Weber Pull Out Tray - 40968012

Alan-Yosemite

TVWBB Member
BBQParts.com has a limited quantity of the pull out tray for the older Genesis - part number 40968012. They have some scratches on them. I ordered one for my 1993 Genesis.

"In a recent inventory, we found small supply of these in our warehouse. We have had them for over 20 years. They are in good condition - a scratch here and there, no dents, some raw metal around the center hole of the tray (no porcelain coating). Please don't order if you won't be happy. Because of their scarcity and demand, we are limiting quantity to one tray per customer."

This was a great find for anyone who really needed or wanted a new one, thanks for posting. They probably didn't have that many to begin with and it would be interesting to see how many of our members were able to take advantage before they were sold out.

Pretty steep price IMO. But if you really need/want one, those are probably as close to new as you will find.

That was a nice source for an end-user wanting it for a keeper grill. Not likely to ever happen again, but as Bruce said a little steep. Not for flip grills. Still, I am glad that BBQParts.com made them available and happy they sold well for them. They are a really good company that cares about fans of older grills.

I'm fortunate to have one more bottom pan than I have useable cook boxes, lids or frames.

Price is the same as a replacement for an E330 from Weber.

I was in a near panic when I was cleaning up the drip tray on my platinum series restoration. I uncovered a few rust holes and the front lip of the tray had a corner nibbled off by rust as well. I've since acquired some much nicer ones, so this is technically the worst one I have. 20211008_153838.jpg

That looks brand new. Did you paint it? If so, what did you use?
I filled in the rust holes and rebuilt the lip with jb weld, sanded it all down and repainted it with rustoleum hi heat ultra paint. It came out nicer than I expected or needed it to for a mostly unseen but important part.

I know we have had a number of strong words here about painting anything inside a grill. I would agree that freshly applied paint - even high heat - is suspect. But is it really true that after a long burn in or two that you would still have any toxic fumes to worry about? I don't honestly know, but I wish I did. I will be interested in what others think.

Steve, I think what you did on that "worst" drip tray is pretty amazing!

I have thought about asking the metal shop we work with for a quote to fab a drip tray out of stainless.

It would most likely cost way more than $70, but would last longer than me.

Anyone ever look into this?

On my 93 grill, the drip tray was in bad shape compared to the rest of the grill.

I have thought about asking the metal shop we work with for a quote to fab a drip tray out of stainless.

Anyone ever look into this?

On my 93 grill, the drip tray was in bad shape compared to the rest of the grill.
Here's an old thread on the pull out drip tray.

I know we have had a number of strong words here about painting anything inside a grill. I would agree that freshly applied paint - even high heat - is suspect. But is it really true that after a long burn in or two that you would still have any toxic fumes to worry about? I don't honestly know, but I wish I did. I will be interested in what others think.

Steve, I think what you did on that "worst" drip tray is pretty amazing!
I figured it was a relatively safe thing to do since it was at the bottom end of the grill and most of the heat radiates up on these grills. Also, since it would get completely coated in grease anyway I wasn't too worried about it.

I'm still on the team that says somebody go to China and have them made out of foil, sell them for 10 for $50, and toss 'em when they get dirty. Probably not enough demand for that so I'm not holding my breath. Maybe someone can find an existing foil pan close enough to serve as a liner...it's the right time of year to be looking.

I think, if I were ever in need of a repair material, that I would give this product some consideration.

Last edited:
The thing about these trays is that the porcelain coating makes for a slick surface that grease more quickly runs off and into the small foil collector pan below. Stainless steel would clearly last a lot longer, but it wouldn't work quite as well for grease run-off. Foil would need to be formed to be nice and smooth and maintain enough slope. I know some people line these trays with Reynolds wrap, but it seems to me that it would be hard to keep it from becoming wrinkled and even a grease-fire trap.

I am afraid the unavailability of this part is going to be the #1 thing that does in future restoring of our beloved old Gennies. I wish we could get someone like Qlimetal to add this to their offerings, but I guess it is a more complex manufacturing project than making grates and flavorizer bars.

Back