Weber Genesis 1 untouched!! This is big!!

Nah, leaving it in the box is the worst thing you can do. What if moisture has gotten in to the box over the years? You owe it to the grill to "air it out" Eventually it may just start rusting away in the box. Save that grill!
I agree. Just open the box carefully and note how it all goes back together. If you decide to rebox it you will be ready. If you decide to assemble it, keep the box and everything with it. At some point, you might want to resell. Those will be valuable!

I would either sell it or use it. If I had the space and location, I might even consider using it as a display piece. You can keep it in the box and hope the value of it goes up before you one day do sell it, but in reality, it probably will not gain a whole lot more value than it has now and may even regress if real value due to inflation.
Someone might pay $1000 for it today, but in 1985 money, that is about $400 which is probably what it was sold for new in 1985. So, it really has not increased in value at all over the last 35 years. Keeping it another 10 years in the box probably won't make an appreciable difference.

Man that’s cool. I have no use for unused grills but that would be tough to open and use.

Tim:
So, then what would you do with it? Would you simply store it for another decade or so or would you try to sell it? If so, how much would you take for it?

Tim:
So, then what would you do with it? Would you simply store it for another decade or so or would you try to sell it? If so, how much would you take for it?
I’m not sure. It would be akin to walking into a building and discovering a ‘70 Hemi Plymouth Superbird with 10 miles on it and immaculate. I would love to jump behind the wheel and go rip around in a Hemi ‘bird, but it being so pristine...historically, that stuff just doesn’t happen.

And it’s only like that once. It’s cool but not sure I could open it and use it. It’s been boxed up for 30 years or more

Imagine unboxing that grill and pre-restoring it. Put another coat or two of paint on the frame, replace all hardware with stainless, slap a few coats of spar on the wood, high temp coat the cookbox.

And THEN use it!

Back