Well.....She is finally done!!!! And man is she purdy

Take it or leave it advice. Mention "STAINLESS STEEL" when talking about the new parts. People love that. Take more photos of the inside. Unless you have something to hide in there, show it off. Pictures of the side burner open and maybe even lit. And, yes, I would get rid of the "choice of grates" and just put in the best set you have.
Also, you might want to consider finishing the wood. I think someone buying a grill like that expect it to be ready to go tonight and don't really want to deal with doing wood refinishing. I would use a middle to dark stain and give them a grill that is ready to cook Ribeyes on tonight.

Consider Craigslist and other sale sites as well if you are in a metro area.

This is all just my opinion and I won't be offended if you tear up this post and throw in the burn pit.
Good luck with that sale, I will be keeping an eye on it. Someone is getting a really pretty classic.

Oh, yah, another thing. I wouldn't mention the actual age. Just stating it is a classic is great, but someone is going to see 20 years and think "why would I buy a 20 year old grill for $500". Again, just my opinion.

Again, good luck.
Bruce

Take it or leave it advice. Mention "STAINLESS STEEL" when talking about the new parts. People love that. Take more photos of the inside. Unless you have something to hide in there, show it off. Pictures of the side burner open and maybe even lit. And, yes, I would get rid of the "choice of grates" and just put in the best set you have.
Also, you might want to consider finishing the wood. I think someone buying a grill like that expect it to be ready to go tonight and don't really want to deal with doing wood refinishing. I would use a middle to dark stain and give them a grill that is ready to cook Ribeyes on tonight.

Consider Craigslist and other sale sites as well if you are in a metro area.

This is all just my opinion and I won't be offended if you tear up this post and throw in the burn pit.
Good luck with that sale, I will be keeping an eye on it. Someone is getting a really pretty classic.

Oh, yah, another thing. I wouldn't mention the actual age. Just stating it is a classic is great, but someone is going to see 20 years and think "why would I buy a 20 year old grill for $500". Again, just my opinion.

Again, good luck.
Bruce
Hey Bruce that is all great advice and i will def make adjustments. I just tossed that ad up real quick after tightening the last screw on the grill.......i just wanted to get it on the market...........but again great suggestions......thank you!!!!! I will adjust this eve

I just fired up the computer and made some of the changes already. The only reason I didnt include the burner pics is because most folks dont know what they are looking at down there. But I changed up the ad a bit..........no age of grill.....stainless steel added........no grate option.......one more inside pic that I had on the computer.......but dang it...I dont feel like staining that cheap wood!!! My thoughts are the new owner will stain the wood right on the grill without removing each individual slat. Yes it is half a** but I sure as heck dont want to remove all those slats :)
Again...thanks for the advice!!!!!

Hey Jim, you just might find that one guy out there that will very much like to finish that wood to his specifications and that could be the one thing that seals the deal. No problem there. Good luck.

No bites yet.......just 3 compliments.....I have it on Craigslist as well. The hard part is done....now I will just sit back and wait.

I found a set of OEM Weber burners 7506 that I want to have in my hands and measure myself. I did also have an extra set in my shop that I measured and they were 29 1/8 but I dont think they are OEM....they are in a plain box.....I purchased them from another flipper. I will purchase these 7506's that I found on line because they are the correct OEM tubes....if they fall a little short I will just make sure to create a wedge under the guide screws to keep the bars secure against the manifold and not able to slide towards the guide screws. Again it is my understanding that we want the manifold to bottom out inside the tube vs just a little bit of the orifice being in the tube opening.

It doesn't matter if it bottoms out. Only that it's in far enough that vibrations and movement don't allow the burners to fall off the valve ends. It is normal for the burners to slide back and forth about 3/8 in or so. They should just not disengage the valves or fall off the block they rest on

Ya I am used to installing many burner sets.....and this is the first set that I have installed that just fell a little short 1/4".....I will make it right prior to selling......They will not fall off as they are but they will slip to a point that only the very tip of the orifice is in the tube......that doesnt sit well with me.

I measured the original burners that I removed from the grill 6months a go...they are 29 1/8. I had the guy I was gunna buy the 7506 Weber burners from measure the long tubes and he is getting 29 even......so going OEM is not gunna solve my problem.....might just need to fabricate a lil wedge to make this 100% safe and dummy proof.

Maybe the firebox is warped. But if they're that loose something is definitely wrong. Honestly I would not gerry rig it. If something goes wrong and the mod you do fails you can stand to be sued. It's a reason why I refuse to modify an old style KitchenAid unit with the modern speed control. Yeah sure it will work and I would use it with no worry on my own but when I have a customer with one of the old units and it goes bad I have to give them the "bad news" that it cannot be repaired anymore due to not being able to get parts. It would be just my luck that I retrofit it something goes amiss and boom I am in court. No thanks. Honestly Jim if I were you I would not advertise it or attempt to sell it until you find out exactly what is going on and make it right (not modified). I am not trying to be a jerk (though a few here have accused me of it LOL) but am truly trying to help you watch out for your interests.

Thanks for the info Larry.....no sir the box is not warped.......the new burners they sell now are 29" the old burners they sold in the day were 29 1/8 " so there was basically 1/8" short. All burners we install have slop left to right but in most cases the guide screws are so tight the burner tubes wedge themselves under the tight guide screw and washer. In my case the grill is 20yrs old and the guide screws are not to be messed with in the first place so it was my decision not to drill them out and make them so I could screw them in and out. All I wanted to do was not let the burner tube slop move too far towards the guide screws...but they would not.....would not...would not come off the manifold on their own....just 1/8" short thats all it was. I installed a stainless steel bolt with washer in the visible burner tube end void as a pin of sort.....it works perfectly as to not let the tubes slide away from the manifold...... I just sold the grill today and showed the buyer the bolts and showed him why I put them there so he would never remove them. I guess I should have been more clear in my original message.....but again they would not fall off on their own....I just preferred the tubes to bottom out on the manifold I didnt care about the non business end where the guide screws are.

Sold it to a wonderful family that was very happy to receive it. I always spend about 30 min showing how the grill works and safety measures. I invited the gent to join us here on the forum so if he does I will introduce him. He said he was going to cook on it tonight.....I cant fathom grease on my baby :(

Sounds like they will, tonight.
And no, I would not expect you to cook on a flip grill before you sold it. LOL.

Yep they were gunna do burgers........part of me would love to see how the ole 13 bar deep box cooks but the other part of me would be ready with the simple and steel wool. To this day my keeper grill on my deck remains extremely clean.....it helps that I cant cook :)

Back