Weber Platinum with Glass Doors?

OP - you’re in Toronto!

If you plan to use this grill, it’s a good find. I don’t believe the resale market in our town will make it worth your while to fix it up and also make your labour profitable.

In many years of scouring local classifieds, it’s only the second one I’ve seen - so definitely rare. I do believe the hood is swapped out. And it doesn’t have a flame check, but I think two different models of 5000 existed. The glass doors are very cool, but I figured they’d just get broken at my house.

Hey Mike!

Actually located just north of London Ontario. My curiosity is up on this grill. Can you or anyone else give me any insight on what to look for or serial numbers? Thanks.

Rob

RobW, I think you might be after some sort of "Spotter's Guide", but there is none. Your best hope, IMO, is to take lots of pictures and post them, but beware...my personal experience on this is that once a picture or ad for an early Gen goes online here, it seems that it gets sold soon thereafter. Best option might be to get it home first and then figure out what you have.

So what’s the update. Did you get the grill.?

I pick up the exact grill tomorrow with a green lid with the platinum logo and plastic handle and slats

Not sure on the year, I’m guessing a 98

Rob,
I'd grab it as they are tough to come by, especially with all the glass intact.

I'm gonna say someone pieced that grill together which is not too uncommon for a 25+ year old grill. Not only is the Hood different, but it has the plastic handle as well as what looks like Durawood shelves. The 5000's were all wood, just painted grey.
I also do not see the "Flame Check" button on the Control Panel.

Here is my 5000 in the Mauve Grey color.

fYltBXi.jpg

Jeff
Thats beautiful man, If I ever see one of these im jumping on it

Just picked up this Genesis 5000 in Phoenix last week ... Lucky for me my favorite price ..free :) Per previous posts yes I too am very lucky all glass intact! Even had original manifold bracket and flame check button! 1990 frame with a 93 hood... Will post final restoration pics when done ..of course keeping in personal collection

Attachments

• 20210214_144414.jpg
    20210214_144414.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for posting, Mark! We will all be awaiting your restoration pictures. Maybe start a new thread that can be tagged to stay in our sticky on Genesis restorations. That would be a very special one to have for posterity here.

Weber has had a long and winding story. There is always something new to learn! Thanks for showing us that, Chris.

LOL, I am still a long way from the interstate on that one. I am just looking for a paved road at this point.

Just a quick update for everyone- I have been trying to get a hold of the guy but no such luck. I did notice that this one sat for sale for some time, hopefully he will email back. I will provide an update once/if I hear back from him.

Rob

Back