Heater Meter Waterproofing Ideas

MKader

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

I am new to the forum (though have been lurking for a while) and will hopefully be ordering parts for a HeaterMeter soon to attach to my Big Green Egg.

I have seen that people are going to great lengths to come up with a weather proof HM design. What I was wondering, is if it would be possible to ditch the display, and button for the ability to have a completely self contained HM controlled entirely through the web interface. You could use the LEDs to make sure everything is okay, but perform all controls through the web. This would allow for a truly waterproof box to be designed.

The next would be to create a waterproof connection. I am spending some time learning about thermistors, and am not sure if you would mess up your coefficients by splicing the wire into a waterproof connection at the box.

Additionally, I am hoping to run the system on battery only (maybe with solar recharge). For my setup I could practically afford to use a car battery without a weight issue.

I hope to be able to learn a lot and eventually be cooking stress free!

PS - As of 10/11/2013 Newegg has the Edimax EW-7811UN for $4.99 after a mail in rebate!

Matt and I were chatting about this yesterday. If you can live without the display, button, and LEDs you can really cut down the number of holes in your case, making it that much more waterproof. If you want to keep the LEDs, you can use lightpipes that are completely watertight to pipe light up from the LEDs to the surface of the case. If you want to keep the display and button, rubber gaskets would need to be found. Any ports in use would need rubber gaskets too.

Welcome to the forum.... funny you should mention it, cause I was just thinking about a battery system with a solar recharge the other day.

If you're shooting for a completely waterproof setup and plan to use the web interface and space/style isn't an issue then perhaps just use one of those weatherproof electrical boxes that are made to house timers etc and put the HM inside that? You could put the whole HM inside one so you could still use the display and button if you wanted (if you get one with the clear front that opens) You could open up the box and stow the probes in there to keep them dry between cooks, this seems like one of the better ways to go...

I've been advocating for a split system where the pit hardware is minimal but it would have a wireless connection to the main HM with the rPi and display etc (control/reporting unit) but so far none of the guys that would have to do the work to make that happen are interested... LOL The idea was to make it so the hardware could remain out at the grill all the time in some sort of weatherproof case, it was in this scenario where I was thinking a battery with solar charger would be nice. The hardware that stays out at the grill wouldn't have a display or button, but it would be nice to make a module with a display and button you could plug in at the grill if you wanted/weather permitting.

Another thing I had been contemplating is mounting a weatherproof box to my outside wall, bringing in an A/C outlet to power the HM so it can stay in the box and using a CAT5 cable to go to the grill to wire the servo, fan and probes. Or just putting a conduit into the house so I can run the CAT5 cable all the way inside from the grill. I don't plan to give up grilling because of winter, so I've got a few ideas I am tossing around... If you come up with any good ideas please share them with us....

Here's mine. Nothing real fancy and probably not exactly what you had in mind. The pictures throw the scale of things off a little bit, and the box isn't quite as big as it looks. Foot print wise it's a pretty good fit for the case. The box could be a little shorter though.

There are others that have done a lot nicer cases that are pretty close to water proof, but for me this is good enough.

IMG_0108_zps66f637d3.jpg

IMG_0107_zpseba20b38.jpg

wsm_zps993e5562.jpg

Excellent, Alan. That was one option Matt and I discussed yesterday for folks that really need it in a hurry, which is just putting the HeaterMeter box into a bigger rainproof box. That whole setup must have cost you no more than $9!

So the HM doesn't need the display to operate? Even with the initial setup?

Alan, I had a similar idea for the tube. My idea is to make the system mount vertically with the tube out the bottom. This would allow any flaws on my weatherproofing to not allow water back into the case. I'd also like to do a rubber waterproof plug on the bottom.

Most important for me will be getting the system running without the display then, once I have things in hand I can put more effort into waterproofing.

I have a question for those in the camp of having 2 boards talking wirelessly. What would a remote brain gain you in functionality that opening PitDroid on your cell phone (or using the web) wouldn't? Is it that the confidence in having a true waterproof box is low? Just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything with my idea.

Thanks for the welcome!

-Michael

So the HM doesn't need the display to operate? Even with the initial setup?

Alan, I had a similar idea for the tube. My idea is to make the system mount vertically with the tube out the bottom. This would allow any flaws on my weatherproofing to not allow water back into the case. I'd also like to do a rubber waterproof plug on the bottom.

Most important for me will be getting the system running without the display then, once I have things in hand I can put more effort into waterproofing.

I have a question for those in the camp of having 2 boards talking wirelessly. What would a remote brain gain you in functionality that opening PitDroid on your cell phone (or using the web) wouldn't? Is it that the confidence in having a true waterproof box is low? Just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything with my idea.

Thanks for the welcome!

-Michael

The HM doesn't need the display (or button) to operate, if you run with a rPi you can do everything through the web interface, though having the button and display to plug in is a plus (you can connect the display with a ribbon cable so it can be disconnected)

The idea of two units working together wirelessly (which exists only as an idea) is essentially a way to leave the grill hardware out at the grill all the time. The HM board and hardware itself is pretty hearty, the rPi and SD card etc not so much... but you are right, you can always control the HM+rPi via web interface from a computer, tablet or smart phone, so if you want to leave your complete HM (with rPi) out at the grill 24/7 there is no real advantage to separating out the units. I just don't think leaving the rPi hardware outside 24/7 is a wise idea, and get sick of pulling the HM unit in and out every time I cook. What I really want is hardware that stays out on my grill that reads the temps and controls the fan and servo, through rain, sleet and snow like the mailman...

Ahh, okay. That also shouldn't be an issue for me because I tote the egg in and out for every cook.

It looks to me that this will be fairly easy to implement. Looks like its time to start ordering parts!

If anyone has other waterproof box ideas (or see one you liked) I would love to see it because that part is certainly still in the air.

If you pull your whole BGE in and out for every cook (the HM along with it) then you shouldn't need to worry about a waterproof case too much. What I do is set the HM on one of my grill shelves and let the leads go out through the space in the slats, then (if it looks like rain) I put the bottom half of a disposable tupperware container upside down over the HM. I've cooked through some pretty heavy rains with this setup without a problem, the only worry would be if wind was able to blow away the tupperware. The one I use has a pretty big lip on the bottom side which fills with water so that weighs it down a bit, haven't had a problem with it blowing away yet.

I have used Orbit 57095 Sprinkler Timer enclosures that have a integrated weather proof GFCI outlet for numerous outdoor projects. Link with interior pictures here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VYGMF2/?tag=TVWB-20

Easily houses wall warts plus equipment, lockable.... has a removable divider. Definitely not small but a lot of possibilities.

I have a few of these Cat5 Cable glands also, should make a nice weatherproof seal for the probes. http://www.titanwirelessonline.com/RJ45-Feedthru-Adapter-p/pe-rj45-ft.htm

I also have a surplus ammo can sitting here I've been eyeballing that one of my SLA batteries fits nicely in for when I want to go mobile......
I cook on a UDS, so I'm thinking the whole frankenstein/ratrod/moonshine still theme will work for me. Trying to dress it up anyway is like putting lipstick on a pig. May as well roll with it... Make for a better conversation piece.

Last edited:
Alan -- sorry to stray off topic, but is there a thread explaining how you attached the table to your smoker? how much weight can you put on it without worrying about tipping?

I will go ahead and bring my old thread from the grave.

With the implementation of the thermocouple I am finally ready to tale the plunge. I ordered an HM with the thermocouple pre-soldered yesterday.

Going with a button-less display-less what parts will I not have to order.

Obviously I will not need the display, the LEDs, the button, or the switch bezel. I think I can also get rid of the 36P header as well.

Is there anything else I will not need to order?

Back