what are people paying for prime rib in 12-21 ?

I picked a smallish one up just after thanksgiving for $5.99/lb.
CAB and it looked good, it will be Christmas unless I see a better one when I go out again. By and large they have been between $15.99-$18.99/lb. almost anywhere.

I picked a smallish one up just after thanksgiving for $5.99/lb.
CAB and it looked good, it will be Christmas unless I see a better one when I go out again. By and large they have been between $15.99-$18.99/lb. almost anywhere.
I had almost given up on the idea of buying one earlier this year when I saw brisket prices hitting $100 and higher, decided to call a local shop and thought the price wasnt as bad as I had expected it to be

I think you need to clarify. PRIME Rib or Rib Roast. A rib roast is NOT a Prime rib unless it's prime grade and no way you're buying that at $5.99lb
Sorry, Rib Roast. Prime Rib and Rib Roast seem to be interchangeable.

From Serious Eats
Q: Here's something that's always confused me: Does "prime rib" have anything to do with "prime-grade" beef?

I'm really glad you asked. The answer is no.

The term "prime rib" has existed longer than the USDA's beef-grading system, which classifies beef into various grades according to its potential tenderness and juiciness. It's called prime rib because it's the best part of any given cow. After the USDA began introducing its labeling system denoting quality of beef, and included the label "prime" as the highest quality, things became a little confusing.

These days, it's possible to buy a "prime rib" that is also "prime grade," but it doesn't necessarily have to be so. My local Whole Foods sells "choice grade prime ribs," for example.

For one week starting yesterday in Chicago area:
Jewel Foods $6.77/LB "USDA Choice Beef Bone-in Rib Roast" (Limit 1 with $25 purchase)
Mariano's (i.e. Krogers) $6.77/LB "USDA Choice Black Angus Bone-In Ribeye Roast" (Limit 1 with $25 purchase)
I am buying one or two and will use UMAI Dry bags to dry-age 45-60, then clean up and slice into bone-in rib steaks.

Albertson’s has RR Ranch CAB bone-in $5.94/lb.-limit one with $50 purchase. Pick any size you want and have it cut for you at the meat counter.

Albertson’s Market (the super fancy store here) has prime grade bone-in for $19.99/lb., limit 1, no other purchase necessary.

Paid $29.99/lb for Prime grade Prime rib here at the local meat market. I I remember right the Choice was $15.99 but not 100%

Actually sadly people use the term "prime rib" like the word Kleenex or Xerox. But "prime rib" to actually BE prime rib should be prime graded beef. But, yeah I know it's been bastardized over the years like Kleenex or Xerox

Locally, I have seen ads ranging from $6.99 to18.99 for "prime rib roast" or "bone-in prime rib roast". Leads me to believe all of those "prime" cuts are not the same.

Actually sadly people use the term "prime rib" like the word Kleenex or Xerox. But "prime rib" to actually BE prime rib should be prime graded beef. But, yeah I know it's been bastardized over the years like Kleenex or Xerox
Since the term "prime rib" existed prior to the USDA grading system that labels the best grade of beef as "prime", it seems reasonable that "prime rib" be linguistically grandfathered. "Boston butt" doesn't come from Boston, so there is a lot of terminology related to cuts of meat that have nothing to do with logic or rationality. It's prime rib, regardless of whether it's Prime, Choice, or Select. Sadly, language is a community game played by all. We don't each get to create our own rules. On the list of misuses of language, "prime rib" isn't anywhere near the top. Don't get me started on "begs the question".

I am with Timothy on the grading of them here in Canada too. AAA grade at Wal-Mart today did not look as good as the AA grade Loblaws.

Vons in my area (RivCo, SoCal) has a rib roast for $5.88/lb (member's price), $8.99/lb otherwise. Saw a big one today for $318 @8.99/lb...that's a bit much for just me and the wife. Too much meat plays hell with my digestive system lately (you don't wanna know so don't ask).

Last edited:
Our local Safeway is getting $14.99/lb., and calling it Choice Beef Ribeye Roast, bone-in. Walmart has Angus Premium Choice Prime Rib Roast for $10.97/lb.

Back