Weber Genesis E310 vs II S345 is it worth upgrading?

BrandonTX

Hey guys. I have a Weber Genesis E310 I purchased this new from lowes around 2015. its been good to me but its time for some new heat deflectors and flavorizor bars. I was looking at the qulimetal ones on amazon. I was also looking at his 9mm grates. but then I seen people picking up at costco the Weber Genesis II S-345. I like this model cause i still want the cabinets and i like that it has the side burner but doubt i would use it. I also like that it has the sear burner. Not sure the sear burner is something i could add to my grill or if it would even be worth it. anyone have any opinions between the 2. Does the sear burner or newer model much different.

Brandon, that is a tough question and one that will draw a lot of differing advice. It mostly comes down to your budget. Clearly without the monetary consideration, I would dump the old beast and grab a brand new shiny one. But, for a couple hundred bucks or so, you could get new 9mm SS Rod grates and flavorizer bars for the old one. Also, it sounds like the new grill has bunch of stuff you likely wouldn't even use which makes it more of a hassle or liability than anything.
My thoughts are that unless the cabinet on the E310 is a rust farm, clean it up and get some premium grates and bars for it and drive on.

Yup, I'm with Bruce...if the E310 is not rusting out then I'd spring for some of RC's hardware. However, if you do want shiny and new then the Costco one is the way to go due to having warranties from Weber and Costco and all the extras that come with it.

Not really any rust from her. The underside of the lid looks like crap. The heat deflectors and flavorizor bars are both starting to rust a bit. I'm really kind of wanting that sear station. I did not know if that one burner makes a difference. I will attach some pics of my grill.

Attachments

• 20200605_195016.jpg
    20200605_195016.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200605_195032.jpg
    20200605_195032.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200605_194211.jpg
    20200605_194211.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200605_195714.jpg
    20200605_195714.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 24
Yup, I'm with Bruce...if the E310 is not rusting out then I'd spring for some of RC's hardware. However, if you do want shiny and new then the Costco one is the way to go due to having warranties from Weber and Costco and all the extras that come with it.
Does the new SS flavor bars heat deflectors and 9mm grates make a big difference? I notice my grill seems to top out about 450-500 if I'm lucky. Didn't know what temps you could get with the sear station.

If you know the thermometer is good and if it's an LP grill I would be also looking for a new regulator. Temps seem a bit low. I will not advise you any further because I dislike all the newer (front control) Genesis grills.

If you know the thermometer is good and if it's an LP grill I would be also looking for a new regulator. Temps seem a bit low. I will not advise you any further because I dislike all the newer (front control) Genesis grills.
I do think it needs a new reg. I notice when tank gets below half it ussually won't even break 300-350.

Why do you not like the newer models? So I guess your opinion would be keep mine?

I just rehabbed my EP330 and am really happy with it. New deflectors, burners and Flavorizer bars, as well as a new regulator/hose. Went w/ the Quilimetal for the bars and deflectors. Put on new knobs as well. A few hours work, but this baby feels brand new. Same color as yours. I honestly don't use the sear burner that much. I say rehab your current grill and use all that money you save at Costco on some Prime steaks.

Before:

1591449230726.jpeg

AFTER:
1591449270807.jpeg

1591449323738.jpeg

1591449342806.jpeg

The issue with the front to back burners (front knobs) is that it is pretty much useless for a rotisserie.

The issue with the front to back burners (front knobs) is that it is pretty much useless for a rotisserie.
ahh okay. I have not got into that yet. I do have 3 other grills a Blackstone air fryer model and 2 Rec tecs. I have the bullseye which is good for hot and fast and then the RT 700 for smoking.

I just rehabbed my EP330 and am really happy with it. New deflectors, burners and Flavorizer bars, as well as a new regulator/hose. Went w/ the Quilimetal for the bars and deflectors. Put on new knobs as well. A few hours work, but this baby feels brand new. Same color as yours. I honestly don't use the sear burner that much. I say rehab your current grill and use all that money you save at Costco on some Prime steaks.

Before:

View attachment 6420

AFTER:
View attachment 6421

View attachment 6422

View attachment 6423
Man that came out great. Is yours the brown color? cant tell from the pics. I kind of want to upgrade for the side burner and sear station but i am not sure id really ever use the side burner. So you do not use the sear station much? What grates are you using and where did you get the new reg from?

Also what is that stainless piece on top of your left 3 bars.,

I do think it needs a new reg. I notice when tank gets below half it ussually won't even break 300-350.

Why do you not like the newer models? So I guess your opinion would be keep mine?
I would definitely check out a new regulator. As for not liking them honestly I would not buy any of the Genesis models with front controls. Makes them just like every other grill. What made the Genesis truly unique and in a class of it's own was not just it was a better overall grill but the EW burner design. It was truly a stroke of genius for Weber back in the 80's when it came out. I think it's why they called it "Genesis". But now imo it's not a Genesis.
Bottom line I would get a regulator. As for going to the newer one (S345) I think that's a conversation you need with your own wallet

I would definitely check out a new regulator. As for not liking them honestly I would not buy any of the Genesis models with front controls. Makes them just like every other grill. What made the Genesis truly unique and in a class of it's own was not just it was a better overall grill but the EW burner design. It was truly a stroke of genius for Weber back in the 80's when it came out. I think it's why they called it "Genesis". But now imo it's not a Genesis.
Bottom line I would get a regulator. As for going to the newer one (S345) I think that's a conversation you need with your own wallet
They money is not the issue. Just wondering if its a better grill or not ya know. I enjoy to grill and cook out allot but have 3 other grills as well so weber is not used allot since i mainly use my smoker. I like to use it to sear and fast meals. I have not had the pleasure of getting the older ones with side burners. This was my first high dollar grill. Do you recommend going with another weber reg or is there better options?

Man that came out great. Is yours the brown color? cant tell from the pics. I kind of want to upgrade for the side burner and sear station but i am not sure id really ever use the side burner. So you do not use the sear station much? What grates are you using and where did you get the new reg from?

Also what is that stainless piece on top of your left 3 bars.,

Yep, mine is brown. I think I got the reg on Amazon (I actually bought it a while back, but just put it on) - went with Weber. That piece is another heat deflector for the sear burner. Here's another pic:

1591451832265.jpeg

As far as grates, this model came with SS grates and I still have those.

Yep, mine is brown. I think I got the reg on Amazon (I actually bought it a while back, but just put it on) - went with Weber. That piece is another heat deflector for the sear burner. Here's another pic:

View attachment 6424

As far as grates, this model came with SS grates and I still have those.
ahh okay so mine dont have that since i dont have the sear burner. What did you use to clean the inside so well. Does the underside of your lid look as bad as mine? nice i have the cast iron grill grates but if i keep it ill upgrade to the SS ones.

The rectangular burners of the newer models are a definite improvement. They give more even heat across the entire grate surface. If you are using mainly using it for hot and fast, you will probably love the new one.

ahh okay so mine dont have that since i dont have the sear burner. What did you use to clean the inside so well. Does the underside of your lid look as bad as mine? nice i have the cast iron grill grates but if i keep it ill upgrade to the SS ones.

I used a metal putty knife to scrape it all down, then wire brushes. It really was pretty easy. I also gently took the wire brush to the underside of the lid. It looked like yours before I did it. Still dirty now, but looks much better. If you wanted to really go nuts with it, I'm sure you could hit it with some EZ Off oven cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B06Y386HKG/tvwb-20

I have a cast iron grate on my kettle, and I love cooking on that. I'd be tempted to stick with that, though the SS is nice.

The rectangular burners of the newer models are a definite improvement. They give more even heat across the entire grate surface. If you are using mainly using it for hot and fast, you will probably love the new one.

This is my low and slow cooker. Weber would just be for hot and fast.

Attachments

• 20200503_133356.jpg
    20200503_133356.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 7
I used a metal putty knife to scrape it all down, then wire brushes. It really was pretty easy. I also gently took the wire brush to the underside of the lid. It looked like yours before I did it. Still dirty now, but looks much better. If you wanted to really go nuts with it, I'm sure you could hit it with some EZ Off oven cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B06Y386HKG/tvwb-20

I have a cast iron grate on my kettle, and I love cooking on that. I'd be tempted to stick with that, though the SS is nice.
I have this little kettle from Rec tec its same size as a weber kettle but its pellets. It can get to like 800 degrees. I do want to upgrade the grates on that with a good set from a weber.

Yah, the front burners are great for hot and fast but if you like to do roti cooking then side to side or east west burners are the way to go. You can still do roti cooking with the front burner grills but results may vary. It sounds like you have a good arsenal for outdoor cooking. The underside of your lid doesn't look too bad. If you have access to a sandblaster then that would really clean up the firebox and lid. If not then scraping the lid with a razor and some oven cleaner and elbow grease for the cookbox should do the trick. I think if you change the regulator, clean up the burners (or get new ones), get some SS bars and grates (recommend RC's hardware) or even getting grillgrates then your grill will cook like new again (or even better).

Back