Vortex wings...best ever

Scott,
I know right!!! The vortex makes special chicken wings (legs, thighs, quarters) doesn't it. Your look so good! Great test run, for tomorrows wings...right?

BEST wings I have ever fixed. So freaking delicious. First time Vortex user. Seasoned with Owen's Buffalo rub.

After pulling, tossed in some Sweet Baby Rays and then dipped in Buffalo Wild Wings Garlic Parm sauce ...OMG what a combo

View attachment 22219
View attachment 22220
View attachment 22221
Nice Cook as I have both the Small and Medium Size Vortex's. Your bottom photo shows no Aluminum Foil under the Grill Grate,so, how did your clean-up go??

Nice Cook as I have both the Small and Medium Size Vortex's. Your bottom photo shows no Aluminum Foil under the Grill Grate,so, how did your clean-up go??
Yea Scott, I agree with Richard, I take four pieces of foil around the outside of the kettle, and it is so easy clean up. The one time I forgot to do that the wings were still amazing, but man was that clean up a pain in the butt.

I’ve got some wings in the fridge waiting for the snow to stop long enough to set up the Vortex! Maybe tomorrow, it’s only supposed to get to about 17 degrees air temp I don’t want to think about the wind chill!
Yes, how was the cleanup ?

Yea Scott, I agree with Richard, I take four pieces of foil around the outside of the kettle, and it is so easy clean up. The one time I forgot to do that the wings were still amazing, but man was that clean up a pain in the butt.
Can someone show me a picture of how they do theirs? Cleanup wasnt too bad though.

Can anyone comment on how vortex wings compare to non-vortex, when you set up your wings above a large deflector and cook at the same temperature?

I am still waiting for the S6 to become available here to purchase, but I have been stockpiling accessories so they are all here when it arrives. I've been doing wings on my Keg for years, but always high up in the Q, above a deflector, at about 400 degrees or so. They always come out super crispy delicious. Is the vortex really going to make much difference? I've seen comments both ways...

Can someone show me a picture of how they do theirs? Cleanup wasnt too bad though.
Scott,
I think these is the best pic I got. When I vortex some chicken legs tomorrow I will try to remember to get a picture before I put the grate on. I literally take four pieces of foil and place them along the side the kettle, down the charcoal grate and just up the side of the vortex. After the cook I just ball that up and all that chicken goodness that you see here is not caked/cooked on the kettle.
IMG_20200819_205057.jpgl

Can anyone comment on how vortex wings compare to non-vortex, when you set up your wings above a large deflector and cook at the same temperature?

The Vortex gimmick is high heat but indirect. Since direct exposure to high heat flames will give you an inferno.

Cooking above a deflector plate would be another way of doing high heat/no inferno. Which is sort of how I do wings on my gasser equipped with GrillGrates.

The perforated bottom plate of the GGs almost completely eliminates the flare-ups. So I can cook the wings at 400F and higher -- direct but no inferno. My wings come out super crispy and not burned. So fairly similar to Vortex wings, but without the charcoal/smoke flavor.

Last edited:
Has anyone dine boneless skinless breasts on a vortex?

Reason I ask, is im only one in my family to eat bone-in chicken. So I would love to fix some thighs or drumsticks with vortex, but throw on some boneless breasts for family

Boneless chicken breasts grilled via the vortex would be like eating carboard. You would be defeating the purpose of the vortex.
I disagree, the high heat would act like a high heat sauté technique but, you would really want to keep right on top of them. They will turn to MDF (medium density fiberboard) in the blink of an eye. It’s not defeating the design of the Vortex it’s just a different use of the heat source.

I’m cooking vortex wings for the Super Bowl and have some Jalapeño Poppers to throw on - anyone done poppers with the Vortex before? I’m curious how long to leave them on the Kettle.

I disagree, the high heat would act like a high heat sauté technique but, you would really want to keep right on top of them. They will turn to MDF (medium density fiberboard) in the blink of an eye. It’s not defeating the design of the Vortex it’s just a different use of the heat sou

Back