Warped centre section on my WSM

Darren Wilson

TVWBB Member
I have owned a 22.5" WSM for about a month now and on checking it today, the top of the centre section has warped out of being perfectly round. The lid is round still as is the bottom of the centre section as sitting perfect in the base.

Anyone got a simple fix to getting the top of the centre section back to being round again?

I was thinking of putting the lid on and using a ratchet strap to try to pull it back in to round but unsure if this will work.

Obviously they are not cheap to purchase and being a month old I am not happy that this has happened.

It has not been knocked over or anything and when not in use has the cover over it.

Is it so warped that you have to force the lid to make it fit?

I'm not familiar with this kind of thing happening with use. It's usually that way right out of the box.

Simple fix. Take a tape measure and measure multiple points around the top of the center section and take note of the longest & shortest measurement. At the longest measurement, GENTLY bear hug the center section giving a squeeze to adjust for roundness. Carefull as a little goes a long way. Keep doing this until your measurements are within 1/4" or so all the way around.

I do this with most grills I get - bowls, lids, center sections... Once you get things pretty close to round, should be good to go.

Is it so warped that you have to force the lid to make it fit?

I'm not familiar with this kind of thing happening with use. It's usually that way right out of the box.

Yes the lid has to be forced on at one side. I have measured both the middle section and the lid and both are not round (the lid less than the centre section)! I have only used it with the door to the front and the thermometer on the lid at the front, and they are both out at different areas where they meet! I am lost to how this could happen especially as the base section and the bottom of the centre section are still perfectly (within a couple of millimetres) round.

There is no actual gap that I can see between where the lid and the inner lip of the centre section meet so "should" be sealed though, but obviously not impressed with the cost of the unit.

I would take it back to the retailer but I have not got the original box any more & Weber UK don't seem to be interested other than selling me new parts (I could buy a complete new one for less!) as they claim it cannot happen unless it has been knocked over - which I know has definitely not happened!

Not a good experience at the moment with the WSM!!!!! It is making think more about building a UDS instead (or even two UDS as would cost less to build both than a replacement WSM)

Last edited:
I think I would try Weber again...sounds like you're pretty upset about this and rightfully so.
Don't use the "It suddenly warped" defense.

Instead note the following...

This is my first WSM.
Remind them that this is a brand new smoker.
I noticed that it was difficult to fit the sections together.
It was suggested that I measure the sections to see what is going on.
I found that the center section was out of round.....(report discrepancies)

That should be enough to get them to send you a new center section and keep their customer happy.

Request to move up the food chain (supervisor) if necessary.

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I am usually good when dealing with customer services but Weber UK's seem to be a nightmare & it is if they want you to lose your temper with them.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy enough with the WSM other than this issue. £500 on a smoker to last 3 weeks (I just got the receipt out) before going out of shape is not good value in any body's book. One thing came to mind earlier on whilst replying to another thread was that at the weekend, at around 5am Sunday morning - after being on for 8 hours - , the water pan fell on to the coals (nobody anywhere near it at the time nor windy), which could be when it went out of shape, but as this is towards the base of the unit - which is still round - I am at a full stop to what could have caused it. I was intending on cooking on it this weekend, but have cancelled that until I can check that it is going to hold temp still as not going to spend money on meat that could be ruined or require a lot more work to keep something that should be fine at temperature.

I have also been told that Weber UK's warranty replacement service is not exactly the fastest, which means that the WSM may just be sitting there imitating the trash can until the replacement part/s turn up!

I can get a new unused empty oil drum for less than £50 and it is looking to be the more favourable option at present than messing around waiting for replacement parts.

Darren, I would definitely abandon the "suddenly going out of shape" thing even though anything could happen.
They will think that you somehow damaged it, simply because this rarely happens and they're not trained to accept this scenario.
As mentioned above, the typical reason for this customer complaint is due to rough handling during shipment.
Perhaps this wasn't noticed until your new WSM was put into service ? <insert wink>

I think if you go with something like my outline in my previous post, you will be OK.

It's unfortunate that Weber UK support is so difficult. If you were in the US and had this complaint, a part would be shipped immediately. I agree with Joe that when dealing with Weber, just stick to the problem statement that "I cannot easily place the lid into the middle section. I have to force it into place. No, I did not drop any parts. I've only used it X number of times over a 1 month period." If they can't/won't make it right, I can't blame you for moving on to a different smoker and selling this one to someone willing to put up with it.

Best,
Chris

I am going to fire it up tomorrow morning and see if there is any smoke coming from around the base of the lid (or anywhere it shouldn't be coming from!). If it still works fine and Weber won't replace parts etc, then I have at least a working smoker, but it would still leave a bitter taste in my mouth from the experience, and make me think twice about buying another (the main reason was because of the 10 year warranty). I placed the lid on a perfectly flat surface and it does rock but that could be grease/gunk on the bottom of it so will have to clean the lip first and try it again tomorrow. I did notice earlier that the grills don't sit centrally on the inner parts any more and do rock slightly, which would say to me that the centre section is "twisted" as well (which is baffling me as it sits under the lean to next to a wall where nothing gets in to other than me).

Anyone got a simple fix to getting the top of the centre section back to being round again?

Did you even attempt?

I placed the lid on a perfectly flat surface and it does rock
I am going to fire it up tomorrow morning and see if there is any smoke coming from around the base of the lid (or anywhere it shouldn't be coming from!)

Remember, these are mass produced stamped steel units. There will be some tolerances which are acceptable as they're not air tight. They're metal-to-metal connections and will leak smoke, especially at fire-up, until they build up junk.

Last edited:
I did attempt the bearhug & squeeze, and managed to get the lid & centre a little rounder where the lid will fit on in certain positions now. Haven't fired up a test burn yet to check for leakage outside of what I would class as within tolerance. Also will check that it can hold temps for a minimum of 8 hours. If not, then will have to sort something out.

Fired up some charcoal this afternoon and put the WSM through its paces to see if it holds temp. Holding temp fine but took longer than usual to get to temperature, even though it was much warmer today than any other time I have used it. Didn't notice any leakage of smoke from where it shouldn't come from, but will keep an eye on it over the next few burns.

Update!!!!

Had a call from a CSR Manager at Weber UK today, who was apologetic and sympathetic to the situation. As I have managed to "round" everything back up again, we have not decided to proceed with replacement parts at this point in time (although it was offered by Weber UK), but it is on record now that the issue arose and if anything like this happens again, then a replacement lid/centre section will be sent out to me.

Faith has been fully restored & thank you to those that have helped with the issue - both on the forum & via PM !

You might try Weber USA to see if someone there can show Weber UK the right way to keep the customer happy.

You might try Weber USA to see if someone there can show Weber UK the right way to keep the customer happy.
Sounds like Darren got a hold of the right person at Weber UK and all is well. (post #13)
Hopefully his previous contact will be sent to the re-education camps.

My smoker warped a little after being used a bunch but I think it's from moving it around to clean it up I have to force lid on once in a blue moon but nothing bad and in US it cost 300 dollars which is cheaper than most gas grills so I wouldn't complain about a slight misfit when it out performs and out last several thousand dollar trailer units..

It is on now with a 4KG (approx 10lb) brisket cooking away. Meat had been on for about 4 hours now & internal temp is already at 175F!!!! I think my "bearhugging" & remodelling of the centre & lid has made a BETTER seal than it was out of the box!!!!! I have had to adjust the bottom vents more times since lighting it than I have in the other dozen times it has been used total!!!

I must invest in a DigiQ 2 or similar to control the temps better without having to keep going out to it!!!!

The UDS build is now on hold temporarily.

I must admit I did have some very good help from someone on the forum with regards to speaking to the right person at Weber UK. I am not going to disclose who as we did everything via PM, but I am extremely grateful for their help. Makes a change for a forum to be something other than a place to argue etc on like a lot of others in any subject turn in to.

I cannot believe it took me so long to join in with the BBQ community online!!! If anybody is visiting the UK (I don't know why you would as the weather is terrible!!!), drop me a message and you are more than welcome to come to mine for some good food.

Sounds like you are living the dream, Darren !
And a generous offer as well !

Keep smokin' that lovely blue smoke !

Back