Water pan full or dry

EBrehob

I am just starting to use my WSM, I have completed two cooks, and wondered what most people do with the pan. Do you fill with water, run it empty or fill with sand?

Now you've done it. Grown men have been known to get into fist fights over this subject. LOL. Kind like lump or briquettes, fat side up or down, foil or no foil, etc.

I've done both and both have their pros and cons. I could say what I like but I recommend you try both and determine what you like better.

I've also done both..I'll go out on a limb here :)...when doing low n slows I fill the H2O pan (notice I didn't say water pan) with hot water. When doing chicken (higher temp) I use a dry pan and foil the inside. I always foil the bottom though on both types of cooks.

I've also done both..I'll go out on a limb here :)...when doing low n slows I fill the H2O pan (notice I didn't say water pan) with hot water. When doing chicken (higher temp) I use a dry pan and foil the inside. I always foil the bottom though on both types of cooks.

I do what Roger said also..:wsm:

Welcome aboard. Here is the text book answer. Water helps keeps temps down in the 225 range and prevents any big temp spikes. Empty pan allows you to run hotter but also is easier to have temps run away from you, hence why weber wants to make it easier for do. Can you make good que with or without, yes.

There's a pretty good argument for using water for a few slow and slow cooks while you get used to the unit and it gets broken in (coated with a nice grease layer to fill in any gaps). Most people get away from it once they're comfortable with the unit - it eats a low of fuel, it can get really awkward when you run out of water and the temp spikes, and if you want to do a high heat cook you'll have to learn to cook without it anyway.

I do have a clay pot base in my pan just to add some extra thermal mass. Evens things out a bit.

I used a clay saucer (foiled) sitting on the water bowl/brackets for the first time this past weekend (no water in the bowl). Absolutely no problem maintaining temps at 230o for a 5 1/2 smoke. In fact, I think I had to pay less attention to the temps doing it this way (instead of water).

I love it. There is some liquid in the saucer at smoke's end but it's so nice not having to dispose of 2-3 gallons of greasy water at the end.

Saucer method (for me) is here to stay.

I tried water when I first started.
I then went to a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan.
Now I just foil the empty water pan, it works the best.

Real men remove the water pan entirely. :)

I run my pan dry. Well, when I say "dry" I mean "with a half inch of grease from previous cooks". I'm trying to get all that gunk to burn out but it's taking a surprising amount of charcoal to do so.

I do what Len Dennis does: a foiled clay saucer. The temps remain very stable and on my 18.5" WSM, I have easier access to the fire pit through the access door.

I have only had 4 or 5 cooks on my WSM, but the last three (chicken, pork butt, baby backs) have been with the clay saucer and have gone extremely well.

Back