Weber are Geniuses

John-NY

TVWBB Super Fan
I was bored so I started looking over the Genesis 1000 Parts Diagram. What a life, eh?

I noticed the thermometer was actually referred to as a 'Dual Purpose Thermometer'.

It took me a second, and then I thought:
"...no way...is that what I think it means??"

Sure enough:

1657721592297.png

Pop it out of its little cradle, and jam it in some meat.
Amazing.

I know Weber was trying to be creative with this removable. "dual-purpose" thermometer, but I never have used it and find the idea not very appealing. After any amount of grilling, those thermometers pick up a lot of soot and grease. Not only would you have to work hard to clean a very hot thermometer, but in today's day of incredibly cheap INSTANT READ thermometers, I don't think I would have the patience to wait for this much slower one to home in on the temperature of my food.

I guess that's why Weber gave this up in later Genesis (and higher end kettle) grills.

Maybe back 30 years ago that would have been acceptable, but now with even a cheapo digital thermometer, you can get much quicker and certainly more accurate readings.

My '99 SSP has that thermo. Still works correctly too. I don't use it for food though, but I like that I can pull it out and use one of the IGrill2 probes in it for monitoring dome temp from my phone. And, I've used the thermo for my Go Anywhere grills at times for grill temp right through the vents.

1657741321037.png

Yep, definitely a cool idea with merit. It’s not overly difficult to clean it after every cook, then you don’t have build up during a cook and no complaints.

The only reason I've had to replace one is when they fill up with water (happened a couple of times) Pulling them out once in a while and cleaning them up with fine steel wool keeps them looking and working well almost indefinitely. Oh, here's another detail that most people may miss when shopping for a new thermometer. Most of the ones you find on eBay are aftermarket and don't work/ hold up as well as a Weber. They are all usually about the same price so may as well get an original. Here's how you can tell the difference. Screenshot_20220713-232350_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20220713-231821_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Many many years ago when I had first gotten my Genesis. I too thought it was genius putting a dual purpose thermometer there. Until one day when I not thinking attempted to actually "use" it. I had been grilling and decided to use it. So I grabbed it. The imprint of it's shape was burned into my fingers for quite some time. And it was nearly 6 mos before I could finger pick my guitars again. It stayed on the grill forever after that.

Same approach on the first edition Summit gas grills, but a different thermometer with a larger dial and shorter, thicker stem. Still working great after 20 years.

View attachment 55181

View attachment 55182
As far as I know, those old Summit thermometers are sadly extinct. You can get one with the same diameter, but it won’t have the longer probe that reaches into the grill, and therefore isn’t going to get a very good reading.

Chris, you are blessed by your mild California climate but also the great care you have given your beautiful Summit. It’s pretty cool that your thermometer is still chugging along!

Back