Water, weather, rain protection/resistance/proofing solutions

BrunoBronosky

Please forgive the title. I'm trying to make this come up for waterproofing, weatherproofing, and rainproofing searches. The reason is that I cannot find the original post that inspired me. That post had a picture of a container with a gasketed lid with a hole bored in it and a PVC elbow glued to it to keep water from running into it via gravity.

What I choose to do was order a set of cereal storage containers and hot glue (yes I use it for everything) a magnet to it. I glued another magnet to the back of the HeaterMeter.

5C173D33-EDDF-45B2-9F62-A376ECA92E20.png
17B831CE-B182-472D-A2B7-F516547FD747.jpeg
2FB10160-572C-4C0B-BD80-6D8CCB9018BD.jpeg
88A2B50D-AAEB-403F-AB31-FA0A75FBF148.jpeg
Please post you solutions here so we can have a single thread with all the ideas in one place. Link to other threads that have good answers, and link here from other threads that have questions but no great answers.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Other threads I've found…
(This is the original thread I found but couldn't find to reply to)
(An idea about waterproofing the PCB, but I think this is difficult with the micoSD and GPIO headers.)
(Another storage tub idea.)

Blower specific…

Last edited:
My solution is running the blower, servo and all probes through the CAT5 cable so the HM can be located some distance (about 50Ft max) from the grill, this way you can keep the HM out of the elements. I have mine permanently wired to my kamado via CAT5 cable that runs into my kitchen, I never have to worry about rain or sun or whatever.... bonus, I don't have to break things down after a cook when I would rather be eating, and the HM functions as an outdoor thermometer when I am not cooking...

I'm not sure if this counts, but I messed around today with 3D printing some (flexible) TPU button covers. I had to widen the button holes in the case by 0.8mm diameter and the case seems a little too small now in height from the extra thickness, but it does close without forcing it too much. The TPU I have is really hard to push even at 1x 0.5mm wall, and I think it is actually squishing sideways rather than collapsing like an accordion. If silicone was added to seal the flexible button sheet it probably wouldn't fit any more, and the way the sheet flexes when you push it I'd be dubious of the silicone holding, but I'm wondering if that's even necessary because the TPU makes a decent fit in the hole. It would probably keep water out as long as you don't push the button when water is present.

You can also see that I cut a piece of clear plastic off some packaging material that can be glued into the LCD window to keep water out there. These combined with the new LED pillars that seal better might be enough to protect against light rain entering from the top.
DSC07206.JPG

Quite frankly.... The only button I use once I get mine started is the one to put it in/out lid open mode. Everything else gets done from my phone. I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that I don't need to push the buttons.

And, that simply putting it inside a small pelican case , and running the wires through a squishy foam rubber seal would be plenty good. Open it if need to..... But really... don't need to

Back