WEBR goes private - breaking news

Chris, will this affect this site?
from the tiny print at the bottom of each TVWBB webpage: The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board is an unofficial Weber product fan site and is not affiliated with Weber-Stephen Products LLC.

Unless this site is included in the sale, there should be no change. But I am not Chris' spokesperson so he should reply, if so inclined: @Chris Allingham

Chris, will this affect this site?
Unless this site is included in the sale, there should be no change. But I am not Chris' spokesperson so he should reply, if so inclined: @Chris Allingham
I'll take $8.05 per share for the 1,000,000 shares of Chris A. Allingham LLC that I own. Yippee! 🥳

Just kidding...no, Joan, since this forum is not affiliated with Weber, it has no affect here.

No surprise I had mentioned months ago when the first offer came up that BDT would probably sweeten the deal and they did. They had the most to lose if Weber went bankrupt more or less protecting themselves the shares would have been worthless they made the loan to keep them solvent so they could negotiate the final price. So new boss same as the old boss more or less.

The lawyers can sue all they want nobody is stepping in with a higher offer and BDT already stated as they own 48% I believe that they were not selling.

Cook might not be far behind going private if I had to guess they are in a little bit better shape not much.

I'll take $8.05 per share for the 1,000,000 shares of Chris A. Allingham LLC that I own. Yippee! 🥳

Just kidding...no, Joan, since this forum is not affiliated with Weber, it has no affect here.
with a strike price of $0.45 a share, you'd be making out spectacularly if you had pre-IPO shares (strike price made up as I have zero knowledge of any insider pre-ipo share prices.) but i'm sure the vulture capital company that bought in on the original family sale did just fine on the ipo and run up. and the public will get hosed a bit on this deal if/when it closes. i'll take my losses and carry on. there's other stuff to buy out there.

Brett the public did not get hosed a bit if they bought the IPO they got killed. Never and I mean never buy a company that is selling shares in an IPO where all the money is going to Private Equity, if I remember none of the money actually went to Weber for operating capital. BDT actually did not sell that many shares their were other players there the IPO if I remember was supposed to be double the shares but wall street would not bite so they probably would have unloaded a lot more than they did.

I'm not sure any of the ones who got out made much of a killing they were there for awhile.

Why do you assume so? It can go either way.

Agree it can. In my experience at least, more often than not, firms are acquired by private equity so they can streamline operations (ie: cut costs and improve the balance sheet) and re-sell a few years down the road at a profit. I see those goals as conflicting with product build quality and customer service. Just my experience though.

Agree it can. In my experience at least, more often than not, firms are acquired by private equity so they can streamline operations (ie: cut costs and improve the balance sheet) and re-sell a few years down the road at a profit. I see those goals as conflicting with product build quality and customer service. Just my experience though.

“For over a decade, BDT has been a longstanding strategic partner for Weber. With their continued support, our global team will move forward in executing our long-term strategy with consumers and customers as our top priorities. And we’ll continue to sharpen our focus on doing what we do best: delivering the outdoor cooking industry’s most innovative, best-performing, highest-quality products and engaging millions worldwide who love to gather together and cook outside.”

“Weber is the #1 brand and global category leader in outdoor cooking, and it has demonstrated a relentless commitment to quality and innovation over its 70-year history. We look forward to continuing our partnership with the company and the founding Stephen family in its next chapter,” said Kelly Rainko, BDT Partner and Non-Executive Chair of the Board of Weber."

to me, it sounds like Weber found a capital partner to help grow and advance the brand. private companies can and do make a lot of money. going public isn't the only way to raise money to fund growth, expansion and increased market share.

this doesn't appear to be a liquidator acquisition but rather a strategic growth opportunity and going private is a smart choice, all things considered.

“For over a decade, BDT has been a longstanding strategic partner for Weber. With their continued support, our global team will move forward in executing our long-term strategy with consumers and customers as our top priorities. And we’ll continue to sharpen our focus on doing what we do best: delivering the outdoor cooking industry’s most innovative, best-performing, highest-quality products and engaging millions worldwide who love to gather together and cook outside.”

“Weber is the #1 brand and global category leader in outdoor cooking, and it has demonstrated a relentless commitment to quality and innovation over its 70-year history. We look forward to continuing our partnership with the company and the founding Stephen family in its next chapter,” said Kelly Rainko, BDT Partner and Non-Executive Chair of the Board of Weber."

to me, it sounds like Weber found a capital partner to help grow and advance the brand. private companies can and do make a lot of money. going public isn't the only way to raise money to fund growth, expansion and increased market share.

this doesn't appear to be a liquidator acquisition but rather a strategic growth opportunity and going private is a smart choice, all things considered.

However it goes, I have the Webers that I want and will continue to use them as long as I am able.

I hope you're right. But Kelly Rainko's comments are pretty much right out of the acquiring company playbook. "We're going to be the same great brand/product/team that we've always been, just with this great new partnership.". BDT's first priority is making a profit on their investment, understandably. I don't fault them for that one bit. But that reality is very much at play, and they aren't going to wait 10 or 20 years for that to happen.

They were private some cashed out when they went public which lasted all of what 16 months screwing the stockholders nothing to do with strategic growth by the way they were on their way to bankruptcy all you had to do was look at the last earning report and look at how much cash they had on hand along with the horrible earnings. BDT as I said had no choice to make this move otherwise they were in danger of losing their entire position if it went belly up. Good luck trying to take this thing public many years down the road wall street is not going to get suckered again so unless they raise money for sure some or not the majority of that cash will need to go to the company to pay down debt and actually have excess cash for operations.

They were private some cashed out when they went public which lasted all of what 16 months screwing the stockholders nothing to do with strategic growth by the way they were on their way to bankruptcy all you had to do was look at the last earning report and look at how much cash they had on hand along with the horrible earnings. BDT as I said had no choice to make this move otherwise they were in danger of losing their entire position if it went belly up. Good luck trying to take this thing public many years down the road wall street is not going to get suckered again so unless they raise money for sure some or not the majority of that cash will need to go to the company to pay down debt and actually have excess cash for operations.
I don’t know what BDTs model is. Their website is light on past deals and they’ve been around since 2009.

So either they’re an aggregator or a liquidator.

I don’t see COOK surviving in its current state. So maybe the two get aggregated and a synergy is formed, one where a company can be profitable

Or they right the ship, clean up the books and sell to a strategic partner, say one who already is in the backyard space.

IMO, there are still too many SKUs in the Weber line.

What does Weber have to show for since it was bought from the founding family? Offshored production and products? Innovation that’s market leading or sales category leader(s)?

I think there’s consensus the Smoke Fire flopped and failed to gain market share. Maybe a gen2 revision will be a better product?

The NG and LP gas grills are all the same except with temp control and Wi-Fi access.

The WSK, while a great grill doesn’t sell like a regular kettle does. The product is top quality at a reasonable price (reasonable to me at least). But that line alone cannot save the profit line.

I’d love to see Weber succeed. I’m a longtime customer. Since the late 80’s.

It’s a good product with an identified market and customers. But where do the new sales come from?

Last paragraph from a WSJ article is interesting and maybe offers hope to anyone wanting to see Weber continue as a great grill manufacturer:

BDT is affiliated with merchant bank BDT & Co., which specializes in advising and investing in family- and founder-led businesses. Its founder, Byron Trott, is a former Goldman Sachs Group Inc. executive and is known as a favorite banker of famed investor Warren Buffett.

Earnings report pretty ugly BDT had to throw in another $350 million in unsecured loans. Probably not one of their better investments to say the least kind of surprised they increased their offer for those shares nobody else was going to step into this.

Earnings report pretty ugly BDT had to throw in another $350 million in unsecured loans. Probably not one of their better investments to say the least kind of surprised they increased their offer for those shares nobody else was going to step into this.

Brutal summer sales season. Down 50% YOY. Either a lot of sales were pulled forward during Covid or the sales normalized to reality. BDT still has a good deal at $8.05 a share. They can right the ship, streamline productivity and get this back to profitability.

I was reading customer EX6 reviews online last night and that sku still has serious problems. Loyal Weber customers have defected due to that ownership experience.

There’s definitely changes coming and likely soon. The losses are unsustainable at those cash burn levels.

Last edited:
Likely they'll pull a Charbroil and simply off shore the whole company (kinda like what Weber did to DuCane) and shutter everything here. Pretty common MO for these kind of companies. Truly hope I am wrong.

Likely they'll pull a Charbroil and simply off shore the whole company (kinda like what Weber did to DuCane) and shutter everything here. Pretty common MO for these kind of companies. Truly hope I am wrong.
Why? That doesn’t solve the problem.

You have a large investment and a revenue line of $1.5B+?

It’s about ROI. Not just offshoring and cost cutting. This isn’t Chrysler, or at least so I believe.

The trend right now is reshoring back to the USA. Look at TSMC and other companies making investments in the USA.

Maybe a logistics realignment as in Mexico production for the Americas market. Covid made companies rethink China as the sole manufacturing place.

Apple is moving to new facilities and reducing its China reliance too.

I'm going to try to stay in the glass half full crowd until proven different. It's been concerning what has happened to Weber since they went public. Not just the stock but the apparently lesser customer support. Though I haven't bought a new Weber grill in these recent years, I check them out when I see a display and, while some changes are seemingly improvements, it doesn't appear to me the quality is there as it used to be. I'd be interested in what some of the newer purchasers think -- especially if they, for example, had a somewhat older Genesis.

Like I indicated I TRULY hope I am wrong here. But, given the current climate of things now I'm sticking by my original thought(s). Again, not to be argumentive or negative. If I am wrong no one will be happier than me

Back