What am I doing wrong?

Dave,
Others have mentioned an extra thermometer and thats something i'll definetely try. Where do you find the KC. I've only ever seen KBB in the blue bag. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place or hard enough. Also, When you add more fuel do you add more lit coals or do you gather all the remaining lit coals into the center and add unlit coals around them to keep the minion method going?

I ran across Kingsford Competition last Sunday at Wal Mart. First time I've seen it there. Pretty good price of just under $10.00 per bag.

Also I found on my old 18 WSM that when I used a 14" clay saucer(only could find one at Home Depot) wrapped in foil and set in the top of the water bowl that I got good extended cooking times.

I'm am really new to the WSM way of cooking so if this is a rookie question, it's because I am one… that said, if ash is a problem with choking out the fire and kicking the legs causes ash clouds and potential negative food side effects… how about a vacuum? I realize this point may not answer the OP's question, but if ash is the culprit, maybe this is a technique to better manage the ash problem. I also realize most vacuums are plastic but there's no oxygen in a vacuum so any amber that may get sucked up wouldn't stay ignited and burn in a vacuum chamber. Not to say that it's not hot, but it shouldn't ignite. I'm not suggesting putting a hose in the coal pit and suck away, but a careful and deliberate effort to remove the ash. I'm not a scientist but it sounds like the theory should work. Plus you'd have to run the vacuum long enough to ensure anything that's hot can't ignite when turned off. Empty upon completion type thing. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm am really new to the WSM way of cooking so if this is a rookie question, it's because I am one… that said, if ash is a problem with choking out the fire and kicking the legs causes ash clouds and potential negative food side effects… how about a vacuum? I realize this point may not answer the OP's question, but if ash is the culprit, maybe this is a technique to better manage the ash problem. I also realize most vacuums are plastic but there's no oxygen in a vacuum so any amber that may get sucked up wouldn't stay ignited and burn in a vacuum chamber. Not to say that it's not hot, but it shouldn't ignite. I'm not suggesting putting a hose in the coal pit and suck away, but a careful and deliberate effort to remove the ash. I'm not a scientist but it sounds like the theory should work. Plus you'd have to run the vacuum long enough to ensure anything that's hot can't ignite when turned off. Empty upon completion type thing. Any thoughts?

My goal is to work as little as possible. This sounds like more trouble than the benefit derived. Also, I wouldn't want to use a good vacuum for this. Even if it were metal and fire wasn't a concern (which it would be in a plastic vacuum), I would think the ash would impact the motor and shorten the life of the vacuum as it does with drywall dust. I also wouldn't want to draw that much air into and over the coals. As you put suction to the unit, air would flood the cooker and the fan the charcoal. Might be something interesting to talk about, but I would not try it based on my original comment - too much work for the lazy BBQ'r that I am.

Hope you don't mind me chiming in on this one...

If you use a vacuum cleaner as suggested, be prepared for a mighty bonfire ! There's plenty of oxygen in there, in fact, the same percentage as the air your sucking into the vacuum. Plus you have all that airflow stoking the coals. Kind of like a blacksmith's forge !

Don't forget the marshmallows !

Ah! A good point that I clearly overlooked… the sucking is now drawing air over the coals thus stoking them to a new level! Didn't think it through enough! Not to mention the fine ash and the issues on the vacuum itself. I assumed a second vacuum- the wife would kill me if I did that with her vacuum- I get the old crappy one in the garage. And I can appreciate the low maintenance cooking, my vacuum idea certainly is maintenance intensive! :)

Last edited:
Naw... just offer her some roasted marshmallows ;)

If I remember correctly, earlier last year someone on this forum finished their cook on the WSM. They closed everything down and waited until (or so they thought...) everything was cool before covering the WSM with the vinyl cover. Next morning, when checking the WSM, they found the vinyl cover melted on the WSM. Once one gets their WSM to close off where they can close the vent thereby putting out the fire(s), the WSM cools down fairly fast. BUT add some variables, such as wind (if I remember correctly), it's another story...

Paragraphs are my friend?. Don't quite understand that commemt. However, yes. After about 7 hours I notice temp starting to drop so I open the vents.....eventually they are wide open. Once wide open the temp rises shortly then begins to dro.

It's hard to read your post.

Try lighting up with the coffee can method. I bet the mm is choking the fire with ash. The CC method will give you a more even burn.

A lot of great suggestions here for you to try. My 2 cents would be an ash problem and to try a brand other than kingsford blue. I made the switch to maple leaf on a suggestion from a competition cooker and found that in the end the ash was less than half that of kingsford blue.

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice. I found a bag of Kingsford competition at Walmart abd used it to cook a brisket. I got a good 11 hours out of the full bag. It was a small 8lb brisket so thats all it needed. Also it was cold that day so I figured that was the reason for only 11 hours.

Back