***Weber Unicorn Alert*** SS Platinum Conversion from Shallow to Deep Box

Bruce very nice work well thought out.
You know the more I look at and see these grills with out the side burner and with the extra table surface. The more I like with out the side burner...
May have to do some searching for that part and do a trial install to see how I like it. I wonder what the part number is and a basic cost is?

I agree Jon. A rust proof cabinet would be ideal. But, I was just amazed at how heavy this thing is as it sits now. I would not be surprised if it is over 75 lbs as it sits now. A full cabinet would likely eclipse the 100 lb mark. So much for portability.

Kevin: You can use a standard Silver B side table to replace the side burner. I have always thought the side burner would be nice, but I know from experience what most say about them and that is that they are useless with any kind of wind.

Kevin: You can use a standard Silver B side table to replace the side burner. I have always thought the side burner would be nice, but I know from experience what most say about them and that is that they are useless with any kind of wind.
Bruce you are correct, I cooked on the gas grill but never used the side burner until last week and here in the high desert of AZ as you have heard from Rich Dahl it always blows and it makes it hard to use that burner . I would much rather have a self there.
I am going to have do some research or swapping.

Just remove the side burner, plug the tap for it in the manifold and drop a thermoset table in there and you are done.

Reviving this thread, @Bruce . There is a Platinum on FB, and if I were to try to throw in a deep box, will I also have to move everything over like you did? This one doesn't have a side burner, only the table.

Weber Genesis Platinum
Hey Alex,
I know that Bruce has been pretty sick, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in. The short answer is, yes, because the frame is still not the right size. The burners and control panel are all different, so you will have to do some serious adjustments/welding like Bruce did to make it all fit. But, it CAN be done!

Feel Better Bruce!

Also, that narrow right hand table is now perfect for the beverages, further from the cook box heat than the left side table.

Very nice grill, and again feel better soon, I'm going to want you to see my cross member repair coming soon!

Hey Alex,
I know that Bruce has been pretty sick, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in. The short answer is, yes, because the frame is still not the right size. The burners and control panel are all different, so you will have to do some serious adjustments/welding like Bruce did to make it all fit. But, it CAN be done!

Not sure if I'm up for taking on a project that requires welding at this point, but I'll keep that in mind. :D

Alex, even if you don't put in a deep box in the platinum I'd still take it at that price (maybe try to offer a little lower)....it's still an excellent grill even with the stock firebox.

Alex, even if you don't put in a deep box in the platinum I'd still take it at that price (maybe try to offer a little lower)....it's still an excellent grill even with the stock firebox.

I have like 4 grills in my backyard right now, so don't want to add anymore unless I absolutely MUST. I'll think about it. :D

Too far for me or I would find a spot for it. But, I would offer about half of what the guy is asking.

Bruce I just saw a pic of that looked like you converted this grill to a close cabinet grill. Do you have updates somewhere on how you did that?

Samuel: In a nut shell, I simply came across a great source for aluminum sheeting and made a bottom and wrap around sides and back and riveted it to the grill frame. That makes it fully rust proof. If you want more details or have additional information, let me know.

20230305_134932.jpg

My son, who used to make large signs for businesses showed me how to do it. Interestingly, all you need a straight edge and a box cutter. You will ruin a few blades but they are cheap. If you run the box cutter along the straight edge several times where you want the cut, eventually you can just bend along the cut and it will break off nice and neat along that cut. Of course, this is for sheet aluminum. Quite thin. I am guessing about 22 gauge or something like that. Still plenty sturdy for the bottom and sides of the grill though.

Back