Weber Emblem Restorations

What Steve said. The brake cleaner is used to clean and prep the badge for painting. It doesn't affect the existing "paint" from my experience. I am not sure what kind of "paint" that weber uses, but it isn't plain old Rustoleum. That stuff is much more robust in both abrasion and chemical resistance. I imagine it is pretty much the same as the stuff they use on their cook boxes and end caps.

I would think a guy could gather up a dozen or more and take them to a media blaster and get them all done for a pretty reasonable price.

What Steve said. The brake cleaner is used to clean and prep the badge for painting. It doesn't affect the existing "paint" from my experience. I am not sure what kind of "paint" that weber uses, but it isn't plain old Rustoleum. That stuff is much more robust in both abrasion and chemical resistance. I imagine it is pretty much the same as the stuff they use on their cook boxes and end caps.

I would think a guy could gather up a dozen or more and take them to a media blaster and get them all done for a pretty reasonable price.
I think the worst thing you can do is to try and remove the paint but not succeed. You will see every speck of the original paint in the new finish. They come out a lot better if you just clean them and repaint.

I agree Steve. I think that textured finish from the original finish is nice too. I have several where the paint is partially gone already and they would look crappy to try to paint over the spotty paint. I would either have them blasted or find some kind or solvent to get the remaining paint off them.

I have a bunch of them, and ones that have spent a lot of time in the sun, blast clean really nicely. Other ones that are darker black, are a pain in the arse.

Wow! I wanted to try that on my CharQ, but my artistic ability isn’t up to it. Did you paint the logo or did you sand off the red?
I sanded off the red. It was actually not terrible. I used SUPER wide painters tape around the edges of the rectangular area,3 layers deep just in case i got it. Then I used a cordless square palm sander to slowly sand it down, being careful around the edges just in case. I'll clear it tomorrow and see how it looks then. So far, I really like it

Back