What’s a good charcoal starter cube torch that’s refillable?

What happened to @Mike - LA ?
He's here just "listening" to the suggestions. Thanks for the input on this. I do want to be somewhat practical but as with most things I do I want even lighting grill fires to be fun to do. I'm really liking the flame thrower pistol Colin references, looks like a man would look forward to grabbing that and busting one off...as in charcoal starter. Busting one off(deer) now....turkey bird later on😋

It does work in our cold weather of 45° so I fully endorse it.

But I’ll struggle to grill in lower than 50°.
Pffftttttt. Piker. :)

I'll grill & smoke down well below 0 F (charcoal, not LP.) I generally use economy long stick lighters. Current batch is a lot of 6 that cost me all of $5 at Costco well over a year ago. I do keep them inside, as the butane won't vaporize when the temp dips below freezing. I am gonna have to look into that Zippo above.

Check the reviews on that Zippo. I had two and I never could get them to refill properly.
Now that was over 10 years so they might of changed something.

Pffftttttt. Piker. :)

I'll grill & smoke down well below 0 F (charcoal, not LP.) I generally use economy long stick lighters. Current batch is a lot of 6 that cost me all of $5 at Costco well over a year ago. I do keep them inside, as the butane won't vaporize when the temp dips below freezing. I am gonna have to look into that Zippo above.
Then you’ll really laugh that the car’s heated seats come on as soon as it’s below 70° outside. Just not built for cold weather anymore.

Then you’ll really laugh that the car’s heated seats come on as soon as it’s below 70° outside. Just not built for cold weather anymore.
<snicker> Ain't got nuffin' w/ heated seats. And a 1,200 lb. diesel engine takes about 20 minutes to come up to temp below 0 F. Yes, I've learned to wear my woolies. :) Now, my g/f.... she's really learned to like her heated seats.

Check the reviews on that Zippo. I had two and I never could get them to refill properly.
Now that was over 10 years so they might of changed something.
I've had similar experiences with practically every refillable butane devices. Almost universally, at the first fill, the valve doesn't open, or fails to seal (slow leak.)

I just use the classic MAPP torch....though I tend to purchase propane bottles for it as they are less expensive. I don't need the higher temp from MAPP gas to light charcoal.

Being wintery here a good portion of the year, I leave the torch in my closet as when I am grilling at -20C (about my lowest I'll go outside to cook at), it won't light/burn if I leave it outside. I grill a LOT and one canister easily lasts me the year plus...

Speaking of chimneys and starter media, everyone prolly has a few sterno/chafing cans laying around from parties.
Those work great and no cost if you already have them.

Back