Weber Coconut Shell Charcoal

Have you (or Weber) have any thoughts on an all SS kettle?
I guess my question back to you would be "What is your upper limit that you'd be willing to pay for an all SS kettle, and what are you getting out of it?".

I think an all SS Kettle would be amazing to look at, but what are you really getting by making one out of a more expensive material? Our porcelain enamel kettles can already last decades, so it's hard to make the case for longevity on a more highly priced material when the one we have already has the potential to last for at least 10 years, possibly much longer.

I've seen a SS Kettle here at Weber HQ. It was made for one of our very long time top executives. Someone who's been with the company since my parents were toddlers. It's a truly beautiful kettle, but I wonder what would happen once it's out in the wild. Would it get covered in the sorts of irreversible scratches that plague SS parts? Would we end up sending out expensive replacement lids and bowls all day long because someone paid a hefty price for a SS Kettle and they incorrectly assume that stainless steel = stainproof steel, as well as the aforementioned possibility of scratching the surface? A porcelain enameled lid is virtually scratch proof and rust proof....unless you're trying REALLY hard to make a scratch or damage the porcelain, or it gets damaged by external forces.

Last edited:
Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack the conversation with color kettle talk, but I will take submissions into consideration! :)
That’s dangerous on here…..

A meat cut and Westerner reboot are tops, I’d love to see this myself:
AFB886B7-B0E7-439E-B666-A97D1058C005.jpeg
Taken at the Weber Grill in Indianapolis when I went to get my Sequoia, 3000 miles in three days

I guess my question back to you would be "What is your upper limit that you'd be willing to pay for an all SS kettle, and what are you getting out of it?".

I think an all SS Kettle would be amazing to look at, but what are you really getting by making one out of a more expensive material? Our porcelain enamel kettles can already last decades, so it's hard to make the case for longevity on a more highly priced material when the one we have already has the potential to last for at least 10 years, possibly much longer.
I'm not in the market, ( I have/had 6 blackies) just curious if you guys ever discussed it.

Soooo....

It's a complex situation, and while I have no info that I'm at liberty to share right now, we haven't given up on a Weber briquette offering for the US. Good things come to those that wait. ;)

As for colors, the US now has the widest range of color options in the world. The pendulum has swung and now Europe has very few color offerings.

For comparison...

US:
Smokey Joe Premium - Slate, Smoke, Ivory, Spring Green, Crimson
22" Original Kettle - Slate (True Value exclusive)
22" Original Kettle Premium - Indigo (Ace Hardware exclusive), Copper, Green, Crimson (Co-op exclusive)
22" Master-Touch - Slate, Smoke, Ivory, Spring Green, Deep Ocean Blue, Burnt Orange (Weber.com exclusive), Fog Gray (Weber.com exclusive)
70th Anniversary Kettle - Hot Rod Yellow, Rock N Roll Blue, Diner Green, Hollywood Gray
Performer Deluxe - Slate (Crate & Barrel exclusive), Copper, Green, Crimson (Co-op exclusive)

Europe:
Smokey Joe Premium - Slate, Smoke, Ivory, Spring Green, Crimson
Master-Touch C-5750 - Slate, Smoke, Deep Ocean Blue
70th Anniversary Kettle - Hollywood Gray
John,

I do think that Weber has done a LOT to make amends for the days gone by when our European friends could get cool colors that we could not. The choices now are a HUGE improvement. I wish I had more space, a bigger budget, and an understanding spouse. Nonetheless, I hope to get in on at least one more of the really new colors someday. I love my Ace Indigo which I think looks better than any of the dark blue shades. Ivory and Hot Rod Yellow would top my wish list.

Please put in a word in for bringing back an Avocado!

John,

I do think that Weber has done a LOT to make amends for the days gone by when our European friends could get cool colors that we could not. The choices now are a HUGE improvement. I wish I had more space, a bigger budget, and an understanding spouse. Nonetheless, I hope to get in on at least one more of the really new colors someday. I love my Ace Indigo which I think looks better than any of the dark blue shades. Ivory and Hot Rod Yellow would top my wish list.

Please put in a word in for bringing back an Avocado!
Yeah, we've really done a lot to expand the color assortment here in the Americas region. Europe meanwhile has shied away from taking a lot of the current colors available. Regional demand tends to always be the major factor in assortments. I'm glad you love your Indigo kettle! Bringing that kettle to life was one of my projects back in 2020. We've toyed with bringing back Avocado. There's nothing currently in the works, but I wouldn't rule it out!

I am a “basic black and pearls” kind of guy so, colors aren’t a big deal for me. The thing is the charcoal, especially the coconut stock is interesting as well as some of the attachments.
Do you have any “shareable” insight on any of that, John?

I am a “basic black and pearls” kind of guy so, colors aren’t a big deal for me. The thing is the charcoal, especially the coconut stock is interesting as well as some of the attachments.
There's certainly nothing wrong with a classic black kettle! I'll be honest, I haven't had a chance to use our coconut briquettes yet. But let me see if I can scrounge up a bag and fire some up and report back.

John - I desperately need a redhead Summit Kamado. Bring the most legendary weber color, to the best charcoal grill Weber has made!
Hey Ross! Making that bright "Weber" red requires the use of cadmium in the enamel formula, and since around the year 2000 there have been strong regulations related to hazardous waste disposal associated with byproducts of using enamel formulas containing cadmium. Long story short, if we wanted to make a Summit Kamado in Weber Red we would have to make it in China, and I would very much prefer to keep Summit Kamado production in Huntley, Illinois. We could do almost any other color here though!

My pretty “Baby”.

Attachments

• E6EDBE99-F2F1-46F4-938A-430EFA23374D.jpeg
    E6EDBE99-F2F1-46F4-938A-430EFA23374D.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 3
Hey Ross! Making that bright "Weber" red requires the use of cadmium in the enamel formula, and since around the year 2000 there have been strong regulations related to hazardous waste disposal associated with byproducts of using enamel formulas containing cadmium. Long story short, if we wanted to make a Summit Kamado in Weber Red we would have to make it in China, and I would very much prefer to keep Summit Kamado production in Huntley, Illinois. We could do almost any other color here though!

John - I'll settle for Crimson. If I'm honest I'll buy literally any color WSK and sell my black one! Please make a color. The WSK lineup needs it. I'm down the street in Aurora let me know if I can come to Huntley and advise :ROFLMAO:.

John - I'll settle for Crimson. If I'm honest I'll buy literally any color WSK and sell my black one! Please make a color. The WSK lineup needs it. I'm down the street in Aurora let me know if I can come to Huntley and advise :ROFLMAO:.
We once made a prototype in Crimson years ago and it did look beautiful! It was just an experiment though, and obviously never went into production. I think we'll probably see a color WSK appear someday, but nothing is set in stone at this point. I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind next time we revisit a WSK refresh!

FOGO just released briquettes made from coconut shells. https://www.fogocharcoal.com/products/fogo-briquets

I nice video by Kenyatta with the FOGO compared to 4 others (Kingsford, B&B, JD, and Royal Oak). I don't necessarily agree with his rankings, but interesting nonetheless. My go-to LAS has been B&B but the twine found in the other thread has me concerned about their new ownership group and quality. https://tvwbb.com/threads/poly-twine-in-b-b-charcoal.96114/

Years ago, 30+ or so, I ran across some extruded coconut charcoal at a local Building 19 location. Found it interesting enough to purchase a couple of boxes. Building 19 was a retail store where "things go to die", they would purchase odd lots, overruns, bankruptcies etc.

Great stuff. Next to impossible to light but once got going it lasted for a good long time. I did a couple of low smoke fresh caught trout cooks, some butts, etc.

Was never able to find it there again, or anywhere locally.

I've seen this used at Hibachi restaurants for tabletop grills. Burns hot, burns long.

Naked Whiz has some good reviews on like products.

Amazon has more than a couple of offerings. Here's one :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3LTLEI/?tag=tvwb-20

Chris, do your magic on the URL so that TVWBB can get some love if there are any purchasers.

Back