Wall Street Journal: Brisket prices and popularity

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
The Journal takes a look at a topic familiar to us here, the current craze for brisket and the simultaneous spike in price. You won't learn much new about it, but it is still an interesting read.

They discuss how the infatuation with Texas-style brisket is spreading across the country. Everyone from Texas pitmasters to Jewish deli owners are feeling the pain.

After charging $9.99 a pound for years, Dana Bunte, who runs Zimmerhanzel’s BBQ in Smithville, a community of 3,900 people about 40 miles southeast of Austin, had to increase the price to $13.49 a pound, and is considering pricing brisket daily to reflect market trends.
“It might have to become like fresh fish,” says Ms. Bunte, who has been in the business 35 years.

Interesting article. I think the brisket craze is a big part of it, but the drought sure isn't helping things either. Ground beef is super high right now.

Make no mistake, I LIKE brisket. However, at these prices I do NOT like it better than pork (in all it's variety). Of course, ALL meat products are seriously raising in prices including chicken. As the drought hurts beef production, it drives some of us to other meats, which represents an increased demand for those (chicken and pork) and leads to higher prices again. It's just something we'll have to live with. Of course, when you run onto a bargain, you might want to think about buying more than you immediately need IF you have some room in the freezer.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back