What’s with pork prices???

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
Here in NorCal, pork shoulder last week was 2.97/lb…. Today was 5.19/lb. However, baby backs were 3.97/lb. I do not get it. Anyone have a secret decoder ring???
I also noticed tha rib eyed were over 21.00/lb. They were much less than that last week.

We are having BBRs with salad tomorrow.

Last edited:
Can't buy a whole chicken or turkey here the last few days, beef prices are through the roof, as is bacon. I'm sure pork will follow soon. Made room for about 30# of meat in one of the freezers. Will be buying a bunch of pig tomorrow. Now that the growing season is ending, pretty sure veggies will be seeing price increases too. May need to go out an graze with the cattle soon.

Can't buy a whole chicken or turkey here the last few days, beef prices are through the roof, as is bacon. I'm sure pork will follow soon. Made room for about 30# of meat in one of the freezers. Will be buying a bunch of pig tomorrow. Now that the growing season is ending, pretty sure veggies will be seeing price increases too. May need to go out an graze with the cattle soon.
Went shopping today, intending to buy a bunch of pork. Found plenty of whole chickens with 2 packs selling for $. 94/lb., and 10 lbs. of leg quarters for just over $6. Whole bone in turkey breasts for $1.98/lb., Smithfield Extra Tender spares at $1.74/lb. for 2 packs, and pork loin halves for $2.44/lb. Even found both Butterball and Jenny-O whole turkeys for $1.54/lb. Guessing what I've seen over the past week has been due to transportation problems. Ended up coming home with 2 chickens, 10 # of leg quarters, a 10.5# turkey breast and 2 pork loin halves. Just over 40 lbs. of meat for under $70. There's still some decent meat prices out there if you shop a little and don't mind trimming some fat. The chickens were Foster Farms Fresh & Natural, the pork loins were Smithfield center cuts and the turkey breast Jenny-O. Only the leg quarters were an off brand, but looked pretty good and not in need of a bunch of trimming.

If it's any consolation, meat prices here have gone bonkers! Especially at the supermarket. Indy butchers, with locally sourced produce, aren't too bad.
We have made a decision, for the foreseeable future, to eat local and seasonal produce. Just like we did in the "olden days".
No big deal if I didn't lay eyes on another kumquat ever again.
I'm very lucky to have three indy butchers, numerous fishmongers and two vegetable grocers within a 20 minute walking distance of my house. Lots more within a 30 minute drive. Eggs, spuds, gus, etc etc are available at farmshops all over the place. I have a fishmonger that parks at the end of my street every Friday for an hour where I can buy fresh, wet fish landed that morning.
I don't care if I can't get imported fruit, there is more than enough local fruit and veg to eat. Supermarkets have decimated our traditional High Street indy's. I remember as a nipper that my Mum had to go to about four or five different shops to get the groceries needed to feed a family of seven. I'm really making a concerted effort to support local growers and breeders.
Apols for the drift.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, meat prices here have gone bonkers! Especially at the supermarket. Indy butchers, with locally sourced produce, aren't too bad.
We have made a decision, for the foreseeable future, to eat local and seasonal produce. Just like we did in the "olden days".
No big deal if I didn't lay eyes on another kumquat ever again.
I'm very lucky to have three butchers, numerous fishmongers and two vegetable grocers within a 20 minute walking distance of my house.
I don't care if I can't get imported fruit, there is more than enough local fruit and veg to eat. I'm really making a concerted effort to support local growers and breeders.
Apols for the drift.
You're very lucky to have a lot of local products available. While we do live in an agricultural area, a good part of the product grown here is corn and alfalfa for cattle feed. The reason for my comment about grazing with the cattle in an earlier response on this thread. We only have one butcher shop here in town and their pre COVID prices were higher than anything we're seeing now.

Everything is crazy. This is not the time to be a buyer of anything, whether its houses, vehicles, furniture, or food.

Living in oil and gas country all my life, a primary economic indicator for us has been the price of oil and to a lesser extent , natural gas. After 40 years of watching it closely, I always thought I had a pretty good handle on where it was going. Anymore, I don't have a clue. I'm seeing things I've never seen before.

Everything is crazy. This is not the time to be a buyer of anything, whether its houses, vehicles, furniture, or food.

Living in oil and gas country all my life, a primary economic indicator for us has been the price of oil and to a lesser extent , natural gas. After 40 years of watching it closely, I always thought I had a pretty good handle on where it was going. Anymore, I don't have a clue. I'm seeing things I've never seen before.
Agreed. It's a good time to be as self sufficient as possible. That's where us rednecks have a distinct advantage. We hunt, we fish, we grow & preserve foods and we aren't opposed to beans being an important food group. Don't know about you, but my freezer and pantry are kept full. The only way we'll ever get back to normal is when the people make it happen and I'm not holding my breath!

Barb and I went to Wal Mart Yesterday and they had frozen turkeys available. Nothing under 18 pounds though. I picked up a 21 pounder and got sticker shock, the price was $43 and change....No thanks.

The value of my house seems to go up every month. Houses are selling on the first day they go on the market, and many of them go well above the asking price as a bidding war breaks out.

The value of our 2018 Honda is higher than what we paid for it. I would sell it, but the price of new is at a premium and there's no selection.

I keep thinking the economy will get past the covid impact, but it seems to go on a lot longer than I expect. Every time beef and pork prices seem to moderate, they go back up again.

Barb and I went to Wal Mart Yesterday and they had frozen turkeys available. Nothing under 18 pounds though. I picked up a 21 pounder and got sticker shock, the price was $43 and change....No thanks.
The turkeys I found at Walmart were all big ones too. Wondering if they were frozen since last holiday season. Too big to fit in the freezer space I had, so will take my chances closer to Thanksgiving.

The value of my house seems to go up every month. Houses are selling on the first day they go on the market, and many of them go well above the asking price as a bidding war breaks out.
Lynn. It's got to a point here, and it's not uncommon, that people are putting in offers for property withouth even viewing it!!!! Madness.
A friend of mine sold his house 16hrs after it had gone on the market........for £25k over the fixed asking price.
I really don't know where all this lunacy is heading. I'm just thankful I'm not a young 'un just starting out trying to get on the property ladder.

Lynn. It's got to a point here, and it's not uncommon, that people are putting in offers for property withouth even viewing it!!!! Madness.
A friend of mine sold his house 16hrs after it had gone on the market........for £25k over the fixed asking price.
I really don't know where all this lunacy is heading. I'm just thankful I'm not a young 'un just starting out trying to get on the property ladder.

Mrs Dollar's nephew went through that same scenario. My advise would've been to have some patience and wait a year or two, but heck, IDK any more.

Yeah daughter bought a little house nearby me here last summer (2020). Listed for $98,500 (and frankly in 2019 I doubt would have listed for much more than $89k. The final price ended up at $105k and she was NOT the highest $$$ offer. She was one of the lower ones. The seller simply took hers because she was more flexible with possession. And 3 years ago I would not have listed it for more than $79k! (Coming from a former Realtor BTW). I practiced from 1993 until 2007.

My daughter sold her house in Huntington Beach Calif last year. It was a tract home built in the 60's small lot and only 1400 sq. ft. 5 miles from the ocean. They had six people bidding on it and at the end got 1.2 million for it.
Moved to Surprise Arizona and bought a house much newer and 2100 sq. ft. for less than 1/3 of the one they sold.
Location Location Location.

Back