Weber Summit Platinum D6

I was inspired by this thread to contact Weber and get a new lid and cooking box for my Summit Platinum D6!
Warranty was intact after 13 years and they made good with no debate. Took five minutes and new parts on the way.
I won't do a full restore as the grill funtions perfectly. Its my crud!!! About two years ago I put in new burners and ignighters. Issues are the heat shield inside the lid is a bit lose, but intact. Nuts rusted off. Main issue is the front lip of the box is porcelain steel and its corroded. Its a matter of time before it fails. Still a few years off. Not sure I will even fix this any time soon.. The plastic and steel shelves operate fine even if they are bit discolored. They clean up well enough. Not food grade. Never used the rotissore function or smoke box. Grill has been a solid performer since I bought new in 2007 as it was discontinued. Sat on show room floor off to the side. Was looking at the new ones and was dismayed by the $2000 price but was explained at the time Weber has a problem selling them as it seen as a big box brand and customers looking at higher end grills were not enthralled with the Weber at that price point. He showed me the new model to combat that perception which looked great but funtionality was no different then the model we discuss today. I was enthralled with the Stainless car and back components but really was not put off by the plasitic knobs or the porcelain control panel. I should have paid more attention to the box. Other than that its been great performer and cooks super.

To what end? His is much newer than mine so leaving it alone. Weber disappointed me and lost me as a customer for buying a new product. I like how they work and cook and will buy/refurbish a used one as needed but will never again plunk down huge $$$ to buy one new

Wow. What a timely thread! I too am in the middle of a platinum D6 resto. I have been looking to replace my summit gold 4 burner with one of these monsters for a long time and finally came across an incredibly clean example that sat barely used under a covered pool house her entire life, I paid $400. While I only realistically needed to replace the ignition module I went a little overboard and got new wheels and plastic trim. I have had ZERO luck finding the weber 9893 cover but hoping a NOS one will show up on ebay one day soon. Also missing the rotisserie bracket and spit. I have a motor from my 22 rotisserie I could use.

SDias, if you are not going to use your rotisserie I would be interested in taking that off your hands for a fair price!

Check out https://www.ereplacementparts.com/w...m-gas-grill-parts-c-193079_193087_193682.html

I was able to also find the L and R trim pieces that you seem to have repainted. They were only $20ish each. Part #'s are 82712 and 82711.

Looking forward to your response SDias!summit 1.jpgsummit 2.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great. How is the inside of the cabinet and the piece in the front of the fire box where the burners come through?

absolutely spotless! its raining here and I didn't feel like lifting the grates out but you can see front of firebox somewhat I hope! couple of questions for you guys:

1. what do you lubricate the gas manifold knobs with without disassembly? WD40?
2. who makes a good cover to fit this? What is your preference with regard to material? vinyl with a vent as in the old style weber covers or the new breathable fabrics (which feel cheaper to me for some reason)?

summit 3.jpgsummit 4.jpg

Provided that front panel is in good shape, it looks like you have one of the few Platinums still in good shape.

absolutely spotless! its raining here and I didn't feel like lifting the grates out but you can see front of firebox somewhat I hope! couple of questions for you guys:

1. what do you lubricate the gas manifold knobs with without disassembly? WD40?
2. who makes a good cover to fit this? What is your preference with regard to material? vinyl with a vent as in the old style weber covers or the new breathable fabrics (which feel cheaper to me for some reason)?
Do not use WD40. WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a solvent. The valves are easy to dismantle. Look at Chris' post.

As for covers I have heard good things about the KingKong covers. I personally like the old style Weber covers with the vents. But they are hard to find.

Thanks Bruce and Stephan H for the link to gas valve lubrication! I'll read up on that and do it the right way. Yeah, I was looking at king kong but was hoping someone had an angle on the old covers. Good to know you heard good things a bout king kong.

Hi all, new member here! Found this site and thread while searching online. Currenty have a Genesis Gold B stainless (bought in 2002) and it's getting pretty old. Still cooks awesome, but is totally rusted out. In searching for a replacement grill, I found a Summit Platinum D6 for sale locally for $425. Grill appears to be in very good shape, but one (far right) burner isn't working (not sure what's wrong with it). I have a few questions after looking for replacement parts. I can't seem to find the OEM flavorizer bars, grates, or most parts for this grill anywhere. I'm going to look at it tomorrow, is there anything I should be looking for to determine if I should pick this bad boy up? I was also wondering how difficult it would be to conver this grill from LP to Natural gas. Pics attached, thank you in advance!! :)

Attachments

• D6 1.JPG
    D6 1.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 30
  • D6 2.JPG
    D6 2.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 26
  • D6 3.JPG
    D6 3.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 25
  • D6 4.JPG
    D6 4.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 26
  • D6 5.JPG
    D6 5.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 28
Hi all, new member here! Found this site and thread while searching online. Currenty have a Genesis Gold B stainless (bought in 2002) and it's getting pretty old. Still cooks awesome, but is totally rusted out. In searching for a replacement grill, I found a Summit Platinum D6 for sale locally for $425. Grill appears to be in very good shape, but one (far right) burner isn't working (not sure what's wrong with it). I have a few questions after looking for replacement parts. I can't seem to find the OEM flavorizer bars, grates, or most parts for this grill anywhere. I'm going to look at it tomorrow, is there anything I should be looking for to determine if I should pick this bad boy up? I was also wondering how difficult it would be to conver this grill from LP to Natural gas. Pics attached, thank you in advance!! :)
[/QUO
hello i have a natural gas set up i will trade you where are you located

yup waiting in the shadows to be rebuilt from weber free lid and cook box new burners i will prob buy new flavor bars

Attachments

• P1070549 (1).JPG
    P1070549 (1).JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P1070647.JPG
    P1070647.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P1070640.JPG
    P1070640.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 18
Hi, Johnny, and welcome!

There is much here to respond to, and (it appears) that there is not much time before you need to decide whether to pull the trigger or not. I know virtually nothing about this series of grills so I suggest you wait for some of the more knowledgeable members to advise you. It would probably be better to start a new thread so that others don't have to wade through pages that don't pertain to your situation...it helps keep things organized. Anyway, our illustrious admin, Chris Allingham, is putting together a document covering gas conversions here:
Note that it is a work in progress but it will give you an idea of what is involved. Good luck, and Happy Grilling!

Hi Patrick. I'm in WI, Milwaukee area. You? Do you think I could get warranty service from Weber if I'm not the original owner? Thanks!

Hi, Johnny, and welcome!

There is much here to respond to, and (it appears) that there is not much time before you need to decide whether to pull the trigger or not. I know virtually nothing about this series of grills so I suggest you wait for some of the more knowledgeable members to advise you. It would probably be better to start a new thread so that others don't have to wade through pages that don't pertain to your situation...it helps keep things organized. Anyway, our illustrious admin, Chris Allingham, is putting together a document covering gas conversions here:
Note that it is a work in progress but it will give you an idea of what is involved. Good luck, and Happy Grilling!

Thanks Ed!

Well here ya go. Those grills are rabbit holes. The rust issues are very bad.................sadly. From what we've seen Weber is basically out of stock for major parts like the firebox. A couple people on here who are original owners have been successful in getting a new fire box under warranty but don't go counting on it. So first you want to pay VERY close attention to the fire box at the front where the burners poke through and also where the grates rest.
Second the flavorizer bars. There are no aftermarket ones. You have to go to Weber or at least buy Weber oem from a reseller. VERY expensive. In the range of $300+. Cabinet rust is an issue as well. Most parts if available cost a fortune.
Re, conversion. Most of that generation Summit had continuously variable valves. So conversion from LP to NG is pretty straightforward IF YOU ACTUALLY HAVE THOSE VALVES. Basically deciding if you want to run it with a regulator or if you can. Here too this depends on how your gas is delivered in your home. I have seen homes where NG is delivered via small diameter soft copper at high pressure and regulated at the appliance opening. I am NOT a fan of this.
So there is much to consider. Honestly I would tell you stay away even if it was free

Back