Where does your HM live during a cook

Todd E.

TVWBB Member
Almost done (again) and should be Heater Metering for my next cook. Where do you all have your HM during the cook. I have an 18.5 WSM and usually just hang my ET-73 on the lid lip or sit it on a table beside the smoker. Any elegant solutions out there suitable for this temp controller?

Todd

Not elegant, but it sits on a wooden box or anything else that is available. Later this year I am building an BBQing area in the rear of the yard. SWMBO has spoken. I actually think it will be better. When that happens, there will be different table area's for the HM to reside.

I currently hang my maverick on the shelf of the BGE (getting ready to order my HM). I thought about building some sort of weather shield for the HM. It would be sweet to build a case that is IP7 waterproof rated....obviously someone smarter than me. :)

I currently hang my maverick on the shelf of the BGE (getting ready to order my HM). I thought about building some sort of weather shield for the HM. It would be sweet to build a case that is IP7 waterproof rated....obviously someone smarter than me. :)

I'm thinking if there are any chance of storms on the horizon while I smoke I may try just encasing the HM within a plastic baggie. $0.02 IP7 temporary waterproofing? I'm just finishing my first build and protection from the weather has been at the back of my mind for a while.

With the threat of a snow storm and freezing rain last weekend, I whipped up this little tupperware style holder. I cut a couple of small holes in the bottom to get the cables in. Since it was kind of cramped, I used a small piece of electrical tape to keep the thermoworks probes firmly connected.

My heatermeter normally lives in this same location when using it, but unprotected during normal weather conditions.

K6JuyZtl.jpg

Last edited:
Mine sits on an end table beside my Lazy Boy in the house. It is connected to my Blower/Servo and probes by a Cat5 cable. I live in the cold and snowy north so I don't know if it's worth it to you in NC. But rain,sleet and snow is no issue for me.

Heatermeter_zpsac7b1dd2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back