Weber WSM 22.5 Way Too Large

Vaughan

TVWBB Member
I purchased a used (great condition) 22.5. I did not realize how large this smoker is (my bad). It is big and heavy. Now that I have it (again my fault) I am seeking the best way to dispose of it. Is it okay to ask for suggestions to dispose of it? I appreciate any help. Mods can delete this if it is inappropriate.

I’ve heard about the 22 WSM being too big several times. I like to smoke packer brisket and vacuum seal/freeze ~1 lb chunks, build a row of briquettes in a C shape around the perimeter of the ring and cool(er) smoke bacon and sausage, or take the water pan out and smoke/roast chicken whole parts or wings over direct fire, and smoke/roast the Thanksgiving Turkey by hanging it Pit Barrel Cooker-style on mine. I don’t think I could get by without it being smaller. Not for everyone I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

At times I have wanted a 22 WSM but realistically, most of the time my 18 WSM is too large. The 14 gets used the most. So I have resisted the urge to buy one when they come up on CL or FB Market.

They are big, but I really like mine for brisket and turkey, as Dwain said. Also use it for larger cookouts/crowds. I have the 18 as well, and it gets it's use, but I got the 22 just because the 18 wasn't always big enough. I'm sure that you won't have any trouble getting rid of it, if the price is reasonable.

Someday I would like to get a WSM. The 22 sounds like it makes a lot of sense to me, but you that are actual users often point people back to the 18 and even the 14.

If I was mostly interested in ribs, pork shoulders (at most 3 at once), and brisket, what would everyone here recommend?

Someday I would like to get a WSM. The 22 sounds like it makes a lot of sense to me, but you that are actual users often point people back to the 18 and even the 14.

If I was mostly interested in ribs, pork shoulders (at most 3 at once), and brisket, what would everyone here recommend?
I think that would all be fine on an 18, but will let others chime in.

I can say I cooked a spachcocked 20+ lbs turkey on my WSM 18 and it was just touching the edges when I put it in, but smoked perfectly.

Almost everyone will be happy with what they have, so need to look at what you'll use one for. Cooking for large groups for fun or professionally, get the 22.
Just a family, I went with the 18 because I had the room for it and gave me options like that turkey even though an 14 is fine for cooking for 3 or 4 people.

Summit Kamado.

How many people are you typically cooking for?

Most of the time six or less. When I do occasional bbq events I have more weapons in the arsenal - just ask my wife!

Probably the number one thing I would be interested in doing on a WSM would be ribs. I have seen a 14 used by just rolling the ribs into a circle. But knowing I could use a rack and do a half dozen all stretched out on a 22 has a lot of appeal. Then I hear about smoke and heat loss along with high fuel consumption. Well, there is also the 18, right?!!!

This is a classic bbq tool I have never even tried one time. There are some good deals out there on perfectly usable “pre-owned” ones. I am definitely tempted but not sure what model I would enjoy the most.

I had an 18 and I found it was big enough for about 4 peoples worth of whatever. My mini 14 was the go to for the two of us unless doing ribs I preferred to lay them flat on the 18. The 18 used 2+ times the amount of fuel the mini used.

I had an 18 and I found it was big enough for about 4 peoples worth of whatever. My mini 14 was the go to for the two of us unless doing ribs I preferred to lay them flat on the 18. The 18 used 2+ times the amount of fuel the mini used.
For cooking full or mostly full meals for 4-6, I thought the 18 was fine. 2 briskets, 4 pork buts work. Ribs depend on hoyou setup, but 4-6. All these meat cooks leave little or no room for anything else. On the 14.5 you really have to juggle or hand off to the grill.

Probably the number one thing I would be interested in doing on a WSM would be ribs

I didn't keep my WSM 22 long, yet one of the key reasons I bought it was so I could cook a lot of ribs flat.

I did two cooks with it and after side by side cooks with both St. Louis and Baby Backs, my family and I preferred ribs cooked on the BGE vs those cooked on the WSM or my pellet.

The WSM 22 used about 3x the coal that the BGE used. Cleanup was a lot more work on the WSM 22. I really wanted to love the WSM 22 but it just wasn't for me so I sold it and sold the pellet too.

I now cook ribs on the WSK E6. If needed, I can add a second layer rack and probably fit 5 full slabs flat. I'll be cooking two or three slabs on the E6 later today.

It depends on what you want to cook, and how much. For me if I'm going all out say a true bbq cook with appetizers ABTs or pork belly burnt ends, just one main meat usually ribs 6 racks is normal, beans, and Mac n cheese, one 22 isn't enough. I'm only talking 10 to 12 people. If you don't have left overs you left people hungry IMO. What I cook usually last 2 days possibly 3 if I don't get many of them back. That usually doesn't happen.

The word “dispose” is a little harsh especially talking about a smoker/cooker.
Can’t we use the word “recycle or repurpose”?
Putting all kidding aside, I wish you well on your quest.

I gotta a figure out a way to get my 22 WSM To you.

Back