What am I doing wrong?

RonPerry

I have an 18.5" WSM and I absolutely love the thing but I'm having an issue. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my WSM won't hold temperature for longer than 7-8 hours. I smoke ribs on it just fine but I can't seem to get a longer cook out of it. I've had it for about 6 months now and I frequently smoke ribs. When I first got it I smoked a brisket and a pork butt on it for about 14 hours and I had to add some coals towards the end. It was new at that point and I know that new WSMs tend to run hot so looking back on it, that's probably the reason It held temp so long. Ever since then it won't go past 8 hours without dropping temp. I use the minion method, I use Kingsford coals, the blue bag. Recently I've been "practicing" on it by running it without food to see how long it'll hold temp. Still nothing longer than 8 hours. I use sand in my water bowl also. Started with water and switched to sand after reading that water helps lower temp. I've filled the ring up with coals. I almost used a whole 16lb bag of Kingsford just to see if it would burn longer. I've tried starting with 14-16 lit coals and I've tried starting with a half a chimney of coals with the same result on each trial. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've read some posts where people say their 18.5 hold temp for 12-14 hours at a time. Please help.

A couple ideas:

Are the coals getting choked with ash? When you use a lot of charcoal, the ash will tend to choke out the fire. Many on this forum talk about stirring the coals or kicking the legs of the WSM to knock the ash off. Caution, if you stir the coals, the ash will migrate up onto the food.

Is your temp reading correct? If you're burning hotter than you think that would cause the coals to run out quicker.

Has the wind become a factor? The wind will suck the heat right out of the WSM.

Also, what do you mean by the temp dropping? Does it drop a few degrees or does the fire go out? Please describe. It might just be that you need to open the vents.

Personally, my guess is ash. Have you tried using a lump charcoal or some other brand?

Jerry,

The ash could be the problem. I do notice that there is a lot of ash in the holder after the cook so maybe the fir is getting choked out. As far as the temp reading correct, I don't have anything to go by besides the dome thermometer. I don't have an accessory thermometer. May be a good investment. I've done the dry cooks in both wind and calm weather. I steer away from using it on high wind days so I don't think that's the issue. By temp dropping I mean that the temp drops below 200 according to the dome. It isn't a sudden drop. Its gradual but noticeable. When I notice it starting to drop I open all the vents wide open and it stabilizes shortly and then gradually drops again. I'd have to add more coals to raise the temp back up. I haven't yet tried lump coals yet. I see a lot of people recommend it so i'll try it next.

I'm very new to the wsm nor have I done any cooks over 4/5 hours so I can't really offer any input. I am curious though if lump coals can be mixed in with standard coals?

Ron,

MInd you this is only my opinion. I think its the Kingsford charcoal. When I first got my WSM is 2003, I used Kingsford exclusively, used the Minion method and it was not unusual to get 12-14 hours out of a full load, maybe even a little longer. But the Kingsford we're using today is not the Kingsford we used back then. If i do an overnighter now, I fill the charcoal ring full and usually light about 10-15 briquettes and I'll cook around 235-250. If I start the cook around 10 or 11 I need to add fuel again by 7am. Now I don't have this issue with Stubbs briquettes or Royal Oak Chef Select, just Kingsford. I, personally, don't think they are burning as long as they use to.

I'm very new to the wsm nor have I done any cooks over 4/5 hours so I can't really offer any input. I am curious though if lump coals can be mixed in with standard coals?
i use lump mixed with KingsFord on my 22 1/2 WSM for high heat cooks (chicken) and temps. @ 350. No water in pan just foiled. Use all lump in chimney starter and toss on top of KB and lump in ring. Usually use a few chunks of Apple/cherry wood with poultry. Low n slows all KB in ring and a 1/2 of KB chimney on top. Pork I use a few chunks of hickory. Beef I use mesquite.

@RonPerry I use KB for low n slows on my 22 1/2 WSM with a 1/2 of chimney KB and never had to add on a 12 hour plus cook. A 22 1/2 uses a full bag in ring. A few hickory chunks. I do shake the ring though a little to let the ash fall toward the end of the cook if I notice temps falling. I do add all new/fresh KB on my WSM. The leftover charcoal that's ashed/grayed over in the ring I use in my Performer. Have a whole bag of that as I'm typing this in my Performer charcoal bin and use it regularly...no problems. I recommend using fresh everytime for low n slows on the WSM if you don't already.

Last edited:
Ron,
It's probably a combination of the ash and the charcoal you're using. If you can get more in the ring (shake it, rustle it, whatever) thus removing any air gaps and then give the legs a kick during the cook (don't wait until the temp starts to drop), that will help. When kicking the legs, close the top vent for a minute so the draw of the air doesn't pull the ash onto the food. Give it a minute to settle and then open back up. If you change to lump, packing the charcoal (getting air gaps out) is very important. Lump is worse in this regard because it is not uniform.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

How do the coals look when the temp starts to drop off: spent, as in almost gone or not burning properly? Reason I ask is the newer 18.5" WSM's use a much larger water bowl compared to the older ones.
Mine uses the re-purposed lid from a Smokey Joe, while the newer ones use the charcoal bowl from the Smokey Joe. With yours being filled with sand, I wonder if that's snuffing down the coals?

Tim

Tim,
As the temp begins to drop the coals look almost spent. ..they are still burning red but most of the ring is spent and its not generating enough heat....I usually have to dump more lit coals inside. My water bowl is rather huge. I started out filling the water bowl with water and just recently changed to sand. Haven't tried an empty water bowl though.

Based on comments from this forum, the thermometer on the WSM is hit and miss. I have an old unit so I don't have one. If you can take it out easily and test it (boiling water = 212 and an ice bath = 32) then I would do that. Otherwise, I would consider getting a thermometer. Note that the thermometer doesn't have to be accurate to be useful. It just has to be consistent. The one I installed on mine might be off by a few degrees, but I know when it reads just over 250, I'm in a good range. In your case, I doubt the thermometer is misleading you. Even if it's reading high, I bet that the temp is dropping when it reads that it is dropping.

Something like http://www.taylorusa.com/kitchen/thermometers/gourmet-digital-cooking-thermometer-timer.html are easy to find and pretty cheap if you want another thermometer. It can also be used in the meat so it won't be a wasted expense. To use it to know your smoker temp, put it as close to the center of the grate as you can. If you're cooking, make sure it's not too close to the meat and not touching anything else. If it's a little different than your dome temp, that's normal. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to make them be the same. You just want to make sure you're around 250/275 when it says you are and not something like 325/350. It's BBQ - you just need to get close.

Last edited:
Are you using any expanded metal or a second charcoal grate on top of the factory grate to stop the smaller pieces of charcoal from falling through ??

realize that while the second grate will stop small pieces from falling through, it will also contribute to the ash problem if that is what's going on. No big deal, but you may need to start kicking the legs a little sooner and a little more often.

The second grate turned 90 degrees is more useful with lump (imo) where there is little to no ash.

I agree with Jerry's comment above regarding the Weber Therm...I have had mine since new for about 5 years and I have not been able to get it to read correct. I use a cheap meat thermometer with a wine cork cut down and stuck in the top vent....I have had a number of expensive thermometers..I don't bother any more..if it reads right for a few months...it works..

I suggest start with a thermometer test...one change at a time and you will narrow down your problem. My dome thermometer reads a lot lower than the real temp and I would bet you are running hotter than you think and burning more fuel in the process.

Ash buildup can be a problem too but at 8 hours you probably should not have that issue!

Small changes...you will get it solved!

Last edited:
Ron, what temp are you trying to run at?....220 with minion usually gives me a long burn (12-14). If you are cooking hotter the times will be shorter.

There are a few things that are probably all contributors, most of them have been mentioned in this thread.

1. You're wasting fuel heating up sand. Run your water bowl empty and you'll get a longer cook. The design of the WSM is such that it gets back to temp in minutes after you open the lid. You simply don't need thermal mass, period. The WSM actually has the opposite problem--leave the lid off too long and your temps will jump out of control because the fire got too much air. It'll take a long time to cool back down.

2. Insulating your smoker will help. Try a water heater blanket wrapped around it, get it out of the wind, etc. In July in Ft. Worth I can get 20+ hours out of 11lbs of Kingsford Competition in my 22". In January it's more like 10 hours for the same 11lb bag. I have to stuff the ring as full as it will get to do an overnight smoke and still have to add fuel in the morning.

3. Make sure you're really cooking at the temp you think you are. Get a Maverick or some other digital thermometer, put it on the top grate, and make sure it's at least 2" from the edges of the smoker and any food. My dome thermometer is dead on with the Maverick at the grate IF I leave the lid shut for at least 30-60 minutes. As soon as I open the lid, it cools off and reads low for a while. The hotter you cook, the faster you run out of fuel. I generally cook big meats at 250 and ribs and poultry at 275.

4. Consider switching charcoal. I'm not a fan of KBB. I find it produces tons of ash. It'll burn the same amount of time as KC, but you have to knock the ash off. A full (but not heaping full) charcoal ring of KC will burn down to nothing without having to do anything about the ash. I have to manage ash if I add more fuel, so I usually do both at the same time--just gently stir the ashes around with some tongs to knock it all down, scoop the lit briquettes a little closer together, then dump in more charcoal.

5. Doing something to keep the little chunks of burning charcoal up on the grate helps some. For my 22", I've found the charcoal grate from a kettle fits perfectly inside the WSM's charcoal ring. I just turn it 90 degrees to the WSM's charcoal grate so it makes a pattern of little squares. You could do the same thing by just getting a 2nd charcoal grate for your WSM and stacking them on top of each other.

Dave,
Others have mentioned an extra thermometer and thats something i'll definetely try. Where do you find the KC. I've only ever seen KBB in the blue bag. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place or hard enough. Also, When you add more fuel do you add more lit coals or do you gather all the remaining lit coals into the center and add unlit coals around them to keep the minion method going?

fyi, paragraphs are your friend.

You're saying that with a ring full of kb, after 8 hours with all vents open your temps drop unless you add coals?

Paragraphs are my friend?. Don't quite understand that commemt. However, yes. After about 7 hours I notice temp starting to drop so I open the vents.....eventually they are wide open. Once wide open the temp rises shortly then begins to dro.

Back