Waterproofing with CorrosionX

Karl Tinsley

I'm almost finished with my new HeaterMeter! HM and blower completed - just making the adapter to mount on the egg. Thanks to everyone for their help.

A couple of years ago, I watched a video on waterproofing RC plane components by spraying them with a non-conductive protectant called CorrosionX. Is there any reason why I shouldn't try this on my HM? I don't expect it to be waterproof so much as weather resistant.

I'm pretty sure that doing this won't hurt anything, but I wanted to check to see if anyone had any experience with this before I did it.

Thanks again!

Yeah, I saw this same vid a few months ago. I was also considering doing this. I have a few boards made, so I may try it and give it the dunk test to see what happens.

I'll be interested to hear your results! I'm going to spray mine, but it's my first (and only) HM, so I'll leave the dunk testing to you!

Id be worried about how you would go cleaning it off if you needed to replace a part.
I looked but I couldn't find any reference to say that it was suitable to be soldered over.

I'm sure you'd want to clean the corrosionx off before trying to solder/resolder. Since it's partly mineral spirits, I'm guessing mineral spirits will remove it.

I've sprayed my HM, and although I haven't dunked it or left it in the rain, I can say that it's working fine after spraying (I avoided spraying the LCD).

At an industry booth at an Aviation Conference years ago, the CorrosionX guys had an operating TV 50% submerged in a tub of water. I was impressed.

Back