Weber Charcoal Chimney

Steve Forwe

TVWBB Fan
I remeber a post someone did, I think it was Bryan, about flipping the screen over so the cone is down instaed of up when lighting small amounts of fuel. How can you do that with out bending the crap out of the screen.

flip it upside down and fill the small side with coals and light it from the side you would normally light the charcoal

there was a suggestion to do that. i have two weber chimneys so i did flip over one of them. easy to do. now i can start any amount i need easily and still use starter cubes. it will easily start a full amount also.

Weber FireStarter cubes are hot enough to start the charcoal even when the chimney is upside down. No problem.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by george curtis:
there was a suggestion to do that. i have two weber chimneys so i did flip over one of them. easy to do. now i can start any amount i need easily and still use starter cubes. it will easily start a full amount also.

You flipped the screen, or the entire chimney?

Steve, there was a post that someone had flipped the screen in the chimney, shows a picture of it after being flipped.Also recalled someone else had the store to flip his. Search for modified weber chimney and you'll see it.

That would be me. That conversation was probably a couple or three years ago and might have been in the Just Conversation forum and would have been deleted by this time.

I couldn't budge the clips on my Weber chimney's screen so I told the salesperson at the hardware store that I'd buy the chimney if he would flip the screen for me, which he did. And I did.

Rita

Yep, took the grate out of the chimney and turned it upside down. I use the side burner of the gasser so just turning the chimney and using the bottom for lighting small amounts of charcoal doesn't work for me. Yes I have a pic of it here somewhere here.

By the way, when I visited Weber and did a Minion Method start in the 22" WSM, I flipped over the chimney to light about 40 briquettes. They were like, "What?". It's always interesting to see how people use products in ways never thought of or intended by the designer.

Originally posted by george curtis:
steve, i flipped the screen. now i got all kinds of options.
What type of options? I mean, I can use mine top or bottom, and it lights enough coals to start my smoker...what am I missing by not having a 2nd chimney and and spending the time to flip the screen?

Maybe I'm missing something, or just don't need more options...
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Alan D:
What type of options? I mean, I can use mine top or bottom, and it lights enough coals to start my smoker...what am I missing by not having a 2nd chimney and and spending the time to flip the screen?

Maybe I'm missing something, or just don't need more options...
icon_smile.gif
1) Main reason for me was the side burner on the gasser. After flipping it, it puts it nice and close to the flame.
2) Can use a small amount of coals in there for the MM. They funnel towards the center. See above for lighting method.
3) The chimney holds more charcoal now.

Chimney.jpg

Bryan,

I can see the value in more charcoal, but it seems I rarely use very much, certainly if I'm using the stoker. I've always used a semi-minion in the kettle, adding some unlit before I add the hot coals, since lump burns up faster.

Reminds me, I lit a chimney of what was left in the kettle, lit the paper, went back in 20 minutes and it was all burned up and gone...I had to start some fresh...
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll check above for lighting info, I don't see it at first glance...

What's on the smoker/grill for 'ya for this weekend? I'm heading out in search of meat...I have a tri-tip I'm defrosting so I can marinade overnight. Think I'll pick up some wings, and try them on the kettle. I have friends coming over next week for some 'que, gonna do a pork shoulder and ribs. Since ribs usually disappear quickly, a pork shoulder seems like good insurance in case folks are scarfin' it up quick...
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll check above for lighting info, I don't see it at first glance...

What's on the smoker/grill for 'ya for this weekend?
Lighting info I mean right above as in 3 lines above, 1). Flipping the grate put the charcaol alot closer to the side burner, lights much better than with the grate in the original position.

Cooking nothing, Tropical Storm Hanna is passing over us now. I had planned on Tri Tip and Roadside Chicken but. Looks like BK again.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Steve Forwe:
Ok. Now I know it has been done. How did you do it without bending up screen?
It's easier to bend the chimney than the screen. Cause that's not screen Bud, that's cold rolled steel.
icon_wink.gif
It's a work out, Got pry-bars? Make sure no young kids are within ear shot as well.
icon_redface.gif

I have friends coming over next week for some 'que, gonna do a pork shoulder and ribs. Since ribs usually disappear quickly, a pork shoulder seems like good insurance in case folks are scarfin' it up quick...
icon_biggrin.gif
I know what you mean about the ribs. I just serve a few racks as appetizers now.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Cooking nothing, Tropical Storm Hanna is passing over us now. I had planned on Tri Tip and Roadside Chicken but. Looks like BK again.
Saying bye to Hanna now so it's RIBEYES!!! Have fun with the rain.
icon_wink.gif

Back