Weber Q 1200 ?

Hi Lance, you can do a version of indirect on the Q1200. Here is a link to Weber Australia showing how.

https://www.weber.com/AU/en/using-the-weber-q-roasting-trivet/weber-405404.html

I have both the trivets and convection trays for the 1200 and 2200 and have done chicken breasts and pork loin roasts with success. I don't think Weber sells them anymore in the US but you might find old stock out there. The trivet for the 1200 is 30 cm X 22 cm, so if you find something close it will work with the tinfoil. Just make sure you have enough room around the outside of the tinfoil for proper airflow. Below is a pic of the Weber small grilling basket (not pictured on a Weber) which works great on the Q.
xiQsIor.jpg

Also, the Q works well for bacon with no mess to clean up.
zAw1Xsi.jpg

Hope this helps,
Richard.

Thanks for the pics, link and info it's greatly appreciated.

I've actually been searching for a old stock trivet all day with no luck, I'll definitely come up with something.

OK so second cook down on the Q-1200 and I’m absolutely amazed at this grill! I was wondering if my first cook on it turning out so good was a fluke but the second cook was even better. I’m blown away by the fact I cook better on it vs my Spirit E-310 very confused lol.....

For basic grilling, they are warriors. It is hard to mess it up as long as you keep tabs on the doneness of the meat or whatever you are cooking. If you want to do a rack of ribs or brisket, you will definitely get better results on the Spirit. Burgers, steaks, chicken breast, legs, thighs, wings, etc.... are what the Q grills were made for. I know some have even cooked Turkeys on the Q3200 with great results.

For basic grilling, they are warriors. It is hard to mess it up as long as you keep tabs on the doneness of the meat or whatever you are cooking. If you want to do a rack of ribs or brisket, you will definitely get better results on the Spirit. Burgers, steaks, chicken breast, legs, thighs, wings, etc.... are what the Q grills were made for. I know some have even cooked Turkeys on the Q3200 with great results.

I do have a WSM and Kettle with a slow-N-sear that covers my low and slow cooks (also have a vortex for kettle wings). The gas grills are strictly for my hot n fast stuff mostly on week nights for 2 people.

I have many Weber’s including all three sizes of Q’s. All have their unique features and uses. For straight out grilling the Q3200 is my daily driver, especially in the snowy winter months up here in the great white north. Plastic and aluminum so nothing to rust, easy on fuel, tight spacing on the cast iron grates and great performance. What’s not to like! :D

. The gas grills are strictly for my hot n fast stuff mostly on week nights for 2 people.

Exactly; that is why in the next month or so I plan on purchasing a new WeberQ 1200 to complement my Weber Mastertouch,Weber Performer Deluxe,Weber Smoky Joe Kettles and my WSM 18" "Classic". Our household is only composed of the Wife, our Mutt "Manchas" and me.

Exactly; that is why in the next month or so I plan on purchasing a new WeberQ 1200 to complement my Weber Mastertouch,Weber Performer Deluxe,Weber Smoky Joe Kettles and my WSM 18" "Classic". Our household is only composed of the Wife, our Mutt "Manchas" and me.

And a whole lotta Weber grills

And a whole lotta Weber grills

Bruce; I bought my WSM 18" "Classic"(Reason:to smoke) in the year 2008, the Weber Mastertouch(Reason:grill for the wife, guests and dog), Weber Smoky Joe(Reason: Just me and the dog) in 2016, and now the Weber Performer Deluxe in 2020(Reason:propane lighter and metal table). All were bought new as in my experience I never saw Used Weber grills/smokers for-sale here in Costa Rica since living here since the Year 2000. Also, as I recall I bought a new Weber OTG Grill in Costa Rica in the year 2006 which I gave to my wife's son when I purchased the Weber Mastertouch Grill.

Last edited:

Lol, you sound just like me. I have 10 Weber grills now and the Q1200 has been a great addition. I originally got it when I was in Dallas with all of my best friends from college for OU/texas weekend and instead of going out for dinner on the Friday night of the weekend, we decided to hang out in the hotel courtyard with the pool and firepit and grill up some dinner. I needed a new grill to use with our camper that we had recently purchased so I got the Q1200 to use that weekend and then it would be our camping grill. Well, to say I was blown away with the performance of this grill the very first time I used it would be an understatement. Damn thing got to almost 600 degrees right off the bat and is an absolute workhorse if necessary. I originally got it to be strictly my travel grill but it ended up being my tailgating grill, travel grill when I need to cook a lot of food, and I even use it at home when I'm grilling for just me and the wife sometimes. I then bought both a gas and charcoal version of the Go Anywhere grills for the camper since they are better sized for travel and when we are in the camper it's usually cooking just for me and the wife.

First I got the cart for it. It was on sale at Home Depot one day when I was on my way to the checkout for something like $50 so I had to snag one.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FLRB0GK/tvwb-20

71aqNADCypL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Then came the griddle. It replaces half of the normal grate so it's perfect for breakfast cooking, grilling onions and peppers when I make bacon wrapped dogs, philly steak sandwiches, and even for some good steak searing because it can get so hot.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FLRB00G/tvwb-20

31HBeKmfjOL._AC_.jpg

I also got the propane hose adapter talked about earlier to use a 20lb tank. My next purchase for it will likely be this:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07T52ZVW6/tvwb-20

71M0JIqq7lL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Mike:
If you wind up purchasing those SS grates for your Q girll, please post up a review. I have been contemplating a set for a while now, but was hoping someone else would grab a set first and post up their thoughts. With a good set of SS grates, those grills really would become bullet proof.

Mike:
If you wind up purchasing those SS grates for your Q girll, please post up a review. I have been contemplating a set for a while now, but was hoping someone else would grab a set first and post up their thoughts. With a good set of SS grates, those grills really would become bullet proof.

Will do. They definitely look intriguing so after I get them I'll give my review.

I too had been contemplating them BUT the issue is the cast iron heavy tight spaced grate from Weber is an integral part of the cooking design and after much consideration I truly believe the addition of that SS grate would severely hamper the cooking ability and the qualities that set the Q apart from every other run of the mill portable

I too had been contemplating them BUT the issue is the cast iron heavy tight spaced grate from Weber is an integral part of the cooking design and after much consideration I truly believe the addition of that SS grate would severely hamper the cooking ability and the qualities that set the Q apart from every other run of the mill portable

I have certainly considered that as well. But, I'm just not sure how much the stock grates actually do affect the overall performance so I'm going to give them a shot. I'll post up a review after I use them.

Mike, I don't know if you have a Q1200 or Q100. The grates will fit both, but I think you would need some clips for it to work on Q100 since they don't have the little notches for the two part grills. Just wanted to warn you about that. Also, there is a 5% discount coupon on those grates right now.

Without the mass of those grates the Q will not grill with anywhere near the same efficiency and quality. If you look at the first design of the electric Q they used stainless rod grates but they had real issues holding heat. So they now use the very heavy tight spaced CI grates on the electric that they use on the gas models. I am sure it was not a cost saving measure either. It was a thermal efficiency issue. I have a feeling you're going to be sorely disappointed in the Q and realize it was a waste of $$$. I was truly going to buy them but the more I looked at design and unlike a regular grill how much the grate actually plays into what makes a Q so "great" is the very heavy CI grate. It absorbs tons of heat and then releases it very slowly and evenly.
I will be interested to see what you think but the scientist in me says no go

What I wish is that it was practical to make cast Stainless Steel grates. I saw this on a high end grill recently, so I know it can be done. Price would be an entirely different matter. If such a thing was made for the Q it would hopefully offer close to cast iron performance with stainless steel longevity.

Without the mass of those grates the Q will not grill with anywhere near the same efficiency and quality. If you look at the first design of the electric Q they used stainless rod grates but they had real issues holding heat. So they now use the very heavy tight spaced CI grates on the electric that they use on the gas models. I am sure it was not a cost saving measure either. It was a thermal efficiency issue. I have a feeling you're going to be sorely disappointed in the Q and realize it was a waste of $$$. I was truly going to buy them but the more I looked at design and unlike a regular grill how much the grate actually plays into what makes a Q so "great" is the very heavy CI grate. It absorbs tons of heat and then releases it very slowly and evenly.
I will be interested to see what you think but the scientist in me says no go

Thanks for the post, great information!

Any Forum Members using the Custom Grill Grates from Grillgrate.Com for your Weber Q 1200 and how is it working-out?

I purchased some-time ago the Custom Grill Grate from Grillgrate.com for my Weber Smoky Joe Charcoal Grill and remain one-happy Grillgrate customer.

Last edited:

Back