Weber Silver A Cross Member Length?

Looks good, Joe! Good luck on your sale!

Are you doing at least basic accounting (receipts, etc)? Here's something Larry said recently...beware the paper trail.

Looks great Joe! What did you think of those aftermarket grates? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on those. They look great in the picture.
The grates look good and well made but they are magnetic. At $15 they were a no brainer for a flip.
Keep us posted on how the sale goes. While you are not quite a northern state, I am sure grilling isn't quite as popular this time of year as summer time.
You are correct. I am still sitting on that Viking grill I restored. I was really hoping not to have to move it in March as it weighs in at over 350lbs!

RIchard, look for a good used one or just pick up a MIG welder from Harbor Freight. But, I do have to admit that either way, the accessories get pretty expensive as well. Helmets, gas, cart, wire, tips, pliers, gloves, etc....

RIchard, look for a good used one or just pick up a MIG welder from Harbor Freight. But, I do have to admit that either way, the accessories get pretty expensive as well. Helmets, gas, cart, wire, tips, pliers, gloves, etc....
I picked up the welder, helmet, magnets, etc for $300

Joe, that is a good deal. Are you going to convert to gas or just stick with Flux core?

Joe, that is a good deal. Are you going to convert to gas or just stick with Flux core?
If I start welding a lot of find an application that requires that level of neatness I'll consider it, as it is quite an added expense. When I had a small gas welding setup (many years ago), the tanks would need recertification every time I filled up and it was just to costly.

Ah yes. I trade my tanks in, kinda like Walmart tank exchange for LP. I get a #1 (20 cf) swapped for under $35. It lasts me quite a while. Except like the time I left the tank on while I wasn't using it for a month or so and it was empty when I went to use it....LOL. I suppose I should do a leak test on it, but I didn't bother since it is inert gas and not a safety issue.

Ah yes. I trade my tanks in, kinda like Walmart tank exchange for LP. I get a #1 (20 cf) swapped for under $35. It lasts me quite a while. Except like the time I left the tank on while I wasn't using it for a month or so and it was empty when I went to use it....LOL. I suppose I should do a leak test on it, but I didn't bother since it is inert gas and not a safety issue.
Thanks. I just did some research and it seams the price is about the same here. It looks like the start up cost would be about $150 for the initial tank and about 50 for the regulator, hose, wire. I would think it would be something to consider after my move and welding cart.

Thanks. I just did some research and it seams the price is about the same here. It looks like the start up cost would be about $150 for the initial tank and about 50 for the regulator, hose, wire. I would think it would be something to consider after my move and welding cart.
You can rent tanks or you can buy them. Tanks are an investment and last just about forever. Tanks go up in cost and in value as the years pass. Tanks that you own can be bought, sold, or traded. I started with buying the smallest bottle on my MIG welder and found that the refill cost between it and the next size up was not very much (look into it and you will see what I mean) so I could actually save money on refills by trading up by a size or two. I own all my tanks (I own 4 of them...oxygen + acetylene, argon for my TIG and steel mix for my MIG). Always keep your receipt to show that you are the tank owner and you can get it swapped out anywhere. Rental tanks can only be swapped out at the company that owns them and there may be a demurrage charge. Always check for a leak by opening the valve and then closing it and watching for a pressure drop. If it drops try tightening the tank fitting but if it still drops, you have a problem that is costing you money every time you open the valve whether you are using the welder or not. That's how I look at it, but other people are ok with it.

Last edited:
I have helmet, gloves, clamps etc as I have had a stick welder for years but cannot use it where I live now as I don’t have a garage and no 220v in my shed. I miss having a welder and one running on 110v would do all I need to weld now.

I used my vacation pay in 1976 to buy my oxy-acetylene rig, a Victor Journeyman set with 125 cf oxy, 75 cf acetylene tanks, for just under $500. They sold me rental tanks when I had paid for the tanks outright, but I didn't notice until many years later when I wanted to get them filled. The company had closed the location where I bought them, and I had moved 40 miles away, but they were just opening a new location nearby. I had the receipt and I went to the new location with receipt in hand expecting a fight about getting them exchanged for commercial tanks but the guy behind the counter recognized his handwriting on the receipt and swapped them out cheerfully. The kicker was, he had retired and that day was his last day on the job...he was just there to help with opening the store. He remarked about how much the cost of those tanks had gone up.

I have helmet, gloves, clamps etc as I have had a stick welder for years but cannot use it where I live now as I don’t have a garage and no 220v in my shed. I miss having a welder and one running on 110v would do all I need to weld now.
The welder I bought uses 110 or 220. My garage now has only 110 and I have the new one wired with 2 - 220v for a welder and maybe an electric car down the road. With copper prices I spent a lot of extra $$ wiring things for potential future stuff.

Very good idea Joe. You will be happy that you planned ahead. The 220 for the welder will help a lot, especially if you do bigger jobs.

Well, starting out, I was lucky to break even on my first few grills. If you keep going, it will get better. Hard to quantify the satisfaction factor though.

Well, starting out, I was lucky to break even on my first few grills. If you keep going, it will get better. Hard to quantify the satisfaction factor though.
I am very happy to see it move on to a new life instead of the dump.

The is buying it for his wife for Christmas! He says she likes to grill. I really hope she is one of those practical women that really wants a grill;-)
As a possible bonus he said he may drop off his old Weber when he comes to pick it up. We will see.

Back