Weber Genesis 1 Redhead

Mike.D

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great information on this forum and post my first restore.

I really love the look of the Genesis 1000's and happened to find this one on offerup right down the street for $10
PJK6447.png

got it back to the house and started checking it out. Not bad shape, wasn't much rust aside from the hardware.
WimcOQj.jpeg

tDTWlQ5.jpeg

While i was doing some research, I noticed it didn't really match the other Genesis 1000's I had seen so I checked the serial number and sure enough it's a Genesis 1 (shout out to @Chris Allingham for his Deciphering Old Weber Gas Grill Serial Numbers post).

It's L1 XXXXX, kind of hard to read

vy0tz8K.jpeg

Took it apart (sorry for the boxes, we were moving so it also survived a move). Everything came off really easy except the manifold wing bolts into the firebox. Ended up having to really ease one out and had to drill the other one out that broke off.
CAzKAiU.jpeg

Swapped out the burners, flavorizer bars and grates with Weber burners and rcplanebuyer bars/grates. Also replaced most of the hardware with stainless from McMaster-Carr.

First fire-up
Xs5UtH8.jpeg

SMZNp8s.jpeg

And all put back together
sLbROHR.jpeg

The last piece that I'm at a loss on is how the gas gauge attaches. It came hanging off the scale and it doesn't seem like there's anything to screw into on the frame. Any pointers on what I'd need to attach it?

f86FE0O.jpg

That would go on the right side of the right front leg. There should be a couple matching holes in the leg. In one of your pictures, you can see it hanging there all kind of cock-eyed.

leg.jpg

Mike,
Great find on that Genesis 1.
Regarding that Gas Gauge Bracket-

See here what member G Schafer did with his custom made bracket, you can get an idea just how it attaches from his pics.

Jeff

Nice rescue! Interesting that it has a wire rack on the bottom and a condiment rack? on the side, was this an early model and then switched to wood slats?

Yah, and later on they had wood and/or durawood shelf slats and a wire rack bottom.

Thanks, it was a really enjoyable project!

Sorry, I'm probably just missing something but I'm more wondering what attaches the gas gauge to the frame? There doesn't seem to be threads in the frame to screw it into and as Bruce mentioned, it was just hanging on when I got it so I'm just at a loss on what attaches it to the frame.

I actually did find G Schafer's original post, specifically this comment

and it looks like maybe plastic plugs of some sort? But was hoping to see if there were any suggestions.

I believe they are the same as the two "buttons" that hold this panel on. Take one off and see if you can match it up.

1602815169414.png

Great score! Looks really good and one of my favorites. Is this a keeper or will you be selling?

Nice rescue! Interesting that it has a wire rack on the bottom and a condiment rack? on the side, was this an early model and then switched to wood slats?

The way he has it is how it came originally. The larger models (2-5) did not have that little condiment rack and had wood slats on the bottom. They also had at least one fold-down table.

that is a gorgeous unit. I have never seen a condiment shelf on the side. The control panel is so unique with the line drawn from the ignitor switch to the bottom turn knob. I have the Gen 2 and ended up converting it to full durawood. If the burners are salvageable, I would keep them. They should be non magnetic SS if factory.
Btw, like the idea of putting plastic cups on the left legs.

Thanks, it was a really enjoyable project!

Sorry, I'm probably just missing something but I'm more wondering what attaches the gas gauge to the frame? There doesn't seem to be threads in the frame to screw it into and as Bruce mentioned, it was just hanging on when I got it so I'm just at a loss on what attaches it to the frame.

I actually did find G Schafer's original post, specifically this comment

and it looks like maybe plastic plugs of some sort? But was hoping to see if there were any suggestions.
Those old style fuel gauges were held on with plastic push pins.IMG_20200412_095612019.jpg

That grill looks like the one my wife bought me in '92. Same condiment rack on the right side. Only mine had the newer fuel gauge sticker on the leg, newer control panel and newer style wheels.

Gerry

I think the metal fuel gauge was replaced with the simpler (cheaper 🤨) frame leg decal after the first few years in the late 80’s. The wheel design changed around then or slightly later I think. The old wheels seemed sturdier to me.

I'll be trying those plastic trunk rivets, thanks!

Definitely a keeper. It's about the same age as me which I think is pretty neat. Hope I can keep it going for a while longer.

Where did you get the black control knobs? Did you dye them?
Bruce is right, the early Genesis 1's seem to have had black knobs. Either way, they came that way when I bought it.

Yes the older ones did have small black knobs, but oddly enough the igniter switch cover was light gray.

Back