Weber needs to make one of these!

A well designed, simple to use product, at a popular price point, could do wonders. Have some differentiation with pricier products and roll.

Joe your welcome if I had not seen in your post you wanted the griddle never would have picked up on it till I read the Costco reviews there were a lot of people although they are making it clear now that did not realize the griddle and manifold was not included. Myself could care less about that gonna wait till the end of the season if Walmart or someone else blows them out might get one not sure.

I think I posted about this done elsewhere, but my little Landmann came through again last week. Recteq sent me a nice new igniter, but whether through error in installing, coincidence or maybe something that caused my igniter to fail, now my fan is not working. I have been getting over COVID since this cook, so haven’t had time to address. I am sure Recteq support will get me through.

Anyway, my boss was visiting in the Midwest, and he and a board member came by to work and have lunch. I cooked ribs for them? And with my Recteq still laid up, I drafted the Landmann pellet kettle again. Once again it did GREAT:

99A417E9-0D2F-4CDA-8BA3-77EE24E2688E.jpeg
The 22 inch kettle size is just enough to do 2 or maybe 3 racks.
FDF431AF-EE6C-4677-A8E5-C6FD2A68DF01.jpeg
They tasted very good and my guests chowed down. I really like this odd pellet grill.

Joe your welcome if I had not seen in your post you wanted the griddle never would have picked up on it till I read the Costco reviews there were a lot of people although they are making it clear now that did not realize the griddle and manifold was not included. Myself could care less about that gonna wait till the end of the season if Walmart or someone else blows them out might get one not sure.
I finally did it. I pulled the trigger on the Masterbuilt. It will be the fist brand new grill I have ever purchased. I had a 1988 Sunbeam 2 burner gas grill that was new and I put togethe,r but it was a wedding present. It lasted me 20 years until I found a Weber on the street that a neighbor put out. That Sunbeam went on to another owner. If this works out it will replace my Performer, WSM18, and Razor griddle and I will may eventually get the rotisserie for it. I was close to getting the Spider Venmom for my performer when I got an alert for the Masterbuilt.
1658869638668.png

I finally did it. I pulled the trigger on the Masterbuilt. It will be the fist brand new grill I have ever purchased. I had a 1988 Sunbeam 2 burner gas grill that was new and I put togethe,r but it was a wedding present. It lasted me 20 years until I found a Weber on the street that a neighbor put out. That Sunbeam went on to another owner. If this works out it will replace my Performer, WSM18, and Razor griddle and I will may eventually get the rotisserie for it. I was close to getting the Spider Venmom for my performer when I got an alert for the Masterbuilt.
View attachment 56187
Very much looking forward to a review, Joe!

I am also very interested, Joe!

One suggestion I have is that before you use it that you consider buying the stainless shields offered by some 3rd party providers that will extend the life of the charcoal chute. These seem to be really great cookers but regular use will see the inside of the charcoal chute/hopper deteriorate and even become potentially dangerous.

Here is one. You should look at all that are out there and see what is the best value:

I am also very interested, Joe!

One suggestion I have is that before you use it that you consider buying the stainless shields offered by some 3rd party providers that will extend the life of the charcoal chute. These seem to be really great cookers but regular use will see the inside of the charcoal chute/hopper deteriorate and even become potentially dangerous.

Here is one. You should look at all that are out there and see what is the best value:

Thanks. I have thought of these mods. I have read a few reports that the SS inserts can warp and restrict charcoal flow causing problems. I am not planning on running this over 500°. If I want to sear something, I have the IR burner on my Napoleon which will save a lot of time and charcoal. I tend to "baby" my grills. They are kept covered on a covered screened in porch. There are so many "mods" and accessories that I could double the cost of the grill. Same with the kettle;-) I do like the manifold cover and expanded upper rack you linked to. Once I determine it's a keeper, I will splurge on a cover and rotisserie. The unit is not expected to arrive for a few weeks. Then comes assembly and burn-in. I am really not looking forward to it as if it is a keeper I have to spit polish my 3 grills and sell them, as that was the deal with the Mrs.

Joe, I am another one who will really wants to see your Masterbuilt review I think you need to start a thread on it in the charcoal section.

I disagree with Jon a bit here and agree with you Step 1 learn to cook on it then maybe some mods or you decide to make none. Seems to me this issue of high heat searing or whatever appeals to some but to me the Masterbuilt is not intended to do that you would most likely go broke with charcoal consumption.

Last edited:
Joe, I am another one who will really wants to see your Masterbuilt review I think you need to start a thread on it in the charcoal section.

I disagree with Jon a bit here and agree with you Step 1 learn to cook on it then maybe some mods or you decide to make none. Seems to me this issue of high heat searing or whatever appeals to some but to me the Masterbuilt is not intended to do that you would most likely go broke with charcoal consumption.
Ok - I will start a new thread when it arrives. Did I mention that I am really not looking forward to putting it together and burning it in. It may be a couple of weeks.

This thing keeps on amazing me!

It is my younger son’s birthday today, and steak was on the request list. Even though it was dirty from three cooks, I opted for using my Landmann pellet kettle. One reason is that my wife was not eating with us (colonoscopy tomorrow 😟) so smoke was allowed and the other is that this thing is just plain fun to cook on!

6628231F-B219-4F10-9F69-79C6A20A8BCF.jpeg

I am not saying this is the best way to grill steak, but it is definitely a pretty good option. So, this no-name has been able to do two 12-hour bbq pork shoulders as well as high heat grilling as shown here.

44B3F4EB-0DBF-4810-9CEE-ECB56D2C3D69.jpegE149704A-A811-41D6-8175-03F7131770C4.jpeg

C’mon Weber! We want a WEBER pellet kettle - I know I do at least! :coolkettle:

@LMichaels I hope these help. This thing has its downsides, but the positives are the ability to open the stainless heat deflector to allow more direct heat for high heat grilling and the relatively smaller volume to heat that also, I think, helps with getting to high grilling temperatures.
44A12EAF-4E70-41DC-8B13-788AFE2893FB.jpeg
8EC2A371-63C1-4792-8401-B88F94B63927.jpeg
71BB1857-2331-4CB8-99CD-3A68B93C2D9A.jpeg
E41EC5AD-8C7F-4390-9FC1-E672CE796855.jpeg
0547A5EC-3FBC-4F4D-8DAF-8878D5E4366E.jpeg
A52D1209-CC30-42AE-B9AC-E8917EBDD3F5.jpeg
5EF9C4F7-7590-4466-9C46-97B309AF485C.jpeg

The firepot is directly in the center underneath the round stainless shield. The shield is actually two piece with the top part able to spin to line up the holes allowing some direct fire/heat from down below. I’m the closed position it us just a solid deflector shield. @Rich Dahl has a Camp Chef that has a similar slider just in a more conventional package.

Last edited:
Has anybody here ever seen the inner workings of a Bullseye? I’d be curious to know what might be considered prior art when it comes to pellet “kettles”.

Has anybody here ever seen the inner workings of a Bullseye? I’d be curious to know what might be considered prior art when it comes to pellet “kettles”.
The Bullseye is similar but it has a single heat shield that has openings that you can’t close. The Bullseye does not have a grease drain like my Landmann. It basically relies on grease being incinerated during high heat cooks. For low and slow you are well advised to use a drip pan underneath your food.

My Landmann is not built as well as a Recteq Bullseye. The Bullseye is the same size as a 22” Weber kettle and will interchange grates with it. My Landmann is crazily a half inch too small to accept Weber kettle grates. That was a dumb move on Landmann’s part. So far I am doing fine with the OEM grates. I also have a small set of GrillGrates (sorry!) that will fit on this kettle.

I think a kettle with a Spider 22 pellet attachment would be very similar and offer the best of both charcoal and pellets.

Back