Weber Seasonings / Caking

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Not sure how many use Weber spices - I'm a big fan of several, Kick'n Chicken, Gourmet Burger, Steak and Chop and a few others. All of them are clumping and caking. I keep all spices in same place and no other brand has a problem. Anyone else have this issue?

We use them. I have to kind of pound the bottom of the container with my palm to loosen them up. Try putting them in a Ziplock and squeezing all the air out before storing for any length of time. I do that with my smoked paprika.

I will tell you a secret...

Many years ago I belonged to a market research company that did new product testing. They'd send us stuff, we tried it, filled out a survey and kept the rest of the product, and they paid us $5 per survey.

I was part of the group that did the Weber seasonings. If memory serves, Kick'n Chicken, Gourmet Burger, and Cajun Spice were the three they tried. I wish I still had the old bottles, they had a goofy looking generic label on them. At the time we were not allowed to talk about what we had tried to anyone except those who lived in the home. I recall that it took well over a year after doing the Weber seasonings before they hit the shelves. We had run out and I remember contacting the marketing company to find out if they had abandoned the idea or what, but they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me anything.

Tested Lipton's bottled green tea and Coke Zero too, plus other stuff I can recall. A lot of it was looking at pictures and telling them which label looked nicer for some new cold medicine or cleaner.

Anyway, if you really like the weber seasonings, you can thank ME!

That'll be $29.99...:D

Caking is okay with me. If your blends don't cake, it is because they've added something.

If you use any supplements that come with food safe silica gel packs in them, you could put one in your bottle.

I don't think their lids seal well, try a small piece of plastic wrap over the opening before replacing the lid.

Here it's pretty dry except for the monsoon season and yes even when our humidity is in the teens out of the ten or so Weber's seasonings I have about half of them cake up. Including the three you mentioned. Doesn't seem to impact the flavor though.
Jim may be on to something, I've never broke the seal on a new bottle and had the contents caked up and who knows how long it sat on the store shelf.

Back