want to post photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have recommendations on free photo upload sites? I've been recommending HP Photo (as I work for HP) but I've been informed that HP no longer allows photos to be linked to forums or auction listings, so that's out.

What site do you like for easy linking to forum postings?

Regards,
Chris

Chris,
Seeing as you work for HP, maybe you can get an exception for this site. They probably are just not wanting to support e-bay for free any more. I'm sure it's not likely they'll change their mind, but maybe a company suggestion box or something like that might be available to you.

You should be able to do what Steve H. did. You should have upload space available from whoever your ISP is. Ususlly 5MB or so. That space is typically reserved for you to build your own website, but you don't necessarily have to do that in order to have your pix viewable by way of a remote link.

Example... here is one of Steve's photos...
IM000702.JPG

Just by uploading them, they will automatically have a web address that can be linked to and then placed in the body of a message here on the board, without re-directing the readers to another completed (or incomplete) website.

I would urge anyone wishing to post pictures in a thread to heed the guidelines in the FAQ. It is important to note that browsers do not typically resize images to fit the window when displayed in the context of a webpage, so not only are large images-- such as the 1600x1200 one above-- difficult to view on a monitor set at average resolution, their large file sizes put a real burden on the dial-up user as well. Links are better, as they allow individual users to decide for themselves whether they wish to view/wait for a potentially large file.

Steve, you might also wish to consider the possibilty that your ISP may impose bandwidth limits on your account. Making the images smaller also reduces their filesizes, reducing the overall impact that potentially hundreds of views per day might create.

I reason I used the link to my very not ready web site was I did read the FAQ. I did not want to affect dial up users. I did not realize how BIG that photo is. It is a large file. Just what I had to test it with. Looks like I now have 2 hobbies on the weekend for a while....
Yes, I have a 10MB max on my personal web site.

I still don't get how you made the picture show on the forum. What do you do to this? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Hilmer:
[qb]I still don't get how you made the picture show on the forum. What do you do to this? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>From the second bullet in the FAQ on posting photos:

"Click the Instant UBB Code "Image" button, located below the box where you type your message. By pasting the photo's URL into the pop-up box, your photo will be shown "inline" as part of your post. This method is discouraged because of the performance impact it has for people with slow dial-up connections."

Regards,
Chris

Thank you. I will try this with the smaller photos I just posted. I understand your desire not to affect people with dial up, so unless it is somthing real awesome, like a full glass of Bookers or Makers Mark I will send people to my web page /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif .
IM000687ss.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Hilmer:
[qb] Yes, I have a 10MB max on my personal web site.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bear in mind this is your storage limit, as opposed to your bandwidth limit, which may not be specifically published by your ISP. And you may never know about it until you unknowingly surpass what is considered excessive. For example, if you fill your space with 10MB of content, and only friends and relatives occasionally view your pages and photos-- no problem. If, however, that same 10MB is viewed daily by (conservatively) 30 forum visitors, that's 10MB x 30 visitors x 30 days = 9 gigabytes of bandwidth per month, a figure most ISPs may not be counting on for a free personal webspace account.

As a tip, if you size your photos to 500x375, using the .jpg format with 50% compression, you will find them more than acceptably viewable, easy to fit in the format of a typical webpage, and your filesizes will be in the neighborhood of 30-60KB max.

I use ofoto.com. The upload/editing software is pretty good, plus it's a seamless way to get your photos printed (since it's a "Kodak" site).

The downside is that folks have to "register" to see your photos. But, it is unlimited storage for no fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back