Weber One Touch Gold or Weber One Touch Silver? Which to buy?

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
For those of you with experience using these 2 units, can you suggest one over the other as superior? I already have a gas grill, and I own the WSB 22.5" smoker. Now I want a charcoal grill that I can cook meats, veggies, etc., directly over charcoal and to also use when lighting my chimney to fire up the WSM 22.5.

Recommendations welcome.

Thanks and smoke on! :wsm:

The silver is $5 cheaper and why I have it over the gold

I think it's $50 cheaper (typo), but also lighter and has less gadgets like the thermometer, etc, built in to it. I guess a question I have it can it be used for direct heat cooking of steaks, etc, and indirect heat cooking?

Thanks!

the ash catcher worth every penny, you don't want the ash all over your yard.. so, gold, no doubt!
I believe the gold comes with charcoal baskets but don't quote me on that.

Both will cook the same. It's all about cost for the ash catcher and thermostat which are nice. The silver is much easier to catch on Craigslist but if buying new I would consider OTG ? And I'm not sure if the silver has the side flips on the grate which are a plus

Although I bought my OTG used and paid just under the price of a OTS, if I were buying new I'd go OTG. By the time I add a thermometer, which I probably would do, and a hinged grate, I am about $30 into it and for $20, I get a nice ash catcher and all that. That's all. They perform the same and I think the thermometer is truly optional since I imagine people use probes and such.

They both cook the same but like others have said the ash catcher is worth the extra dollars. I live in a very windy and very fire prone area and had to get rid of my silver because with the open ash catcher the wind would come up and start blowing hot ashes everywhere. With the gold the wind doesn't seem to affect it.
Also I think the flip up grate comes with it which is a nice plus for adding coals with out removing the grill.

If buying new, I would definitely get the OTG. However, in my neck of the woods, I was able to pick up a like new OTS for $20 off of CL and I often see them for around $30-$35. Personally, I would try to find a OTS on CL and use the savings to buy extra stuff and/or meat. While the ash catcher would be nice, it still grills the exact same as the OTS.

I just bought a OTG from Lowe's yesterday, the ash catcher and hinged grate that come with it is worth the extra $50.00. So I'd say go for the OTG.

Grill Gold or Go Home.
I even turned my 18.5 into a gold. To Heck with hot ash and clinkers blowing all over the place.

1) Hinged grate to service the charcoal baskets (extra)

2) Thermometer.....I know, I know.....just tailor your cooking to it....use it as a rough gauge

3) Better ash management system

I definitely prefer the Gold.

I have fostered a few one-touch-silver units to friends, etc. just to switch to OTG.
Like others, I have found that ash bucket is just way too convenient, especially when it's windy.

I had a Silver and upgraded it to Gold by installing a hinged grate, thermometer, and ash catcher.

If I bought new I'd buy the Gold.

I bought the OTG and had a HELL of a time trying to put it together. :mad:

I broke it. No joke. Busted. At least the part that goes around the bottom and holds the ash catcher thingy. The instructions sucked, and I did it wrong. I'm hoping Lowes takes it back and let's me exchange it. I'm so embarrassed....

Back