Weber Platinum with Glass Doors?

RobW-ToolmakerRob

TVWBB Member
Hi All,

Just thought I would post a photo of a Weber platinum that went for sale recently. I have never seen them with glass doors. Is this a previous owners' personal handiwork?

More curious than anything else.

Rob

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201106-101501_Kijiji.jpg
    Screenshot_20201106-101501_Kijiji.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 79
Rob, I would say that is a Genesis 5000 that someone swapped on an old Platinum hood. The original hood had stripes like that but was gray or “mauve.” The fact that it still has those 1980’s stereo cabinet glass doors makes it pretty valued to a collector.

JUMP! I know I would. See if you can talk him down, of course. My wife says no, costs too much and we have too many already, but it's a piece of history.

$165 CDN? What is that, $120 US? My wife now says she would do it if I take her to Canada!

I would jump on that too! Since you are in Canada, it is entirely possible that Weber sold a Canadian version with a Platinum hood and the 5000 glass door body. Regardless, that is pretty special. Even if you don't want it for yourself, I think you could flip it profitably if advertised correctly.

Rob,
I'd grab it as they are tough to come by, especially with all the glass intact.

I'm gonna say someone pieced that grill together which is not too uncommon for a 25+ year old grill. Not only is the Hood different, but it has the plastic handle as well as what looks like Durawood shelves. The 5000's were all wood, just painted grey.
I also do not see the "Flame Check" button on the Control Panel.

Here is my 5000 in the Mauve Grey color.

fYltBXi.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

I wasn't planning on it at all but now that you have stoked this Newbie's curiosity I have messaged him to see if it is still available and what condition it is in. If I hear anything I will let you know.

Rob

Jeff,
Yours is a great time capsule taking you back to the ultimate Weber Genesis of its day. Thanks for showing it again; it is a VERY SPECIAL grill!

Jon,
Too bad it sits all in pieces in my cellar waiting for the day that I give it a worthy restore. The way my kids send the Dek Hockey balls and Basketballs flying I'm too nervous to leave it outside with the others.

Jeff

I wouldn't buy them a BB gun for Christmas. Just sayin'. My childhood home still has the pock marks.
I really shouldn't complain about a couple broken lights. Hockey got my Daughter a full College scholarship for her Ice Hockey skills and she plays for Team USA for Ball Hockey. She has been on Woman's USA Ball Hockey team since the age of 16 and has traveled to the Czech Republic and Slovakia the last three years for competition missing this year due to Covid.

Here she is practicing in the back driveway, no she doesn't get those leg muscles from me, those are from my Wife. Her Slap Shot shot is clocked at 87mph.

esO5GkB.jpg

Here she is after capturing Silver at the Worlds. Stefanie was named Most Valuable Defenseman, She is the Team USA player in the middle of the photo.

IkqTPmb.jpg

OK...Proud Dad rant over. Back to grill talk.

Jeff

I wouldn't buy them a BB gun for Christmas. Just sayin'. My childhood home still has the pock marks.
Many years ago, my dad bought me a Daisy BB target rifle. Used to play with that thing for hours. We had cousins that lived a couple blocks away. Had a good friend who lived just behind our house as well. Cousin and I would practice with them for hours. We got really good at using the little plastic toy soldiers setting them up on a ladder. From about 30' away we were able to shoot the heads off them. One day, my cousin dared me to shoot a bird outta the sky that was flying overhead. Never turning down a challenge, I took a bead, judged the lead and fired. The bird fell. Right into his neighbor's yard, proceeding to flop around spewing blood all over. Of course old neighbor lady sticks her head out and screams. Oh BOY did we get in trouble.
During summer break my dad always had to make up these "chores" for me to do. One was sweeping the driveway. He swore he could tell if I did or not. My friends used to tease me about it. The one living behind me, one morning started throwing clods of dirt over that would break on the driveway and make me sweep more. I warned him to stop. he didn't so my trusty Daisy came out from the garage and when he bent over to get another clod a shot rang out headed right for his ***. It struck home. He jumps up yelling "you shot me in the ***". His mom hears him screaming, takes him inside, drops his pants to find a sizeable welt. I got in trouble but I was truly proud of myself for such excellent marksmanship LOL. BTW we stayed friends and he never did that again so I never had to shoot him again LOL :D

Oh, the bb gun stories I could tell. I owned one from age 7 to still owning one today. First a daisy red rider, then a crossman 760. Like Larry, I would shoot it all day long and got quite good with it. I got to the point I would shoot tall field grass stalks in two by simply hip shooting and I would hit them 4/5 times. I shot my share of birds and like larry, I knocked a blue jay out of the sky that landed on the roof of our house. No one found out and a day later it was gone. I guess a crow found lunch. My sister shot out our neighbors car window with it. She didn't even get in trouble. I would still be grounded if it was me.
I guess one of my biggest recollections of my bb guns was my Mom vacuuming my bedroom and sucking dozens of those little suckers up in the vacuum. Oh, what a noise. It was a weekly ritual where she would get mad and I would get chewed out. I learned quick that it was best to get up early on Saturday and get the he11 out. Oh, and yes, we had bb gun fights.....kids are sooooo stupid.

Oh and of course my friend's mom had to come over and explain to my mom. "He wasn't doing ANYTHING and he shot my "little Ricky" in the ***. Mom looks at me, and I could see the twinkle that she was trying so hard to not laugh and had to feign anger to my friend's mom. She knew he was being a jerk but she couldn't say that LOL. I got a little "punishment" so at least it showed something was done about my bad behavior LOL. But I think deep down inside mom was kinda proud of me :D

So I finally got a reply back and the Platinum(?) is still available. Are there any tell tale marks or numbers I could ask for? Still very new at Webers/models.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Many years ago, my dad bought me a Daisy BB target rifle. Used to play with that thing for hours. We had cousins that lived a couple blocks away. Had a good friend who lived just behind our house as well. Cousin and I would practice with them for hours. We got really good at using the little plastic toy soldiers setting them up on a ladder. From about 30' away we were able to shoot the heads off them. One day, my cousin dared me to shoot a bird outta the sky that was flying overhead. Never turning down a challenge, I took a bead, judged the lead and fired. The bird fell. Right into his neighbor's yard, proceeding to flop around spewing blood all over. Of course old neighbor lady sticks her head out and screams. Oh BOY did we get in trouble.
During summer break my dad always had to make up these "chores" for me to do. One was sweeping the driveway. He swore he could tell if I did or not. My friends used to tease me about it. The one living behind me, one morning started throwing clods of dirt over that would break on the driveway and make me sweep more. I warned him to stop. he didn't so my trusty Daisy came out from the garage and when he bent over to get another clod a shot rang out headed right for his ***. It struck home. He jumps up yelling "you shot me in the ***". His mom hears him screaming, takes him inside, drops his pants to find a sizeable welt. I got in trouble but I was truly proud of myself for such excellent marksmanship LOL. BTW we stayed friends and he never did that again so I never had to shoot him again LOL :D

The good old days.
Try that now.
Cops, juvenile courts, and counselors would all be
part of this story.

Back