Weber 63050 wheels discontinued, now what?

Steve Hoch

TVWBB Honor Circle
So now that you can't get the old style 8" wheel from Weber anymore, what's everybody doing to make their existing wheels nice enough for a restoration. I know you can get the white wall replacements, but what about the black wheel itself? Has anyone painted them or done something else besides cleaning them to make them look sharp again?

Some comments from members on how they restore the black wheels...from this thread you participated in back in 2021! ;)

Thanks Chris, I did pick up a couple of things by rereading. Back then, I would just buy new wheels for myself.

My first reaction is that someone will likely 3D print them, but that will take a fair amount of time to print and consume a significant amount of filament...but it will open the door to some potential improvements and customization. At least this is something that can be made at home by somebody!

I made this little Weber daisy wheel coaster out of wood with my MPCNC.

1717817462805.png

My first reaction is that someone will likely 3D print them, but that will take a fair amount of time to print and consume a significant amount of filament...but it will open the door to some potential improvements and customization. At least this is something that can be made at home by somebody!

I made this little Weber daisy wheel coaster out of wood with my MPCNC.

View attachment 92833
That's pretty cool Ed, now make me some new wheels!😁

That's pretty cool Ed, now make me some new wheels!😁
That guy that sells the whitewalls, Chuck, I'll bet he will make them to sell at some point. Not only that, but there is an abundance of used grills available to supply the market for free or for minimal expense. My current fun project is building a T-Scann 8, an DIY 8mm/Super8 film scanner to digitize some home movies left to us by my wife's folks.

That guy that sells the whitewalls, Chuck, I'll bet he will make them to sell at some point. Not only that, but there is an abundance of used grills available to supply the market
For me anyway, my interest in restoring these old grills has already been hampered by a lack of replacement parts over the last few years. I just don't want to spend all the time it takes to make one really nice again if I can't get decent, nice looking parts. Over the last few years I think I have seen every way a Genesis 1-5000 can fail. They were and are remarkable grills, but even they can't last forever.

My current fun project is building a T-Scann 8, an DIY 8mm/Super8 film scanner to digitize some home movies left to us by my wife's folks.
That does sound interesting, and a lot cleaner than what I've been doing all day.

Rattle can them ?
Maybe? I have four wheels soaking in my kitchen sink right now. The white walls are trashed, so I'm sure I'll have to lay down for Chuck's inserts at least. I'm going to scrub them down and run them through the dishwasher. I'm hoping I will end up with two nice looking ones for this grill.

I've been able to score maybe 2 new 8 inch wheels from eBay.
All the others I just wash them good and spray them with ArmorAll tire shine, good enough for a flipper grill.
Hopping the white walls are fairly decent.
On my keeper grills, new white walls a must.1000007070.jpg

These wheels are about 10 years old, and letters were falling out of white walls. I wanted to see Chuck's 3D printed inserts, as my brother has a big multi-color printer and was thinking of solid raised lettering vs the delicate cutouts that collect dirt and crack.
  1. Cleaned with simple green. Tried Meguires plastic polish, and had Zero improvement. I think the plastic is too soft to polish and was not going to spend too much time as this will be back in service as a daily driver as it has for 27 years.
  2. Cerakote 1 wipe did all my plastic. It helps the wheels, but smooth plastic like the push button Wow the shine from the ceramic coating.
  3. White walls from Chuck installed. They fit super well and snapped right in and love the reflective sparkle surface. I was impressed with his white walls.

Cleaned.jpgCeracote.jpgFinal.jpg

Metal yard 3/8" stainless axle and 1/4" hinge rod for side table was $6.00 cut and chamfered to size. Installing these tomorrow.

Those look pretty good. I've got some wheels that I'm experimenting on now to rehydrate the plastic with some Gibbs penetrant because I have it on hand and use pretty often while working on a grill. I will probably get Chuck's inserts as well. As for the axle, I just put the old one in my drill and wrap sandpaper around it and go until it's nice and shiny again. Then I spray paint it with clear coat to keep it shiny.

These wheels are about 10 years old, and letters were falling out of white walls. I wanted to see Chuck's 3D printed inserts, as my brother has a big multi-color printer and was thinking of solid raised lettering vs the delicate cutouts that collect dirt and crack.
  1. Cleaned with simple green. Tried Meguires plastic polish, and had Zero improvement. I think the plastic is too soft to polish and was not going to spend too much time as this will be back in service as a daily driver as it has for 27 years.
  2. Cerakote 1 wipe did all my plastic. It helps the wheels, but smooth plastic like the push button Wow the shine from the ceramic coating.
  3. White walls from Chuck installed. They fit super well and snapped right in and love the reflective sparkle surface. I was impressed with his white walls.

View attachment 93197View attachment 93198View attachment 93200

Metal yard 3/8" stainless axle and 1/4" hinge rod for side table was $6.00 cut and chamfered to size. Installing these tomorrow.
I'm a huge fan of that cerakote, works wonderfully. Looking good

View attachment 93197View attachment 93198View attachment 93200

What does a set of the inserts go for? I was considering making the rod for the tables out of stainless...

Back