Weber Genesis Rotisserie

How do you guys/gals go about prepping and then placing your meat on the Rotisserie In a small kitchen without making a Kitchen Disaster which makes the "Better Half" somewhat unhappy??

I plan to do my next Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Cook outside on my Weber Performer Deluxe Table.

I do most of it over the sink or on a cutting board next to the sink. Seems to work fine for me for chickens, roasts and smaller cooks. A 14 lb turkey is another matter. I to have a pretty small kitchen to work with.

I do most of it over the sink or on a cutting board next to the sink. Seems to work fine for me for chickens, roasts and smaller cooks. A 14 lb turkey is another matter. I to have a pretty small kitchen to work with.
Bruce: Thanx for quick reply; do you then place your meat on the Spit Rod with the attached Spinning Forks over the Sink?

Yah, either that or I might start it on a cutting board. If you have a cutting board long enough, it can straddle the sink or one side of it provide you with some nice make shift "counter top" space. I usually get the meat on the center skewer that way and then lay the ends of the skewer across the sink to finish positioning the meat with the roto forks. However, after I get a chicken centered and secure on the roto, I usually truss up chickens on the cutting board . I find I need the stability to get the string on the bird correctly.

I assemble mine on a cutting board on top of our 18 cu ft freezer which gives me lots of space. I also filed a small notch in the centre of the spit rod to make it easier to judge when I have the meat centred.

How do you guys/gals go about prepping and then placing your meat on the Rotisserie In a small kitchen without making a Kitchen Disaster which makes the "Better Half" somewhat unhappy??
I do all the prep on a cutting board, including putting the meat on the spit. Take chicken, for example. I set the Briner in the sink, then set the cutting board next to the sink and cover it with paper towels. Lift the bird out of the Briner onto the paper towels and pat it dry. Toss the paper towels, apply whatever rub, and truss the chicken. Finally, mount the bird on the spit. I generally work next to the sink because there's always fluids involved when un-packaging meat.

Instead of using a chopping board, I use a small roasting pan because it contains drippings from ending up on the floor or counter. The same pan is also used for more than one stage of prep/cooking. I start by trussing the chicken on the pan, then with the chicken still on the pan, i insert the spit. I then walk the spit outside with the pan underneath to prevent drippings from ending up on the floor. Followed by using the same pan for catching the drippings while roasting the chicken.

I use a Cookie sheet as well when I am working with messy meats both before and after cooking it. It has high enough edges to contain and juices and run off as well as being low enough to still be able to cut or work with the meat. No worries about juices and stuff running off the cutting board on to the counter or worse yet, the floor.

I use a rimmed baking sheet as well sometimes, for that reason. My cutting board has a small moat that’s usually good enough.

Whem I do a rotiserrie chicken, I usually put a shallow pan with small potatoes underneath it.
When I do the preps, I do the trussing on a cutting board, then put the bitd on the pan with the potatoes. Any rub, seasoning or mess just adds to the taste of the potatoes.

Back