What’s the deal with charcoal in 2023??

Used the Royal Oak Super Size briquettes for first time tonite. Briqs definitely larger than KPro (my usual), but didn’t really notice the size until I dumped the coals from the chimney to the grill. Very Smokey first 10 minutes in the chimney, but eventually settled down to what I am used to with KPro. Took 5+ minutes longer than KPro to ash over so give yourself a little extra time. Was cooking smash burgers on a carbon steel griddle so they had little direct influence on taste. Anxious to use them in a traditional grilling cook.

I wish Chris would do a review/comparison with the Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets, still the best buy at .45/lb.

Here’s a review/comparison. Not as good as Chris would do but might put your mind at ease.

I am very familiar with Cowboy Briquets, formerly branded as Stubb's. I continue to promote this product not only for it's quality but also because its the best deal in charcoal at this present time.

I am very familiar with Cowboy Briquets, formerly branded as Stubb's. I continue to promote this product not only for it's quality but also because its the best deal in charcoal at this present time.
I grabbed a bunch of your recomendation when Walmart was doing $3 off and I am glad I did. Its been working great for me.

For me the B&B briquettes at Walmart for $10 is a good deal because they seem to last twice as long as Kingsford blue. Best part is the B&B doesn't smoke up your entire backyard when lighting a chimney!

For me the B&B briquettes at Walmart for $10 is a good deal because they seem to last twice as long as Kingsford blue. Best part is the B&B doesn't smoke up your entire backyard when lighting a chimney!
I used the orange bag BnB for the first time in awhile last night. Loved it. Very good flavor and smoke on start up was minimal! I got four bags from Walmart delivered a month or so ago.

Just a question from the new guy- are all the brands of charcoal in discussion here manufactured in North America?

Nope; In my post above I listed Charcoal produced in South and Central America.
Thank you Richard.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about some charcoal products being manufactured in Asia, and also remember reading about bootleg charcoal being manufactured wherever with a name brand packaging being sold on the internet through third parties.

Purely recollection and speculation on my part though.

Figured I would put it out there.

Back