Weber Genesis 1000 Lid

MHass

Hi everyone,

I have this 1993 Weber Genesis 1000 that I am working on restoring. I just finished sanding the two aluminum side panels and will paint with some high temp grill paint here soon. My question is in regard to the black paint on the inside of these two side panels. It is mostly removed by this point. I was going to sand the interior down to bare aluminum. Is it ok to leave it at bare aluminum or do I have to repaint? I’m cautious about having to paint anything on the interior side of things. Hoping someone who has done one of these restorations can point me in the right direction here. Thanks!

-Mark

Attachments

• IMG_3285.jpeg
    IMG_3285.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3284.jpeg
    IMG_3284.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 17
Like Eric mentioned, everything built up inside the lid (side panels and the porcelain lid itself) is carbon build up.

You can use a razor scraper 🪒 to remove it from the porcelain, and finish the job with some Simple Green cleaner and 0000 Steel Wool.

The inside of the end caps is trickier because of the shape of the cast aluminum, but you can use a wire wheel in your drill or other similar methods.

So I guess the most important take away here would be, do NOT paint anything inside the lid or inside the cookbox.

If you need any further instruction or pictures for reference would be happy to help and if you have any more questions along the way please feel free to ask. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are very happy to help. Also if you would like to share pictures of your restoration I'd appreciate it. Always like to see what other people are doing with their Webers

Bruce beat me to it, take the lid apart. Cleaning the end caps is much easier with them separated. Cleaning the porcelain is also much easier. Razor scrapers are excellent tools for scraping, followed by simple green and 4x0 steel wool. Take your time, going slowly so you get it really well cleaned and ready for painting. Don’t paint the inside, that’s left bare aluminum, it will “season” after a few months of use!

There is a video for cleaning the lid, I think.

Thank you everyone for the responses! I did not know it was bare cast aluminum on the inside, so that is helpful! I will definitely take it apart to make paint the outside of the end caps easier. Do I have to be careful with steal wool and scratching the enamel at all? Anything that’s typically used to polish it? I’ll work on getting some photos to send over of the project as well. Thanks again!

on the porcelain, #0000 steel wool and a good cleaner such as Simple Green. I have used the heavy SS steel wool on the inside of lids and not damaged it. But, stay with the finer stuff to be sure. Make sure you take advantage of a razor scraper as well. I cannot tell you how much effort and time it will save you....and no, you cannot damage the porcelain with those either....I don't think you could if you tried.

As long as you don’t dig in with the points you will be fine, I tend to finish with Windex and 4x0 steel wool, the thing to remember is that the porcelain on a lid is basically glass and can be treated the same way. I have had to resort to some heavy duty razor blade work and have never scratched a lid.
Much easier with the caps off too!

Thanks for the tips everyone! Amazing how well a razor scraper is working. I am looking for a set of grilll grates as well. Does anybody recommend a certain set? I’ve read a lot about Rcplanebuyer but from what I can tell he does not make them anymore.

Back