Vortex wings...best ever

I hear what your saying, however in my opinion you would need to put the BB on towards the very end of the cook. You don't want to keep lifting the lid off the kettle, my guess is that they would be done in under 10 minutes.

I disagree, the high heat would act like a high heat sauté technique but, you would really want to keep right on top of them. They will turn to MDF (medium density fiberboard) in the blink of an eye. It’s not defeating the design of the Vortex it’s just a different use of the heat source.
Tim,
What about placing the BSCB is a CI skillet with either a bbq sauce or a sauteing liquid? You guys know I do a lot of veggies in the CI skillet on the kettle. Some of the best ever have been with the vortex. Maybe even a minute or two for each side right on the kettle, then into the CI skillet?

I’m cooking vortex wings for the Super Bowl and have some Jalapeño Poppers to throw on - anyone done poppers with the Vortex before? I’m curious how long to leave them on the Kettle.
I’m planning to make poppers tomorrow and would be curious to hear if anyone has done them with the vortex. If not, I’ll be the guinea pig!

ETA - Looks like it’s been done before on this board with great success.

Wings and Poppers on the Vortex, again and again!

Last edited:
Tim,
What about placing the BSCB is a CI skillet with either a bbq sauce or a sauteing liquid? You guys know I do a lot of veggies in the CI skillet on the kettle. Some of the best ever have been with the vortex. Maybe even a minute or two for each side right on the kettle, then into the CI skillet?
Michael, the idea of sauté is that it uses little liquid otherwise it becomes a braise, not a bad thing but, not necessarily my first thought when using a grill.
CI skillet, a splash of peanut (or avocado) oil and sauté to your hearts content, the Vortex will give AMPLE heat for that possibly more than you might bargain for. Worth the experiment in any case. I’m Vortex it wings today but, it’s something like 12 degrees out there and that is not taking any account for wind chill! Come warmer weather I think we should all do some experimentation and share the results! Who’s in?

Last edited:
Has anyone dine boneless skinless breasts on a vortex?

Reason I ask, is im only one in my family to eat bone-in chicken. So I would love to fix some thighs or drumsticks with vortex, but throw on some boneless breasts for family
Scott, I would try boneless thighs with the skin on if you can find them. I see them here from time to time but not everyday. The skin will keep them from drying out. And throw some drums on for you as well. I usually do drums instead of wings as they have more meat and usually the same price when they have a sale.

IMG_20210206_180312.jpg
I promise I am done with random foil pictures, but this was from tonight when I went to prep the grill for dinner. You can see everything that it caught from today's leg for lunch.

Scott, I would try boneless thighs with the skin on if you can find them. I see them here from time to time but not everyday. The skin will keep them from drying out. And throw some drums on for you as well. I usually do drums instead of wings as they have more meat and usually the same price when they have a sale.
Could also try bone in skin on breasts and cut the bone off yourself before cooking.

Yep, I feel like I’ve posted enough “how to set that up” shots of things which seem fairly obvious( how to light a chimney, how to simplify Vortex cleanup etc, I’m not going to get too caught up in that stuff. A lot of that is pretty much “read the instructions, if you can’t figure that out” stuff.
Helping with some of the basics is one thing but repetitive explanation is wasteful. It’s all fairly easy to search. OK, getting off the soapbox now. Sorry.

Could also try bone in skin on breasts and cut the bone off yourself before cooking.
Learn some knife skills and bone out chickens yourself, it’s really not that tough.
If you start doing that you can lift the whole breast off and bone it out as one piece, pound it out a little and then stuff that, roll the skin and toothpick it in place (to sew it, which makes for even prettier presentation) for a lovely dinner roast for two (or more, depending on the size). Whole birds are generally a LOT cheaper!
I highly recommend Jacques Pépin’s technique for dispatching pretty any large piece of meat or poultry.
If you learn the technique, you can “WOW” people from time to time!

Has anyone dine boneless skinless breasts on a vortex?

Reason I ask, is im only one in my family to eat bone-in chicken. So I would love to fix some thighs or drumsticks with vortex, but throw on some boneless breasts for family
Scott,
This may already been added, but I did some bone in skin on breast with the vortex resently right along side skin on thighs and legs and it come out great. Before service I de-boned the breast and ate the amazing skin while carving
and you would never have known they didn't start as boneless skinless breast. The kids ate that breast meat up while I got almost all the amazing dark meat!

Back