Weber recalling unsold SmokeFire grills to the factory

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I'm told that Weber has recalled back to the factory unsold SmokeFire grills from dealer inventory. My assumption is that these grills will be upgraded with all of the changes applied to current owner grills since the initial release and sent back out to dealers at some point.

Wow!! That sounds like an expensive proposition! I wonder if this is dealer driven. You would think that Weber could just ship replacement parts to owners when they register their SmokeFire from an authorized dealer just based on the serial number.

You would think that Weber could just ship replacement parts to owners when they register their SmokeFire from an authorized dealer just based on the serial number.
They could certainly do that. Just not a great customer experience. Like buying a new pickup truck and finding several boxes of parts in the bed that you need to install when you get home because the dealer was too lazy to do it for you.

Interesting. Lowe’s appears to be trying to clear out their existing stock. I just picked up a brand new EX6 for $950 that was marked as “clearance”. They tried to give me a poorly assembled floor unit but I asked for a boxed one and got it. Weber agreed to immediately ship me the upgraded auger assembly and pellet slide. I’ll put up with the inconvenience of installing the parts for that discount.

Sounds like something a Chevy dealer would do. 😆
Not to stray to far off topic, but I remember as a boy back in the sixties a good friend of mine’s dad bought one of the first Honda cars sold in the Seattle area, and that is exactly what he had to do. We helped him install the tiny back seat, mirrors, bumpers, and more. And look a Honda’s now. One of the most highly rated cars on the road.

Good idea. I think they are more worried about the software updates. Maybe fan speed and such. Do not want to risk an early production causing any trouble. That would be a problem.

I wish someone here were a fly on the wall at Weber; it would be interesting to have insider info that drives decisions like this and other things, lol. For instance, one could speculate poor sales and a bad rap led to this decision and they'll market this recall in hopes of getting back on track. Or maybe that sales are on track but warranty claims skyrocketed. Or a bazillion things in between, including exaggerated social media misinformation.

Also not everyone is mechanically skilled or have the required tools to replace parts that require the disassembly and replacement of the parts.

Interesting development to say the least.
I have been annoyed from day one that Weber did not set a standard for every part I should have.
If they improved any part in the SF I should automatically be sent the part and not have to ask for it.

If they improved any part in the SF I should automatically be sent the part and not have to ask for it.

I understand your feelings and on the surface it seems logical. But in reality, especially with consumer goods, manufacturing just doesn't work that way as a whole. And component rev changes occur for a variety of reasons other than form-fit-function improvements. You have proven to us that Weber has taken good-care of you and also that they have a darn good product in the SmokeFire :). When manufacturers add electronics and automations to their products it is a new ballgame for them, lol.

I understand your feelings and on the surface it seems logical. But in reality, especially with consumer goods, manufacturing just doesn't work that way as a whole. And component rev changes occur for a variety of reasons other than form-fit-function improvements. You have proven to us that Weber has taken good-care of you and also that they have a darn good product in the SmokeFire :). When manufacturers add electronics and automations to their products it is a new ballgame for them, lol.
Good point, I am a very happy customer and Weber has definitely done an AMAZING job not only with my SmokeFire but with all my grills.

I think that Weber should of offered only one model. Start with the EX4 and see how it sells, and how user friendly it is before you offer a larger model.
Same as the Summit charcoal. I think they went large to fast.

I think that Weber should of offered only one model. Start with the EX4 and see how it sells, and how user friendly it is before you offer a larger model.
Same as the Summit charcoal. I think they went large to fast.
Nah, the ex6 is amazing!

My take is that Weber knows they need a reboot to get this thing selling like they had originally hoped. Reading after those here who have stuck it out and incorporated all the hardware and software replacements and patches, it does seem like they have ironed out many of the worst issues. Certainly, we have seen some GREAT looking BBQ from members here.

I made some pretty strong comments about how disastrous I feared this poor roll-out was going to be for Weber. I think sales have had to have been way below their hopes - and that in a rapidly growing category they HAVE to succeed in. I still think this has been a public relations and probably a financial flop so far. I admire that Weber finally admitted there were issues (even if they used corporate double-talk to say so) and came up with some solid fixes. Some of the fixes are actually similar to what members here did on their own. Anyway, I hope they can reboot and make a SmokeFire II that much better meets everyone's expectations and is a profitable line of grills for the company. I want Weber to stay in business and to be rewarded for at least "assembling" these grills in the US.

Back