Want to buy a 22" smoker--questions

K. Smith

TVWBB Member
We have a large Weber Grill that we use to make pulled pork and brisket using the Cook's Illustrated method which involved smoking for about 2 hours, then finishing in the oven. The pork is delicious, but the brisket needs some work. I'm trying to convince the other half that we need to buy a Weber smoker to make ideal brisket. But, the question that comes up is time.

If we were to smoke a 10 pound brisket, I understand it could take from 10 to 15 hours. Once we start the fire, how much attention does it require and how often? For example, if we got the meat on at midnight, when would we next have to add charcoal and or smoking wood?

Second question, can we burn just wood in it or do we need to use charcoal?

Thanks for your help.

Your primary heat source will be charcoal with wood chunks for smoke.
Yes, it will take between 10 and 15 hours, you may or may not need to add charcoal. There are several factors that play into that part of it.
Once it's seasoned and you learn how to use it the WSM require very little attention.
A 10 pounder would fit on an 18.5" WSM, another option would be something like the Smoke EZ.
Good luck in your quest

A brisket can be done in well under 1hr/lb, depending on not only the cooking temp, but whether it's braised in foil after smoking. However, whether you prefer to cook fairly fast or slow, the WSM is as about as close to a "set it and forget it" smoker as you can get, (by far, the best I know of for under several hundred $). It uses charcoal for fuel and wood chunks for the smoke and there's usually not any need to add much or any more of either during the cook, depending on the meat load, weather, and how it's used.

As a water smoker, it's best to cook in the 225-250 zone for the most efficient use of charcoal, and while it can take a long time, the cooker will most often stay in the desired cooking range with very little vent adjustments. However, many users just foil over the top of the pan to prevent drippings from burning on the bottom of the pan. While this makes the temp fluctuate a bit more and require occasional vent adjustments if wanting to keep the temp solid, it also allows for cooking with a much wider range of temps. For instance, I prefer to starting off smoking a brisket at around 250* and letting the temp climb upwards of 275*, wrapping it once the bark looks how I want it.

You might do some research on the virtual weber bullet info part of the site, and here's a link to the basic premise for how to use the wsm in a "set it and forget it" fashion, called the "Minion method."
http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

K, first of all, welcome to the forum - if time is an issue, you might wish to check out the high heat method of smoking a brisket, outlined here

Regards,

Rooster

You won't be sorry, and I won't try to convince ya to go with the smaller one since you're in Texas. ;) By the way, you support the bullet site by ordering from Amazon via the icon on the site.

Here's a thread I started a few weeks back if you want to check out the best brisket off of my 22 so far. To be honest, the flat could've had more flavor, but that was my fault in not picking one with more marbling.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39434-Evolving-brisket-smoke

Back