Water Pan Question (This one may be a little different)

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
Having only done two cooks on my 22 WSM, I am still learning the ropes. So far on both cooks, I have used a full water pan unfoiled. I didn't mind cleaning it when I was done but that could change. The problem is that when my wife saw me pour the remaining 25% water and grease in "her" kitchen sink she was quite upset. She suggested emptying it on the lawn by the back wall. While I know there is a diversity of opinion about water or no water, foil or no foil, and any number of other opinions, what I want to know from those that use water in the pan is, where is the proper place to empty it.

HELP!!!

I hope I dont get in trouble for admitting this but I dump mine in the corner shrub in my house and kick a little dirt over it. Plant is good and wife is happy. I did the sink deal and I tried the toilet she didnt like that at all.

I don't use the water.. well okay a few times when I needed 225.:wsm:
Please don't dump the grease down the sink or toilet, that stuff will solidify and a potential call to a Plumber with a drain auger will be in you're future.
I let mine cool over-nite than when the fat got solid and settled at the top I scooped that into a plastic coffee can which I kept in the garage freezer.
When it was full I tossed it in the trash.
I do the same with all my drippings and foil using a empty foiled pan.

Tim

This idea just sounds nasty but some people do it, dump the cooled off ash from the charcoal into the water bowl which will make a thick nasty messy clump which can be dumped into a trash bag or just dig a hole in a secluded little spot and pour the water in the hole and fill it back over

Like timothy said if you pour it down the drain you are asking for trouble .When I use water I let it cool first then pour it into a 5 gallon bucket that has at least 2 if not 3 small trash bags in it, tie them up one at a time and in the trash can they go.

No clogged pipes or varmints in the yard. :)

Other than using the clay pan foiled I think letting the grease get hard and putting it in a can will be the best and no wife problems. I don't think I would like pouring it in a corner of the yard. Thanks for the thoulght

This idea just sounds nasty but some people do it, dump the cooled off ash from the charcoal into the water bowl which will make a thick nasty messy clump which can be dumped into a trash bag or just dig a hole in a secluded little spot and pour the water in the hole and fill it back over

Rather than that mess, it works to put you COLD ashes in a plastics trash bag, then add the water to that. Tie up and put in the trash.

I can't believe you all are pouring that mess down a sink or toilet. Stop doing that.

When I used water I poured it in the woods. You could also pour it down a sewer since it's natural.

I can't believe you all are pouring that mess down a sink or toilet. Stop doing that.

When I used water I poured it in the woods. You could also pour it down a sewer since it's natural.

Alan,
The San Fernando Valley is in the suburbs of Los Angeles. There are no woods here. The only access to the sewer is the toilet or the sink. My wife would be very happy if there were woods near were we live. I think I will just go with letting the grease cool and then put it in a can or bag.

I'm sorry Alan I only did it once and will never do it again :)... LOL

most people mean a catch basin when they say that and thats not really a good idea either...pouring it in the woods is awesome if you live in the country , but in the suburbs or city , well...

I once dated a women who put cool bacon grease down the sink, then called me over to fix it. What a disaster. Can't imagine what it would do to a toilet.

I have a hole dug up on side of my house ( 12''x12'' and 6'' deep). After Im done cooking and everything cooled I just dump the ashes there and poor
that nasty water over it. Clean it out into plastic bag whenever I get to it.

Peter

Ash just goes in the trash. In the future though I will put the ash in a small plastic bag. I think I will let the water cool and scoop out the hardened fat and put it in a plastic bag and put in trash. The remaining water is another mater. What to do with it. I can foil the water bowl and that solves the cleaning problem. I may have to try the clay saucer idea to get around the whole issue. Foil it and then put that in the trash. I wonder if that is why people use the no water approach? If I can maintain consistent pit temps with good overall control then that would be good. Trial and error is not always fun but you can learn from it.

Thanks to all for the kind words. This is a great place to learn and be accepted even when we make mistakes.

Back