Vortex wings on the 26"

Looks yum! You Americans have so many zillions of choices of bbq sauce. We are more limited in Canada...harder to find places that stock a ton of choice and then when you do it is very expensive!

Looks yum! You Americans have so many zillions of choices of bbq sauce. We are more limited in Canada...harder to find places that stock a ton of choice and then when you do it is very expensive!
Same here in Costa Rica and if you buy it via Amazon.com you must get special permission from the Ministry of Health which is a added cost to the already high Import Custom Duties. The "Gourmet Commercial Sauce" that is pictured below is about as good as it gets here in Ticoland.

As for sauce for Chicken Wings we do have "Franks Red-Hot Original".

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Great looking wings and sauce, A lot More real state on the 26R.(y)(y)
Oh yeah, this was my first time doing them on the 26", so much room. Actually had to cook them a little longer, guess the 26" takes longer to get hot vs the 22"

Haven't been using the 26" very often, trying to show it some love

This is from a friend of mine back in school. Out of Colorado, ordered some last week. Not sure if they ship to Canada, but you can check them out

Oh yeah, this was my first time doing them on the 26", so much room. Actually had to cook them a little longer, guess the 26" takes longer to get hot vs the 22"

Haven't been using the 26" very often, trying to show it some love

No , its just larger, more space to absorb heat.

Round 2 with the Vortex wings on the 26"er.
This time I nearly maxed out the number of wings I had on the grate!

I kept the wings on the grill longer this time hoping to get a little more crisp out of the skin. I was also watching the football games and keeping my kids busy, so totally didn't notice that my chimney of charcoal completely burnt through on this cook after an hour.

Wings still turned out great. Next time I do a large number of wings again I'll remember to add some extra charcoal about 30 min in.

Also tried a new beer, it was amazing!

IMG_20201003_183047.jpgIMG_20201004_170610.jpg

Awesome looking wings! I really enjoy using my vortex. I recommend a 304SS grate to put on top of it for better heat resistance vs the standard weber grill grate. I pretty much ruined the standard grate with my vortex. I think I was using lump in the vortex with all the vents wide open in my 22" kettle and had the whole thing glowing cherry red! Really fun for searing steaks, tuna steaks, etc..

Awesome looking wings! I really enjoy using my vortex. I recommend a 304SS grate to put on top of it for better heat resistance vs the standard weber grill grate. I pretty much ruined the standard grate with my vortex. I think I was using lump in the vortex with all the vents wide open in my 22" kettle and had the whole thing glowing cherry red! Really fun for searing steaks, tuna steaks, etc..

Totally agree. When I do wings on my 22" I use the GBS grate and remove the center piece. One day I hope to get a KillaGrilla SS grate for my 22".

The 26" kettle comes with a nice beefy stainless steel grate. Seems to handle the Vortex no problem.

Broke in my new grate on the 26" kettle today with a nice vortex wing cook. Noticed on the 26" you have to cook them longer than on the 22" kettle.

Tried some sauce from my friends new company Blonde Beard's. Buffalo sauce called Holy Hell. It's got some kick!

View attachment 14983View attachment 14984View attachment 14985View attachment 14986View attachment 14987View attachment 14988

. I pretty much ruined the standard grate with my vortex.
Yes, the Vortex Medium has placed some non-removable burn marks on my Weber Performer Deluxe Standard Grill. I now use this grill when only using the Vortex and all my other grilling adventures are with a SS SlowNSear Easy Spin Grate.

Hmmmm. I don't remember. We bought them at Costco. They sell them in packs of 3 and this was two of those 3-packs.

We have plenty of left-overs that's for sure!

I usually use the Costco party packs too -- that's probably 8-ish pounds (60-ish pieces) of party wings. I've been searching in vain for an ultra high volume wing-maker (like two Costco 8# packs).

I had high hopes for doing big loads on the 18 WSM. While I can fit that many wings on my 5 cooking grate WSM mod, I can't really get the wings to turn out all that great and it is kind of a pain to manage. So I was thinking about adding kettle/vortex to my stable. But even a 26 wouldn't do that. I guess I'd need a ranch kettle...

Think I'm defaulting back to gasser/GrillGrates for big wing cooks. Fits 10-12 pounds, easy, and the results are reasonably good -- very crispy but you do sacrifice some smokey flavor.

Hmmmm. I don't remember. We bought them at Costco. They sell them in packs of 3 and this was two of those 3-packs.

We have plenty of left-overs that's for sure!

I usually use the Costco party packs too -- that's probably 8-ish pounds (60-ish pieces) of party wings. I've been searching in vain for an ultra high volume wing-maker (like two Costco 8# packs).

I had high hopes for doing big loads on the 18 WSM. While I can fit that many wings on my 5 cooking grate WSM mod, I can't really get the wings to turn out all that great and it is kind of a pain to manage. So I was thinking about adding kettle/vortex to my stable. But even a 26 wouldn't do that. I guess I'd need a ranch kettle...

Think I'm defaulting back to gasser/GrillGrates for big wing cooks. Fits 10-12 pounds, easy, and the results are reasonably good -- very crispy but you do sacrifice some smokey flavor.

Around 60 wings sounds about right. 2 or 3 of them looked like full grown drumsticks!

I'm sure you could rig up a second grate on the 26" somehow. I've heard people using a charcoal grate from a 22" kettle to lower the heat source....might give you the option of stacking a second grate on top of the cooking grate on the 26"

I'm not sure I'll have a need to do more than a fully loaded 26"....I also have two Performers, I'd probably just fire one of those up if I needed even more space.

Ranch Kettle looks cool, but I don't cook that much food. That thing is a monster.

Around 60 wings sounds about right. 2 or 3 of them looked like full grown drumsticks!

I'm sure you could rig up a second grate on the 26" somehow. I've heard people using a charcoal grate from a 22" kettle to lower the heat source....might give you the option of stacking a second grate on top of the cooking grate on the 26"

I'm not sure I'll have a need to do more than a fully loaded 26"....I also have two Performers, I'd probably just fire one of those up if I needed even more space.

Ranch Kettle looks cool, but I don't cook that much food. That thing is a monster.
LOL, cooking something on a Ranch Kettle is on my bucket list, but not sure if my arms are long enough to reach from one side to the other. Might need to get some 36" tongs :ROFLMAO:

Back