Weber Genesis 1000 LX and Genesis Silver B... I have them both, now what?

Busty Manchow

Howdy Everybody! I was hoping some of you more "seasoned" (lame pun) Weber folks could advise me on what I can do to get the most out of having both of these grills. Both grills are the 3 burner models, with the Silver B being all stainless. They are both natural gas and work fine. I own a rotisserie for the 1000 as well.

I know people will argue ad nauseam about which is better, but I really want to know if there is any advantage to having both other than my neighbors thinking I have a problem letting things go...

Is there a way to convert the 1000 to a smoker? Please give me a reason to keep both. (And to tell the neighbors when they inevitably ask why I have two grills next to each other)

No advantage to having both. I suggest giving one of them away to @Steve Hoch

But seriously, the 1000 is a better rotisserie grill in that the cook box is deeper and you can spin bigger things and fit a drip pan down in the second row of flav bars.

Both are pretty similar when it comes to grilling.

converting to a smoker? not really, but you can put smoke tubes under the grates on either one and get some good smoke going.

I like Dan's suggestion of using the 1000 as a dedicated roto and smoking grill. Using a smoker box or tin foiled wood chunks you can cook and smoke quite well. I have done several briskets and racks of ribs on my 1000. I also love the rotisserie for chickens, turkeys, or whatever you want to put on the spit. The rotisserie it totally underrated. It keeps your meat nice and moist by continuously and evenly basting it throughout the cook.
Can you do everything on one grill. Sure, but not at the same time. If you do feel the need to let one go, I say keep the 1000.

I've got a Platinum and a 2000.

Blue Grill complete.jpgRed Grill complete 2.jpg

Both turned out nice and I, personally, wouldn't sell either.

When I began this project, figured the only way I'd know which I preferred was to try both. Turns out they are very similar but each has strengths. The Platinum is stainless and, therefore, has a pretty much indestructible frame, which is nice in this Pacific Northwest climate. It gets really hot really fast. The 2000 isn't stainless but I store it on a deck under a roof so it should be fine. It cooks super evenly. Most of the time I prefer to cook on it because it's more than hot enough and heats up more than fast enough. But, truth be told, the Platinum heats more than evenly enough. The difference between them isn't much.

The main reason I wouldn't sell either is that I put so much effort into fixing them up and I like them both so much. My time and effort are worth way more to me than the few hundred dollars someone might pay for one or the other. Friends have offered to buy one, and maybe they'd pay me $1,000, but I wouldn't feel right taking that much and wouldn't let them go for less. I'm happy to help them restore their own grills.

I think you should keep the Silver B and give me your address so I can come get that 1000 out of your way.
What in particular do like about the 1000? I'm guessing you like to restore them. From what I can tell it is just the bigger box and the extra FBs. Am I missing something?

Yah, they are both fine grills. They both have pluses and minuses. One of the negatives on the deep 13 bar fire box is that parts are more expensive and harder to find these days.

While Roy has both grills and the best of both worlds, I chose to combine them into a single grill. I have a SS platinum frame but dropped a 13 bar deep cook box into it.

20210820_140035.jpg

I bought a new 1000 LX in 1998. About 5 years ago I updated it to a 2000 by moving everything to a 2000 frame I picked up. I have to admit that I've gone through over 15 weber gassers and after 22 years the old 1000/2000 LX is still with me all the others are gone except for the E320 Ng which is our summer outside oven.
Like said above for roti work you can't beat a deep box and just as an only grill it's pretty hard to beat.

DSCN2766.JPG

You're not missing anything, the Silver series are fine grills. I just prefer the looks and more solid construction of the 1000's.
^^^^this. We have both grills, too. I like the thermoset tables on our Silver, as well as the enclosed cart for stowing my rotisserie hardware...but esthetically, the 1000s are more visually appealing for me.

One other thing that might be a consideration going forward...OEM and aftermarket parts availability is slowly drying up for the 1000s, so many people have been stockpiling parts when they find them. Curb-finding used 1000s for parts also seems to be disappearing, depending upon location, of course. YMMV. For the moment, both used and new parts availability is better for the Silvers.

As long as you can still get burner tubes and flavorizer bars for them they will live on. Even as it stands now there are really only a few more things you can get for an older Silver compared to a 1000. The big drip tray being one example. The biggest issue I see moving forward is just the lack of availability of the grills themselves. All the places I look for old grills are just full of Silvers with only a 1000 sprinkled in here and there.

As long as you can still get burner tubes and flavorizer bars for them they will live on. Even as it stands now there are really only a few more things you can get for an older Silver compared to a 1000. The big drip tray being one example. The biggest issue I see moving forward is just the lack of availability of the grills themselves. All the places I look for old grills are just full of Silvers with only a 1000 sprinkled in here and there.
Steve, what do you do with them? Just restore and resell? Or do you use them all simultaneously?

I only have two complete grills right now and some extra parts. One of the grills I have is completely restored and way too nice to use. It is what I lovingly refer to as my garage grill. It's a 1998 Platinum series grill that I have owned since new. I also have a 1997 Genesis LX grill on my patio that I use as my main grill. It's in excellent but unrestored condition. I don't restore grills to resell them. I spend way too much time and money when I do work on them because I'm kind of a perfectionist. I probably have about six hours invested in a red lid that I'm working on to put on my outside grill. Why? Because the lid on that grill is almost perfect and I don't want to leave it outside anymore. If I was going to restore them to resell I would concentrate on the Silver B/C models. They are plentiful and cheap to aquire. They are also easier and cheaper to restore than a 1000-5000 model. I'm always on the lookout for another grill though, but it has to be 1000 model.

Back