What do I need to get started?

ScottWB

I'm brand new to this forum and to the "art" of smoking....so thanks in advance for any advice on my very novice questions.

So they idea of smoking my own food seems pretty cool and after discussions wit my wife is something we want to try. I'm sick of boneless chicken breast on the grill! We're trying to also look at it from a health perspective as well. I think the general perception of smoking is that it involves a lot of food that is bad for you- but I'm sure there are plenty of healthy recipes that exist (turkey/fish etc).

So my question is really around what I would need to get started.

My plan is to get the 18.5 inch smoker off of Amazon for $300 unless there is a better option. What I really want to know is what else I need to get started? Charcoal? Wood Chips? Chimney starter? Seasonings? Rubs?

If there's a recipe that you just love and you think would be good for a beginner to follow to get my confidence going that would be more than welcomed as well!

Thank you!!!!!

If you get the 18.5 inch, your pretty set. Digital probes are good to have, Maverick makes some decent ones at a good price. You will need charcoal and wood chips or chunks, and you'll prolly want the chimmany and if you have a BBQ with a side burner, that's a great way to start the charcoal. Read up on the minion method for starting and check the various sections in this form for what to cook and how. Welcome and good luck with new bad habit

This is all you need to get started! feel free to use kingsfords charcoal and store bought rubs for your first cooks if you want. But then just delve into this forum, the below link, and the cooking topics section which you can select from the link. Get the WSM and you will be very happy....ribs, butt, chicken, turkey, fish, etc.!!!!!

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

Check Home Depot or lowes in your area they might have one in stock.Good luck and welcome Scott :wsm:

If you order through the Amazon link on here, it helps Chris with the site.

Boston butts are pretty forgiving for your first cook. Like James and Chuck said, just dive in on here and you will find all you need. There is even a healthy cooking sub-section of the grilling forums. I was not much of a smoker and I had a small repertoire of grilled foods before I found this site. You will never stop learning from the people on here.

You would be surprised the healthy foods that you may cook now that can be smoked.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've been well taken care of above. Especially the link to The Virtual Weber Bullet. Reading it will reduce your learning curve.

On TVWB you'll find cooking topics to include turkey. You can (and should) try smoking a turkey or turkey breast. I recommend 325-350*F to get crisp skin.

I also recommend some wood chunks, gloves, lighter cubes, chimney, and Kingsford charcoal to get started. Follow the directions on TVWB and you'll be set. I do recommend going easy on the smoke until you determine what you and your family like.

And most importantly: don't lift the lid. Let the food cook. LOL

Last edited:
Does anyone have a reference for all things charcoal? I'm confused about "professional" kings ford vs regular and the other brands of chunk charcoal.

I also am a newbie. I would suggest you read Jeff padell's excellent post of today on getting started on your first smoke.

Does anyone have a reference for all things charcoal? I'm confused about "professional" kings ford vs regular and the other brands of chunk charcoal.

Charcoal - try it all and see what you like. Most areas have some local brands and the home stores tend to have brands other than Kingsford. The easy thing to do is get some Kingsford when it's on sale so you have enough to work with. They usually run sales around the big summer holidays. You can't go wrong with Kingsford original when you get it on sale. I mostly use lump charcoal but always have some Kingsford on hand.

There is a site called nakedwhiz.com where many different brands of charcoal are discussed and comes pretty close to your request for all things charcoal.

At the end of the day, most charcoal is just fuel so get the best price you can and you'll be fine. After awhile, you might find a brand you like and will stick with. I prefer lump primarily because there is less ash to deal with.

Jerry is correct about nakedwhiz.com, they are fanatics about the various brands of charcoal.

if you do use briquets other than kingsford, or maybe royal oak, be very wary of any storebrand charcoal. I have found some of it can crumble very easily and overall not hold together for the duration of the cooking. Kingsford blue at least holds together!!

Welcome! A WSM is a grate way to begin as once you get her seasoned up, she'll run temps nice and steady with little babysitting. What size WSM (14.5", 18.5", or 22.5") all depends on what you will be smoking and for how many people. I love my 22.5" and it allows me to do small cooks for just us or party cooks for lots of people (doing a wedding party this weekend for 50+ people).

After you decide on which smoker to get, the other accessories are pretty standard:

- Charcoal - I use Kingsford Blue Bag (KBB), but there are other brands. I grew up on KBB and like it.
- Wood chunks (NOT CHIPS) - Various woods for various meats. Start with a nice fruit wood (cherry and / or apple) for pork and chicken. Harder woods like pecan / hickory / mesquite for beef. Each has their own flavor. Try them all and then use what you like.
- Flame Thrower - I bought a charcoal chimney when I got my WSM, but someone convinced me to try a weed burner and I haven't used it since. Mine is like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html
- Therms - Get yourself something like a Maverick 733 to show you the pit temp and the meat temp. The therms in WSM's (and most other pits) aren't that accurate and usually aren't at grate level. Also, get an instant read probe thermometer like a Thermapen. Little pricy, but it will last forever and you'll never serve raw chicken to your family.
- Automatic Temp Control (ATC) - Think of it as a thermostat for your WSM. I set my Pitmaster IQ 120 for whatever temp I want to cook at and it allows or blocks air flow to keep the pit at that temp. This is purely an optional item that I only use for overnight cooks.
- Lots of MEAT - Pork (ribs, butts, chops, shoulders), chicken (whole or pieces), beef (briskets, short ribs, chuck roasts (YOU MUST TRY PSB!!!)), you name it....
- Cold beverages... Lots of them...

Good luck!!!

Back