What Brand of Pellets?

LKruse

TVWBB Fan
When I bought my SmokeFire the only pellets available were Traeger - mesquite. I picked up a couple of bags for $18.99 each. My HEB grocer sales B&B Pellets for $12.23 - https://bbcharcoal.com/wood-pellets/

Does anyone use an off-brand of pellets other than Weber or Traeger brands? What should I look for in a good quality pellet? Is B&B's video a good reference for what a person should look for in a pellet?

Last edited:
If you have a Rural King near you I use their Lumber Jack brand, 20 lbs. for $8.88. I have used the Competition blend along with the hickory and pecan. I have a Traeger Ridgeland that I got before the SmokeFire came out. Not as fancy as the SmokeFire but I have been pleased with it. Still have my WSM and Performer.

Do a search and you will find all kinds of pellet discussions - size, dirt, etc. Some believe that pellets make a difference, some do not. I believe that pellet size makes a difference (somewhat).

Do a search and you will find all kinds of pellet discussions - size, dirt, etc. Some believe that pellets make a difference, some do not. I believe that pellet size makes a difference (somewhat).

Are you saying pellet choice may make a difference from a trouble-free pellet feeding perspective?

Are you saying pellet choice may make a difference from a trouble-free pellet feeding perspective?
Maybe, if you are having trouble with pellets feeding that are a different diameter from Weber's, you might try the smaller pellets like Weber pellets. I have posted several notes about pellet diameters. I think many of the problems that many of us were seeing were due to software issues. But pellets are always a variable - dust, humidity, storage, etc.

I'm certainly open to to using another brand. I have had no feeding problems with Weber pellets, but they are not universally available aside from their website. I've also noticed that several Ace stores are only selling the "Grillmaster Blend". I'd love to know what other pellets are working well. Thanks for the info! Appreciated.

In my SF I've used Weber and Pit Boss. No feed problems and both give good results but the Pit Boss is almost half the price of Weber and easy to get nearby. In my Camp Chef I used GMG, Lumberjack, and Pit Boss. GMG came with the used grill but PB is cheaper and I can't tell the difference. I recently did some pellet experiments and examined the individual Weber and PB pellets more closely. My first thought during visual inspection and doing the snap test is that the Weber pellet may be formed at a higher pressure than the PB. I don't know if I'm drawing the right conclusion but the feel during the snap test is different. I stay away from Traeger pellets because of the flavoring oil used.

I stay away from Traeger pellets because of the flavoring oil used.

Wow --- I didn't realize they used flavoring oil. Googling that I found this class action lawsuit from May

25-page lawsuit alleges, Traeger’s wood pellets are made of less-expensive wood and contain flavored oils “to masquerade as more expensive, sought-after grilling woods." https://www.classaction.org/news/cl...oils-to-mask-true-quality-of-bbq-wood-pellets

and later dismissed by a Judge ... Because the case was dismissed without prejudice, it could be refiled in another court. https://www.oregonlive.com/business...es-lawsuit-against-traeger-pellet-grills.html

I watched the video. Overall it's an honest video. Academy Sports near me carries them and the next time I'm down there I'm going to pick up a bag. The price is about the same as Pit Boss and it will be fun to compare them. I doubt that getting them would disappoint you.

Traeger states in the second link in my previous post:

Traeger's advertising says it uses "100% natural, food-grade hardwood" in pellets, with small amounts of food-grade soybean oil added as a lubricant for its machines in the pellets.

Not really sure what they are lubricating... the auger? Doesn't seem needed to me. This really disappoints me.... don't know why though as I am planning on B&B next time ;)

Traeger states in the second link in my previous post:

Traeger's advertising says it uses "100% natural, food-grade hardwood" in pellets, with small amounts of food-grade soybean oil added as a lubricant for its machines in the pellets.

Not really sure what they are lubricating... the auger? Doesn't seem needed to me. This really disappoints me.... don't know why though as I am planning on B&B next time ;)
They're talking about their processing machine. B&B pointed out that they don't use petroleum based lubricants and this is the same thing said differently. PR talk. I just talked to my SIL who lives near Academy sports. I'll have 40 lbs. of B&B Championship Blend on Sunday.

They are lubricating the extruder that makes the pellets. It takes a little force. The heat and the oil brown the outside of the pellet.

I've been using Pit Boss Competition Blend and very happy with it. It's my dally driver pellet.
Price is great too 40Lb bag for under $15 at Wal Mart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...llets-40-lb-Bag-55455/971756015?selected=true
These are our “go to” pellets as well. One observation I have and it’s purely cosmetic, is these pellets vary dramatically in color from bag to bag. Some super light, some super dark. I never notice any difference in flavor or smoke...

Two bags mixed together:

097A4AC7-835F-4892-B0BE-6E46DDA7E303.jpeg

Last edited:
I just tried a bulk order for lumber jack. Ended up being under 8 dollars a bag but needed to order at least 26 twenty pound bags and have the inconvenience of needing to wait 2 months for the order to be fulfilled and pick it up from a local transit hub.

Back