Weber 1200 NG to LPG

If it is off that much at 212, it could easily be off 50 or more at 500. But, also, these thermometers only measure the temp where they are placed. If you really want to know what your grill is cooking meat at, you need a grate level thermometer. I think if you place one at grate level, you will find temps to be significantly higher than just inside the left side of the lid.
Really, the lid thermometers are best used as an indication of the temp and whether it is rising or falling. You should consider a remote thermometer if you want to get more accurate cooking temps.

If it is off that much at 212, it could easily be off 50 or more at 500. But, also, these thermometers only measure the temp where they are placed. If you really want to know what your grill is cooking meat at, you need a grate level thermometer. I think if you place one at grate level, you will find temps to be significantly higher than just inside the left side of the lid.
Really, the lid thermometers are best used as an indication of the temp and whether it is rising or falling. You should consider a remote thermometer if you want to get more accurate cooking temps.
Truth be told I’m not that motivates by an accurate temp. Directional is okay for me. I’ve done 4 cooks on the bbq. Steak, burger x2, chicken breast. And now 5 with the bread. All have turned out well.

and the handle got hot at very high temps for long cook (bake). Maybe all is okay. It’s the first time I used the wood handle, so maybe being sensitive.

$20 delivered by grillspot.ca

Sound good Mike. There is a whole lot of great grilling going on out there with nothing but a lid thermometer. And some don't even look at the thermometer when grilling.

Hell my Wolf does not even have a thermo. Hard to believe for a grill that was close to $10k for the "head" alone and $3k for the cart. Never missed it BTW. Even if your Genesis thermo is off a few % IMO it seems WAY too hot for "low" settings

Hell my Wolf does not even have a thermo. Hard to believe for a grill that was close to $10k for the "head" alone and $3k for the cart. Never missed it BTW. Even if your Genesis thermo is off a few % IMO it seems WAY too hot for "low" settings
Any advice on what to check? Orifice photo attached. Looks the same size as an extra propane manifold I have.

Re:rust on manifold - how to safely paint this without getting on to brass? I will aggressively sand.

I also realize that if I’m going to keep baking bread, (which was amazing) I do need an accurate reading. Suggestion for a particular model/style?F19900A3-2173-4516-9889-00AFFD84997A.jpeg

0C9315DD-AE9C-4ABC-A908-D1377E5F7502.jpeg

The THermoworks Smoke remote thermometer has two probes. One for measuring the inside of the grill temp at food level and one probe for tracking the temp of the meat or whatever you are cooking. They are extremely accurate and you don't have to open the lid to monitor temps. They come with a local display and a remote display that you can take in the house with you to track temps on both probes and they have temp ranges you can set where you will get an alarm if temps stray outside that range.

They have other more expensive solution with longer range, and all that but this is all most people would need. This unit is used by a lot of competition BBQ teams. You can almost always get them for about 20% off as they run specials quite often.

The THermoworks Smoke remote thermometer has two probes. One for measuring the inside of the grill temp at food level and one probe for tracking the temp of the meat or whatever you are cooking. They are extremely accurate and you don't have to open the lid to monitor temps. They come with a local display and a remote display that you can take in the house with you to track temps on both probes and they have temp ranges you can set where you will get an alarm if temps stray outside that range.

They have other more expensive solution with longer range, and all that but this is all most people would need. This unit is used by a lot of competition BBQ teams. You can almost always get them for about 20% off as they run specials quite often.

Thanks Bruce. I don't know if I need something so hi-tech. It'll also be (as always) more expensive in Canada.

In past threads it seems that you don't advocate for painting the manifolds, and the how-to doesn't talk about it. Am I best to just leave it be?

And do you agree the orifices look as they should?

MT

The issue is most likely NOT the orifices. My guess is either a regulator allowing too high of pressure, or a manifold that is not truly an LP manifold but a NG one someone threw some smaller orifices on thinking it's a "conversion"

OH, I have nothing against painting manifold except that they don't really add a lot to the look of a rehab. As long as the rust is just surface rust, it would likely be decades before it got bad enough to affect the operation of the grill. If you want to sand/grind all the rust and repaint it, there is nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you don't get paint or particles on the valves while doing so. Use some painters tape and plastic to cover the valves.

I am not sure what you are asking regarding the orifices. If you are talking about the size, then that is pretty tough to judge from a picture.

Thing is Bruce the orifices have no real bearing on low/med settings. They only limit max flow. You could literally run them with no orifice if you never went above med heat

The issue is most likely NOT the orifices. My guess is either a regulator allowing too high of pressure, or a manifold that is not truly an LP manifold but a NG one someone threw some smaller orifices on thinking it's a "conversion"

I sold the other regulator I had with the grill, so can't test regulator that way. It has been out of use for a long time in my shed, no idea what grill it came out of.

The serial number ties into an LP grill. The valves/jets on the manifold are L264. The NG manifold (on grill I am delivering tomorrow!) valves/jets are L264F.

I'll do the hand heat test which is vague but may provide some insight especially in light of the thermometer being inaccurate.

edit my neighbour has a newer Weber. Centre thermometer I think. Is the regulator compatible if I borrow it? Looks like front knobs no, side knobs yes.

MT

Last edited:
I honestly don't know. Some of them only have a 1/8" NPT nipple on the manifold and some have a 1/8" NPT male to 3/8" flare male

You typically want to apply some type of rust reformer over it and then apply the paint. Spraying over rust typically won’t stick well

Can not really read it and the specifics on the reading would be helpful. Where was the thermometer? How long had the grill been on? What temp were the valves set at?

Can not really read it and the specifics on the reading would be helpful. Where was the thermometer? How long had the grill been on? What temp were the valves set at?
Sorry! I just got the thermometer. The “tester” would have been more accurate. Will test today.

Yeah if that thing had just come out of the grill and held with bare hands.............................OUCH

Centre of grill, thermometer resting on grate, so temp is slightly above grate level.

Low = 400 Weber=425
Medium = 525 Weber=500
High = 575ish Weber=550

Does this range seem reasonable? I can get lower by using 1-2 burners.

For reference it’s 15C outside vs close to 30C when I got the hot handle, which I didn’t get today. The sound from the tank varied a bit, sometimes louder sometimes quieter. I’ve never paid attention in the past to see if this is ‘normal’.

Clearly the thermometer is garbage. Useful only vaguely directionally even. Lee Valley sells a manual grill level thermometer.

Last edited:

Back