coating they look more like seasoned cast iron. Anyway on a couple of Q's I simply chucked a wire brush in my angle or die grinder and had at them until all gunk and rust was gone. Then put them on the grill and gotten them good and hot and wiped them down with cooking oil. Never had an issue with them. I simply go after them with my Libman wire brush after a cook or just before and if needed a little more oil on a rag but really have not had any trouble and not ever replaced a grate

So, this Billy Bar thingy? Does it work well on the Weber Q grates. The add shows it being used on the kettle grill stainless grates. I am just wondering if the notch on the end fits the iron/ceramic coated grates that are used in the Q grills?

I doubt it would. The Q grates are spaced pretty tight and they're not rounded. This tool is made more for wider spaced rounded or wire type grates. Also if the grates you use it on are porcelain coated they'll be toast.

Kind of my thinking as well, but this thread is in the "Weber Q" forum, so it made me wonder.

I started the thread to specifically ask about the Q. So far, I haven't found anything very satisfactory to me. The brushes leave a lot of dust behind on the grates since there are a lot of flat spots. I guess it hasn't effected my food.. but I still don't like it. I like keeping things clean.

Other than this, I have to say, I LOVE my little Q. Wife got me the collapsible cart and light for it.. I really can't wait to hit the road with it.

qu7vVmh.jpg

So, That looks like a Q1000 series grill. Did it come with the fold out shelves. I wish I had them for my grills. I have two Q100's and a Q1400 (Electric) and none have the shelves, but I wish they did. It seems they are hard to come by on the smaller Q1000 series grills.

By the way, I hope you are not waiting for Spring and an excuse to use the grill. I use mine all winter long up here in Wisconsin. At least once a week. I have one on the back deck for regular home use, one in the travel trailer for camping trips and the Q1400 is a rescue grill that I cleaned up. I am thinking of putting that one in the camper for camping as we hit mostly campgrounds with electric hook ups and it would just be more convenient than messing with the propane hookups.

Also, I agree, I still havent found a good brush that gets down between the grates. They do fine on the top edges, but not so well in between. I would think Weber or other manufacturers would make a brush that is matched to the grill grate and will get down between them better. I have found that with the right sized flathead screwdriver, you can run it between the grated and quickly clean up the junk between them...but again, it just seems Weber would come out with a brush or scraper tool designed specifically for that purpose.

I have pork chops marinating in the fridge right now, waiting for the grill this evening.

This is the Q1200, which comes with the fold out side tables. I am surprised the 1400 doesn't have them, but I knew the 100/1000's did not.

I am definitely not planning on putting it away for winter! Originally I thought I might put my Kettle and WSM's away for winter and use the Q and Smokey Joe as needed.. but that hasn't happened. Smoked two chickens on Christmas eve on my 14.5 WSM. I've probably used the kettle at least once a week since the cold weather set in. The Q probably about once a week as well. I prefer charcoal.. but sometimes I don't have the time for it and the Q comes to the rescue. Though I think I am learning a bit more about how temperature effects the food since it's much easier to control on a gas grill, so that's a bonus. I've made some of the best BBQ chicken breasts I've ever made on the Q.

Back